Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 2, 2011
8:22:34 AM
View profile
Is tethering my cell phone a possibility in connecting to the internet?

I am currently using Hughsnet satellite internet and seeking a way out of the nightmare.  I can use my cell phone as a modem via bluetooth to connect to the internet and it is significantly faster than my Hughsnet connection.  I have used this connection method once as a test and it worked fine.  I do not have a plan and would hate to see a bill using tethering without a plan.  So, I am seeking direction on what to do.  I have seen the Datapro personal with tethering for 45 dollars, but am not sure if this is right for my situation.  And before anyone asks, I cannot get DSL, or Cable.  I am located in a rural area, but we recently have been included in the 3G network, which I am hoping will give me an opportunity to get out from under Hughsnet.  So, I suppose my question is what would work for my situation?  What plan?  And how do I get it added to my current plan?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am currently using Hughsnet satellite internet and seeking a way out of the nightmare.  I can use my cell phone as a modem via bluetooth to connect to the internet and it is significantly faster than my Hughsnet connection.  I have used this connection method once as a test and it worked fine.  I do not have a plan and would hate to see a bill using tethering without a plan.  So, I am seeking direction on what to do.  I have seen the Datapro personal with tethering for 45 dollars, but am not sure if this is right for my situation.  And before anyone asks, I cannot get DSL, or Cable.  I am located in a rural area, but we recently have been included in the 3G network, which I am hoping will give me an opportunity to get out from under Hughsnet.  So, I suppose my question is what would work for my situation?  What plan?  And how do I get it added to my current plan?

Is tethering my cell phone a possibility in connecting to the internet?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 8:54:21 AM
(0)
Expert

This forum is in relation to AT&T's U-Verse service, which is a land-wiring based system for delivery of TV, Voice telephone service, and Internet.

You would probably get a better answer to your question by posting in the Wireless forum.  Click the tab up at the top of the web page that says "Wireless" to go to that forum.

This forum is in relation to AT&T's U-Verse service, which is a land-wiring based system for delivery of TV, Voice telephone service, and Internet.

You would probably get a better answer to your question by posting in the Wireless forum.  Click the tab up at the top of the web page that says "Wireless" to go to that forum.

Re: Is tethering my cell phone a possibility in connecting to the internet?

2 of 4 (1,700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 11:56:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  Will repost in a more appropriate forum.

Thanks for the reply.  Will repost in a more appropriate forum.

3 of 4 (1,644 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 1:56:23 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 2, 2011 at 1:57:14 PM

MacCoinneach wrote:

Unless you use internet very sparingly it is not worth it. Internet tethering is has a capped data plan - 2GB for 25.00 with the tethering cost of an additional 20.00 for the 45.00.  costs can add up fast. You could go with a USB cell modem, but it is capped also, but at 5GB

MacCoinneach wrote:

Unless you use internet very sparingly it is not worth it. Internet tethering is has a capped data plan - 2GB for 25.00 with the tethering cost of an additional 20.00 for the 45.00.  costs can add up fast. You could go with a USB cell modem, but it is capped also, but at 5GB

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (1,615 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments