Issues with purchasing iphone in US for use overseas

Issues with purchasing iphone in US for use overseas

Hello

My father purchased 2 iphones here in the US for use in NZ.  This was November 2010, and he wasn't aware of the provider issues etc.  He has been contacting Apple in New Zealand who keep advising it is an issue from AT&Ts end and the iphones need to be unlocked.  AT&T advises it's Apple USA issues, since a contract was never signed with AT&T, but Apple USA refer back to AT&T saying regarding of if a contract was signed/activated, the phone was still locked with AT&T.   I know you can buy unlocked phones, however he wasn't aware of this at the time, and wasn't advised of it in the store.  Once he went to give the phones to the people he purchased them for, and went around in circles in NZ for some time, the time allowed to return had expired.

After going around in cirlces for months both in the US and NZ all my father now needs is a contact email address for AT&T that someone can confirm that it is an issue Apple needs to fix, not AT&T.  Can someone assist?

Thanks

Alice

Message 1 of 10 (624 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Issues with purchasing iphone in US for use overseas

Hi there!

Maybe I can shed some light on this issue!

If the iPhone is locked to AT&T, then you will not be able to use the phone with another GSM carrier's SIM card as it will ask for an unlock code. Do NOT try to figure out the code yourself as after 3 failed attempts, it will require a PUK code.

For eligibility on unlocking the iPhone, you will need be an AT&T customer for at least 6 consecutive months and contacting Customer Care. You can do this by dialing 611 from your AT&T phone. Smiley Happy

Let us know if you have any more questions!

-Evandela
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 10 (612 Views)

Hi Evandela,

Thanks for your reply!  When he bought it he didn't sign any AT&T contract or get a phone number, but I've read that this doesn't matter, it's still technically locked to AT&T.

So if we sign both phones up to AT&T, we can then cancel 6 months later and unlock to use with a service provider in NZ?
Is that correct?  Would it still as for an unlock code then, or would it instantly be unlocked?  Wish I'd asked this 6 months ago!

Thanks

Alice

Message 3 of 10 (609 Views)
Master

I don't have an email address but it really does not matter.  It is policy that No iPhone sold in the US will be unlocked. There is an option that just became available within the last few months to purchase an unlocked iPhone from an Apple store but that does not Apply to you and was not available at the time the phones were purchased.  It is on the boxes that the iPhones came in that the phones were for use on the ATT network.  it is not really known for certain if this is ATT's policy, Apple's or both but neither company will unlock an iPHone sold for use on ATT's network!

Your best bet is to sell them before the new model comes out to maximize your return on investment and purchase the correct iPhone for your carrier and/or buy an unlocked model.  This topic has been discussed thoroughly here with the same result.  An ATT iPhone will not be unlocked under any circumstances!

Sorry!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 4 of 10 (606 Views)
Master

Evandela wrote:

For eligibility on unlocking the iPhone, you will need be an AT&T customer for at least 6 consecutive months and contacting Customer Care. You can do this by dialing 611 from your AT&T phone. Smiley Happy

Unless something has changed VERY recently, This policy does NOT apply for iPhones!  This is an option for most other GSM based phones sold by ATT.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 5 of 10 (605 Views)
ACE - Professor

Hmm.. so it doesn't apply to iPhones I see! Guess I'll have to research this more! Smiley Tongue But thanks for the correction, your awesome! Smiley Happy

-Evandela
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 10 (595 Views)

That sounds like what I've been told here locally in the US, but Apple in New Zealand are saying something different from memory...

Message 7 of 10 (594 Views)
Master

amacgregor41 wrote:

That sounds like what I've been told here locally in the US, but Apple in New Zealand are saying something different from memory...

There have been others who have said that NZ has directed folks back to the US but no one here has gotten beyond this policy.  You might want to try Google for options beyond what can be discussed here!

Message 8 of 10 (591 Views)

Thank you, seems like he is stuck with 2 I Phones that cannot be used.

Message 9 of 10 (451 Views)
Highlighted
Master

amacgregor41 wrote:

Thank you, seems like he is stuck with 2 I Phones that cannot be used.

Ebay is a good option.  There are some companies that buy used equipment and are offering something.  Nextworth is one.  It is not as good as you can get from ebay since they need to make something to cover their expenses.

Message 10 of 10 (422 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.