Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 13, 2011
8:29:26 PM
View profile
It's time for a shift in contract terms......

There was a time when a phone purchased under the two year contract was fine. Technology didn't grow as fast, nor did the demands of the customer, the network, etc.

But now the landscape of the wireless industry has completely changed, and continues to do so at an amazing pace. The rapid advancement of operating systems and related apps is also growing at the same pace. 

The older two year contracts are in fact obsolete when considering the extremely quick technology growth. Especially when combined with ATT's total lack of updates. Android 1.5 was released nearly two years ago, and most apps now wont work with it, not to mention the lack of flash and numerous other applications. It appears that android is progressing about three generations a year.

Where does that leave the customer? Those with iphones might be ok, at least the last generation was given the option to upgrade their os. WP7 will also get updates, but being a new os they're probably under more scruteny to 'get it right' than otherwise. The rest of us (android) are pretty much scr$w&# (I'll avoid the custom rom issue, since it technically voids the warranty and isn't an 'easy/simple' option for all).

A one year contract seems much more reasonable these days. I'd have no problem if my phone, which came with update promises (dell streak), saw them. As it is, I'm now stuck with an 18month old operating system that's at leat four generations behind, and can't do many of the things I'd like or need to do.

There was a time when a phone purchased under the two year contract was fine. Technology didn't grow as fast, nor did the demands of the customer, the network, etc.

But now the landscape of the wireless industry has completely changed, and continues to do so at an amazing pace. The rapid advancement of operating systems and related apps is also growing at the same pace. 

The older two year contracts are in fact obsolete when considering the extremely quick technology growth. Especially when combined with ATT's total lack of updates. Android 1.5 was released nearly two years ago, and most apps now wont work with it, not to mention the lack of flash and numerous other applications. It appears that android is progressing about three generations a year.

Where does that leave the customer? Those with iphones might be ok, at least the last generation was given the option to upgrade their os. WP7 will also get updates, but being a new os they're probably under more scruteny to 'get it right' than otherwise. The rest of us (android) are pretty much scr$w&# (I'll avoid the custom rom issue, since it technically voids the warranty and isn't an 'easy/simple' option for all).

A one year contract seems much more reasonable these days. I'd have no problem if my phone, which came with update promises (dell streak), saw them. As it is, I'm now stuck with an 18month old operating system that's at leat four generations behind, and can't do many of the things I'd like or need to do.

It's time for a shift in contract terms......

33 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(33)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 10:45:39 AM
(0)
Expert

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
Here wego again......speculation,proof? Give it up. I guess u never heard the expression,u know what time it is. Whatever ..... Ur sarcasm is misplaced. This is what time it is. The vendors will sell it at the same inflated price. Why?.....because that's what the market Will bear. Falls under supply & demand. U have heard of that? Comprende?

Actually no I don't since you are the one claim it, it is your swag. You are 100 percent correct - Vendors WILL sell it for what ever they can get for it - Basic Business Management 101, the main objective is to make a profit, they don;t do that - then there is no reason to be in business. Deal or leave.  I have the product you want it - pay my price or go somewhere else - gotta love capitalism at it's best.

Enjoy your day, I am done here

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
Here wego again......speculation,proof? Give it up. I guess u never heard the expression,u know what time it is. Whatever ..... Ur sarcasm is misplaced. This is what time it is. The vendors will sell it at the same inflated price. Why?.....because that's what the market Will bear. Falls under supply & demand. U have heard of that? Comprende?

Actually no I don't since you are the one claim it, it is your swag. You are 100 percent correct - Vendors WILL sell it for what ever they can get for it - Basic Business Management 101, the main objective is to make a profit, they don;t do that - then there is no reason to be in business. Deal or leave.  I have the product you want it - pay my price or go somewhere else - gotta love capitalism at it's best.

Re: It's time for a shift in contract terms......

31 of 34 (202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 12:34:40 PM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

LOL. Fortunately, we do have some consumer protection laws. Unfortunately, our government entities frequently fail us.

wingrider01 wrote:

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:

LOL. Fortunately, we do have some consumer protection laws. Unfortunately, our government entities frequently fail us.

32 of 34 (189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2011 2:55:06 PM
(0)
Mentor
VZW has 1 year contracts, $70 more than 2 year commitment price.
VZW has 1 year contracts, $70 more than 2 year commitment price.

33 of 34 (181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2011 12:15:11 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by pamelaz on Feb 27, 2011 at 9:04:55 PM

Actually no u dont?understand supply & demand. {Please keep it courteous} All the price gougers stick together to keep prices inflated. 

Actually no u dont?understand supply & demand. {Please keep it courteous} All the price gougers stick together to keep prices inflated. 

[ Edited ]
34 of 34 (163 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments