Posted Jul 21, 2011
3:38:58 PM
View profile
Just changed to a Westell 7500 DSL Router and no Microcell connectivity

Hello all - any chance anyone has had to change to the Century Link provided Westell 7500 DSL Router?  Do you know the settings on the router for giving the microcell access to the internet?  Thanks

Hello all - any chance anyone has had to change to the Century Link provided Westell 7500 DSL Router?  Do you know the settings on the router for giving the microcell access to the internet?  Thanks

Just changed to a Westell 7500 DSL Router and no Microcell connectivity

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2011 1:33:42 PM
(0)
Teacher

We have the same modem/router. I called and they sent my husband an email with a link to the instructions. They do have specific instructions for this modem but they were pretty standard from what I understand. It's extremely difficult to find this information from navigating the website, so I would call. I'd send it to you but I don't have access to my husbands email atm. Good luck. I still don't have mine working properly and they can't figure out why, so check with other people on the forums, that seems to be more help.

We have the same modem/router. I called and they sent my husband an email with a link to the instructions. They do have specific instructions for this modem but they were pretty standard from what I understand. It's extremely difficult to find this information from navigating the website, so I would call. I'd send it to you but I don't have access to my husbands email atm. Good luck. I still don't have mine working properly and they can't figure out why, so check with other people on the forums, that seems to be more help.

Re: Just changed to a Westell 7500 DSL Router and no Microcell connectivity

2 of 9 (2,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2011 12:30:28 PM
(0)
Teacher

In searching for answers on the internet, I have only found more problems. Found several people with this modem/router that can't get it to work with the default settings provided my AT&T (myself included). Is there anyone who has this router who has been able to connect and if so what did you have to do?

Found a forum (fixya) with someone asking for help with the same problem we're having, and a lot of people suggested things, but there was never a response that any of them ever worked. Have you had any luck yet?

Amanda

In searching for answers on the internet, I have only found more problems. Found several people with this modem/router that can't get it to work with the default settings provided my AT&T (myself included). Is there anyone who has this router who has been able to connect and if so what did you have to do?

Found a forum (fixya) with someone asking for help with the same problem we're having, and a lot of people suggested things, but there was never a response that any of them ever worked. Have you had any luck yet?

Amanda

3 of 9 (2,962 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2011 4:08:03 AM
(0)
Contributor
Hi All,

I have the same problem. I found if I turn the firewall off in the Westell modem/router the problem goes away. I am looking for a better way than completely turning off the firewall.

Blake
Hi All,

I have the same problem. I found if I turn the firewall off in the Westell modem/router the problem goes away. I am looking for a better way than completely turning off the firewall.

Blake

4 of 9 (2,901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2011 9:34:56 AM
(0)
Contributor

How do you turn off the westtell firewall to have the 3G microcell work?

How do you turn off the westtell firewall to have the 3G microcell work?

5 of 9 (2,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2011 5:55:03 AM
(0)
Teacher

What is the proper order to re-set this thing in as far as power-cycling modem and unplugging microcell cause it seems to me that when I did it properly last time it stayed up for a solid week but I can't seem to re-create what I did and now I'm back to intermittent 3G light flashing. My power went out from a storm and now it's back to it's old antics.

What is the proper order to re-set this thing in as far as power-cycling modem and unplugging microcell cause it seems to me that when I did it properly last time it stayed up for a solid week but I can't seem to re-create what I did and now I'm back to intermittent 3G light flashing. My power went out from a storm and now it's back to it's old antics.

6 of 9 (2,871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2011 2:49:08 PM
(0)
Contributor
Hi All,
Sorry. The firewall fix was short lived. It did not last. Issue is intermitten and it seemed at the time it was working solid. I called ATT and they sent me an e-mail with the same stuff on the web site and made it sound like it was specific instructions for the Westell but it was not. I am and Engineer and I tried to work through it to solve the issue to no avail. There needs to be Westell specific instructions.

Here is what I did to fix it - sort of a brute force method but I was done and the only alternative was to crush the Westell device with my truck.

I put the Westel in passthrough mode - use the advanced tab and on the VC screen change it to bridge mode from routed bridge. I also turned off DHCP on the private LAN tab (check box) and turned off the wireless. Then I added a linksys wireless router (had an old WRT54G hanging around). Plug Internet port on Linksys to port 1 on Westell. Pretend you don't have DSL and connect everything to your external router (Linksys in this case). Plug the Microcell into the Linksys and it just works. BTW - I have been using this config with a cable modem at my primary home for over a year and it just works. Had to get DSL at the lake.

Good luck
Blake
Hi All,
Sorry. The firewall fix was short lived. It did not last. Issue is intermitten and it seemed at the time it was working solid. I called ATT and they sent me an e-mail with the same stuff on the web site and made it sound like it was specific instructions for the Westell but it was not. I am and Engineer and I tried to work through it to solve the issue to no avail. There needs to be Westell specific instructions.

Here is what I did to fix it - sort of a brute force method but I was done and the only alternative was to crush the Westell device with my truck.

I put the Westel in passthrough mode - use the advanced tab and on the VC screen change it to bridge mode from routed bridge. I also turned off DHCP on the private LAN tab (check box) and turned off the wireless. Then I added a linksys wireless router (had an old WRT54G hanging around). Plug Internet port on Linksys to port 1 on Westell. Pretend you don't have DSL and connect everything to your external router (Linksys in this case). Plug the Microcell into the Linksys and it just works. BTW - I have been using this config with a cable modem at my primary home for over a year and it just works. Had to get DSL at the lake.

Good luck
Blake

7 of 9 (2,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2011 7:07:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

Amanda, I just signed on with Frontier DSL and also have the Westell Router. Netgear owns them now, but they have no manual. Could you ask your husband for the directions?

Amanda, I just signed on with Frontier DSL and also have the Westell Router. Netgear owns them now, but they have no manual. Could you ask your husband for the directions?

8 of 9 (2,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2011 9:36:38 AM
(0)
Teacher
We did the same thing that blakenylund did, even turned off our firewall, but it's still not working right. I am calling AT&T today.

The basic settings are listed on AT&Ts website under "AT&T 3G MicroCell Firewall and Router Settings for Advanced Installations" (sometimes linking to their website articles doesn't work incase you have to search for it)
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB110286&cv=820#fbid=m16Otuahgx8

There's a link on that page to related articles including "AT&T 3G Microcell settings for Westell DSL Modem" but that doesn't include settings for the 7500

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB115666

Good luck
We did the same thing that blakenylund did, even turned off our firewall, but it's still not working right. I am calling AT&T today.

The basic settings are listed on AT&Ts website under "AT&T 3G MicroCell Firewall and Router Settings for Advanced Installations" (sometimes linking to their website articles doesn't work incase you have to search for it)
http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB110286&cv=820#fbid=m16Otuahgx8

There's a link on that page to related articles including "AT&T 3G Microcell settings for Westell DSL Modem" but that doesn't include settings for the 7500

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB115666

Good luck

9 of 9 (2,753 Views)