Is there a department that specifically handles porting?

Scholar

Is there a department that specifically handles porting?

I am trying to port my number to another carrier and they claim ATT owns my number and it can't be ported out.

I really want to keep my number, is there any department that specifically handles this?  I'd be really bummed if ATT wouldn't release my number, since I've had the same one for over 10 years.

[I was recently transitioned to ATT from Verizon.]

Message 1 of 14
Scholar

Re: Is there a department that specifically handles porting?

Never mind... after a morning on the phone... it really isn't an ATT thing.  The FCC won't let my number go back to Verizon, so as much kicking and screaming as I had done, it looks like I'll be an ATT customer now.  I really have no other choice.

Message 2 of 14
Guru

I know you are part of the customer who were transfered from Verizon to AT&T but still there should be no problem to port out your number again with Verizon. Remember that port out requests must start with the wireless provider you're going to activate service with, A.K.A. Verizon. Give them a call and explain your issue, if the port out (or port in for them) is approved then they will continue the procedure of activating a new Verizon account for you.

Now that I think about it the reason of why you can't transfer back your number back with Verizon is that it may be still registered with them in that same account that was going to be transfered to AT&T, cancelled but still registered. Give them a call anyway, you lose nothing by doing it.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 14
Scholar

Actually, I did go to Verizon first... they first claimed AT&T owned my number.  Hence my desire to talk to AT&T to see if it could be released.

After a morning full of phone calls, it appears the FCC is the one blocking Verizon from porting my number back to them.  I can however port it to Sprint or some other carrier, just not Verizon.

The really sticky part was, I could port it to Alltel, then in a few months when Verizon merges all of their Alltell customers over to Verizon it make me a Verizon customer.  Of course, I may lose my number in the process... since its basically blacklisted with Verizon by the FCC.

What a mess.

Message 4 of 14
Guru

belome wrote:

What a mess.

Indeed.

I know your number is important for you but if you really want to keep your service with Verizon maybe you should get a new phone number anyway. I mean, that's better than get yourself locked into a contract with a carrier and a service you don't want to have.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 14
Scholar

Yeah, at this point my phone number means more to me.  I have been trying to think back to how long I've had it and it has to be at least fifteen years with a carrier with many different names.  (Century Cellunet, CenturyTel, Alltel, Verizon)  ((Yeah, I'm showing my age))

Luckily, I have a z-Boost at my house so it works OK inside.  Although, I was really mad when it wouldn't work near my hottub the other night and I missed a few important calls.

Looking at the Atrix right now.  They 'claim' they will be able for me to keep my unlimited data plan if I switch to it.  Fingers crossed at this point.

Message 6 of 14
Guru

Ensure that they will keep the Unlimited Data Plan for you, if not you'll be locked to the tiered Data Plans without the possibility of having unlimited data again.

Good luck.

Message 7 of 14
Scholar

I was pretty worried about that also, the salesguy claims I will lose it then they will 'create a case' and I will get it back.

Do you think there is any chance 'a case' will let me get it back?

Message 8 of 14
Guru

To be honest, I have no idea. :V

But no, make sure they keep the Unlimited Data Plan since the moment they transfer the number to AT&T. There have been bad experiences from customer when during the activation they say something and then when the customer calls to Customer Care it's completely different.

Don't want to scare you, of course, but with the Unlimited Data expired it's good to be as cautious as possible.

Message 9 of 14
Scholar

Yeah, I have read many complaints just on this board alone.

I do have unlimited data right now with the free phone they gave me (Captivate) but since I'm stuck with ATT I want a better phone.

The weird thing is, before the transition if I wanted a better phone I needed to get an ATT plan, now they are willing to let me keep my Verizon plan and upgrade to a better phone.  [or so they claim.]

I'm afraid that in the end I'll probably lose something along the way.

Message 10 of 14
Guru

That's why you need to check every momement they do with your account, especially if you're planning to upgrade your line. Just hope for the best.

Message 11 of 14
Master

Yikes I had heard that some numbers weren't portable back to Verizon. Good luck, belome.

I will have to check my number again. Hmmmm...
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 14
Scholar

So far so good, I'm officially a real ATT customer now.

Have the Motorola Atrix and I really think I'm going to like it.

My account still says unlmited data, so my fingers are crossed.

Message 13 of 14
Master

Well for me, the HTC Aria is going back next week. There are several areas within the CMA that I visit regularly and the AT&T network is EDGE or GPRS (voice only) in those locations. I had CDMA voice and 3G with Verizon before. Where I have AT&T 3G, the speed isn't that much better than Verizon and the upload is worse than Verizon.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 14
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support