It is very important that I backup all of my text messages. How can I do this?

Mentor

Message 1 of 9 (1,063 Views)
Guru

Re: It is very important that I backup all of my text messages. How can I do this?

Have you tried using PIMBackup? If you take the time to enter something like

"backing up text"  in the 'search' blank above, you might find some answers.

Message 2 of 9 (1,049 Views)
Mentor

Re: It is very important that I backup all of my text messages. How can I do this?

I did do a search but did not find anything specific to my device.... My terms were a little different, maybe thats why I didn't find anything....

Message 3 of 9 (1,045 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

I found this site: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=299705

BUT if you look at the file names it says PPCPimBackupV2.8_wm2005.zip. How do I know this is compatable with a Tilt 2 with WM 6.5?

ALSO on dotfreds website it says right in plain view Smartphones are NOT supported...

Requirements:
- Pocket PC 2003
- Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC
- WM6/6.1/6.5 Professional devices

Not supported:
- Smartphones

The Tilt 2 is a smartphone in all aspects. So I'm assuming it isn't compatable.

Message 4 of 9 (1,041 Views)
Master

No worries, it should work just fine.

Message 5 of 9 (1,035 Views)
Professor

jshoe22 wrote:

I found this site: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=299705

BUT if you look at the file names it says PPCPimBackupV2.8_wm2005.zip. How do I know this is compatable with a Tilt 2 with WM 6.5?

ALSO on dotfreds website it says right in plain view Smartphones are NOT supported...

Requirements:
- Pocket PC 2003
- Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC
- WM6/6.1/6.5 Professional devices

Not supported:
- Smartphones

The Tilt 2 is a smartphone in all aspects. So I'm assuming it isn't compatable.

Actually, the meaning of the word "smartphone" has morphed over time, and doesn't really have any firm definition.  At the moment, the word seems to be used for any phone with Pocket PC-like capability.

In the past, the term "smartphone" was often used for any phone with internet access, but no QWERTY keyboard or touchscreen; and differentiated from "PDA phones" and "Pocket PCs".  So that is probably why the PIMBackup specs say that smartphones are not supported.

I've seen plenty of people on these forums and XDA that use PIMBackup, so you should be fine, as another already stated.

Message 6 of 9 (1,021 Views)
Teacher

Have you tried Microsoft MyPhone ?  It reportedly backs up this information.

Message 7 of 9 (968 Views)
Professor

Microsoft MyPhone does back up text messages, this is true. You can even manage them online and sync them to other WinMo devices.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 9 (928 Views)
Scholar

Lookout available in the Windows Marketplace also backs up text messages.  I do not believe the app is limited to Windows devices.  It also provides virus protection and the ability to locate your lost phone.

Message 9 of 9 (903 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.