Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 10, 2011
6:55:49 AM
View profile
Issues with Porting # From Contract Plan to a pay as you go phone within AT&T

Hi-

I was hoping someone could assist me. 

I have a ATT contract plan and I am temporarily living out of the country for business and plan to return to US within a year. I decided to unlock my phone and buy a pay as you go SIM card in the country I am temporarily living in since most of my calls will be made to and from other countries and ATT international plans aren't ideal for this situation. I looked into porting my cell number to google voice or other services but I am unable to. I think because they aren't setup to port my area code.  Thus I thought  I could possibly  keep my current cell phone # and switch to a AT&T pay as you go for the 10c per minute plan they currently off. Then friends, buisnesses etc could call me and get a voicemail message where I tell them I am out of the country and I could keep my number.

Here is the issue....AT&T customer service reps keep telling me that I have to go into the store to transfer my number within AT&T from a contract plan to a pay as you go plan.  I can't go to an AT&T store for about 6 months or so.  I don't understand why this would be the situation as I could purchase a go phone online for $15.00 and port my number from a different company all without stepping foot inside a store. It seems like the company would work with me under these circumstances to keep a customer.  As the only option to keep me is to let me do this all online or over the phone.

So my questions for the forum are this: 1) Is this true that I have to go into the store to accomplish porting a number from a AT&T contract plan to a pay as you go plan?  2) If this is true, why is this the case? and 3) does anyone have any other solutions for me as I want to keep my cell # for when I return to the states but, I do not plan to use the number for a lengthy time and I am looking for a cheap way to accomplish this.

Thank you

Hi-

I was hoping someone could assist me. 

I have a ATT contract plan and I am temporarily living out of the country for business and plan to return to US within a year. I decided to unlock my phone and buy a pay as you go SIM card in the country I am temporarily living in since most of my calls will be made to and from other countries and ATT international plans aren't ideal for this situation. I looked into porting my cell number to google voice or other services but I am unable to. I think because they aren't setup to port my area code.  Thus I thought  I could possibly  keep my current cell phone # and switch to a AT&T pay as you go for the 10c per minute plan they currently off. Then friends, buisnesses etc could call me and get a voicemail message where I tell them I am out of the country and I could keep my number.

Here is the issue....AT&T customer service reps keep telling me that I have to go into the store to transfer my number within AT&T from a contract plan to a pay as you go plan.  I can't go to an AT&T store for about 6 months or so.  I don't understand why this would be the situation as I could purchase a go phone online for $15.00 and port my number from a different company all without stepping foot inside a store. It seems like the company would work with me under these circumstances to keep a customer.  As the only option to keep me is to let me do this all online or over the phone.

So my questions for the forum are this: 1) Is this true that I have to go into the store to accomplish porting a number from a AT&T contract plan to a pay as you go plan?  2) If this is true, why is this the case? and 3) does anyone have any other solutions for me as I want to keep my cell # for when I return to the states but, I do not plan to use the number for a lengthy time and I am looking for a cheap way to accomplish this.

Thank you

Issues with Porting # From Contract Plan to a pay as you go phone within AT&T

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 10:43:09 PM
(0)
Professor

Try the AT&T International chat . The chat button is at the right hand side near the top. They may be more familiar with issues related to International travel.

Try the AT&T International chat . The chat button is at the right hand side near the top. They may be more familiar with issues related to International travel.

Re: Issues with Porting # From Contract Plan to a pay as you go phone within AT&T

2 of 3 (727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 12:52:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for nothing AT&T.  You lost a customer by simply not getting me in touch with anyone at the company that can take care of my issue--a simple mailing of a phone and porting a cell # within the company could have kept me an AT&T customer for life.  I will definitely go out of my way to avoid your services and when I return to the states I will be seeking service from another cell phone company.

Thanks for nothing AT&T.  You lost a customer by simply not getting me in touch with anyone at the company that can take care of my issue--a simple mailing of a phone and porting a cell # within the company could have kept me an AT&T customer for life.  I will definitely go out of my way to avoid your services and when I return to the states I will be seeking service from another cell phone company.

Re: Issues with Porting # From Contract Plan to a pay as you go phone within AT&T

3 of 3 (697 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments