Issues with Captivate connected to EDGE

Explorer

Issues with Captivate connected to EDGE

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same issues when connected to EDGE as I have. Those issues are, Complete inability to send text or picture messages and "delays" in dialing numbers. When I say delay I mean that it will either try to connect and drop the call before it starts to ring, or will take ~10 seconds for it to start ringing, once connected everything seems to be fine, hasn't dropped a call on edge. I also understand that using the internet would be slow on EDGE, but barely anything works like it should, even giving it the necessary amount of wait time, which wouldn't be an issue, if it worked. Something I also thought was very strange, the GPS wouldn't lock when I was on edge, waited for a minute with a GPS status app and got nothing.  As for 3G which I'm on 95% of the time everything works great, not one issue yet. But this stuff with EDGE is really odd, so has anyone else encountered this? And i'm sorry if i missed a previous post.

Message 1 of 22
Master

Re: Issues with Captivate connected to EDGE

There is one important aspect that makes a big difference when your phone is on EDGE: it can't handle data and voice call at the same time. Given that the Captiva constantly need data connection for so many running apps, it might be that the Captivate didn't correctly implement the feature that let voice dialing have the prority over data connection. Hence the wait.

As for your GPS thing, besides the common complaint abou the Captivate GPS, you may have another issue: GPS assitence. I'm not sure exactly how that works. But I know this: each 3G (WCDMA) tower has its own GPS chip built-in in order for (W)CDMA radio to work properly. However, EDGE (GSM) towers may not have GPS chip built-in. Hence you're less likely to get cell tower assistance to have a quick fix.

Message 2 of 22
Explorer

Thanks for that response Fox, it was very informative. But the question still remains, why would a text message or multimedia massage fail every time on EDGE, any thoughts? Just so its known, when i tried to send the Multimedia message i had full signal, for the text it was bouncing between 3-4 bars.

Message 3 of 22
Master

Sorry, I can't help you there. I don't send either text messages or MMS. For MMS, it will be using the data connection.

Message 4 of 22
Teacher

There is no 3g where I live. Only Edge. I have not been able to text a picture with this phone yet. I can recieve them but sending fails every time. I popped my SIM card back in my Nokia e71x and it sent pictures just fine. Anybody know what's up with this?

Message 5 of 22
Scholar

brefmint wrote:

There is no 3g where I live. Only Edge. I have not been able to text a picture with this phone yet. I can recieve them but sending fails every time. I popped my SIM card back in my Nokia e71x and it sent pictures just fine. Anybody know what's up with this?

wish i knew.. ive tried 3 different sim cards and they all do the same.  i went to a 3g area and actually got it to work there.    Ive tried calling CS many times but nothing concrete fix so far..... although the last time they "found" something wrong on the backend of my account that was said to take a week to fix, then it "should" work... ill see in about 4 days.  its very annoying, but at least my phone makes phone calls.

Message 6 of 22
Teacher

Message 7 of 22
Teacher

Today I went to the ATT store where I bought my Captivate. I told them about my phone not sending picture texts. They quickly had a lame excuse about the camera taking pictures with too many pixels to send over Edge. I then explained that I was having the same problem when trying to send old pictures that were taken with a low res camera. That had no answer for me and after trying to talk me into trading it for an Iphone they called tech support. After an hour on the phone with tech support I received no answer. The folks at tech support haven't had any related reported cases. I was told that they will call me tomorrow after doing some more research. I have little faith in them solving this issue quickly.
I don't want an Iphone 4 but what other options do I have? If you are having problems sending MMS please call tech support so they will take this issue seriously.

Message 8 of 22
Teacher

It's been 4 days and they haven't called yet? Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 22
Master

It has been identified by others that if you can keep your photos within 100KB cap, you will be able to send them via EDGE. Obviously 3G has a larger cap (300KB). The cap is enforced at network level. So, unless there is new firmware out for Captivate to fix this issue, there is very little AT&T can do it for you right now.

Message 10 of 22
Contributor

but the cap for most new phones is 600kb.  The E71x should even send that over EDGE.  Why would we make our pics smaller than 100kb when this phone is supposed to be top of the line?

Message 11 of 22
Master

A firmware bug maybe? Along with GPS bug, exchage bug and many other bugs. You're not going to get any solution from AT&T until Samsung releases updates. Right now, I'd bet all their resources are on fixing that embarassing GPS bug that affects all Galaxy S phones world wide.

Message 12 of 22
Teacher

Well It doesn't look like they are going to have this issue fixed any time soon. Bummer. I really like this phone but this is unacceptable.

Message 13 of 22
Teacher

Here's a workaround. Go into the camera settings and change resolution to 3.2MP and Image quality to Fine. Crippling the camera isn't a fix by any means but changing these settings will allow you to send the pics over EDGE.

Message 14 of 22
Mentor

Also notice beyond the mms issues on edge i also noticed my Facebook uploads fail on edge. Just seems like an upload issue on edge period.
Message 15 of 22
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support