Issues with Porting # From Contract Plan to a pay as you go phone within AT&T

Contributor

Issues with Porting # From Contract Plan to a pay as you go phone within AT&T

Hi-

I was hoping someone could assist me. 

I have a ATT contract plan and I am temporarily living out of the country for business and plan to return to US within a year. I decided to unlock my phone and buy a pay as you go SIM card in the country I am temporarily living in since most of my calls will be made to and from other countries and ATT international plans aren't ideal for this situation. I looked into porting my cell number to google voice or other services but I am unable to. I think because they aren't setup to port my area code.  Thus I thought  I could possibly  keep my current cell phone # and switch to a AT&T pay as you go for the 10c per minute plan they currently off. Then friends, buisnesses etc could call me and get a voicemail message where I tell them I am out of the country and I could keep my number.

Here is the issue....AT&T customer service reps keep telling me that I have to go into the store to transfer my number within AT&T from a contract plan to a pay as you go plan.  I can't go to an AT&T store for about 6 months or so.  I don't understand why this would be the situation as I could purchase a go phone online for $15.00 and port my number from a different company all without stepping foot inside a store. It seems like the company would work with me under these circumstances to keep a customer.  As the only option to keep me is to let me do this all online or over the phone.

So my questions for the forum are this: 1) Is this true that I have to go into the store to accomplish porting a number from a AT&T contract plan to a pay as you go plan?  2) If this is true, why is this the case? and 3) does anyone have any other solutions for me as I want to keep my cell # for when I return to the states but, I do not plan to use the number for a lengthy time and I am looking for a cheap way to accomplish this.

Thank you

Message 1 of 3
Professor

Re: Issues with Porting # From Contract Plan to a pay as you go phone within AT&T

Try the AT&T International chat . The chat button is at the right hand side near the top. They may be more familiar with issues related to International travel.

Message 2 of 3
Contributor

Re: Issues with Porting # From Contract Plan to a pay as you go phone within AT&T

Thanks for nothing AT&T.  You lost a customer by simply not getting me in touch with anyone at the company that can take care of my issue--a simple mailing of a phone and porting a cell # within the company could have kept me an AT&T customer for life.  I will definitely go out of my way to avoid your services and when I return to the states I will be seeking service from another cell phone company.

Message 3 of 3
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support