Helpful Links

Is new 2GB data cap enough for iphone 4?

Tutor

Is new 2GB data cap enough for iphone 4?

First time i have owned a smartphone, wondering if the new 2GB data cap is enough for iphone 4. I imagine i will use it a lot, do have wifi at home though.

Message 1 of 34
Mentor

Re: Is new 2GB data cap enough for iphone 4?

arthurbswartz wrote:

how much data do you think push notifications use?

it really depends what app it is..no tell.. but when iam gonna turn all my notications off but facebook and WW..alot of push nots =alot of data during the day..

Message 16 of 34

yea that does make sense, thanks for that

Message 17 of 34
Mentor

yea man no problem

Message 18 of 34
Scholar

tferrara5 wrote:

First time i have owned a smartphone, wondering if the new 2GB data cap is enough for iphone 4. I imagine i will use it a lot, do have wifi at home though.

It depends on how you use it.  Regardless, you will have to think about it and monitor it for a while.

I set my iPhone in a Universal Dock that's plugged into a stereo receiver -- internet radio sounds great over the home stereo.  Between that and working out, I stream at least a couple hours a day.  Combined with Exchange ActiveSync and moderate browsing, a few cloud services that sync, and I'm regularly between 3-4 gb per month -- fortunately, I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan so I don't have to worry about it.

Personally, I think they should've gone with 5gb instead of 2 for the metered plan.  No matter how little data you use today, more and more services are coming out that with regular use, will put you over that 2gb limit Smiley Sad

Message 19 of 34
Teacher

i am a heavy internet user on my iphone and i looked at my last months usage and it was only around 1.2 gigs and ive been on it alot more since i was away without my computer

Message 20 of 34
Teacher

Use WiFi when you can and you will be ok.

Message 21 of 34
Tutor

2 GB may be enough for some but as a person who commute to NYC everyday and use iphone for news and audio/video streaming it is not sufficient even when I strictly use 3G while on road and use wi-Fi home and office. I have to be very restrictive in usage. All other carriers are offering lower combined price for voice/data/text and AT&T doing it other way.

Message 22 of 34
Professor

Ksanil23 wrote:

2 GB may be enough for some but as a person who commute to NYC everyday and use iphone for news and audio/video streaming it is not sufficient even when I strictly use 3G while on road and use wi-Fi home and office. I have to be very restrictive in usage. All other carriers are offering lower combined price for voice/data/text and AT&T doing it other way.

I wonder if the majority of the audio/video you stream could be downloaded via iTunes on your computer and then synced to your device.  It would certainly download faster and eliminate any stuttering in the media while watching it.  Doing it that way would also reduce the strain on the network.

Message 23 of 34
Scholar

I am averaging around 800 megs for the month each month. But I also listen to Pandora a bunch. Besides that I don't use much internet. Just mostly pandora.

Message 24 of 34
Professor

Data usage varies person to person. Most get away with 2GB of data usage. You do have to curtail any habits grown if you were an unlimited and dropped it for the $5 savings. AT&T messages you via SMS if setup on your account information on a daily notice. I generally spend 50-75MB a day which is between 26 days and 40 days.

You can use your AT&T Wireless app that uses very little in KBs to fetch the information. If I was to place a hazard guess it's 30KBs or less. It has a daily gauge that shows how far your data has been used from 0 to 2020MBs. You can also use the iPhone's gauge, but it will not be entirely accurate if you reset it like your vehicle odometer's trip feature to measure how much mileage in a week you spend.

If you pass your limit, it'll cost $10 each 1GB. In laptop comparison, it's $55 for 5GB which is a $5 difference towards a $60 laptop card service.

Message 25 of 34

You can also use a real time data usage monitor like the DataMan iPhone app. This apps tracks your data activities. It allows you to define your own usage thresholds. There are 4 levels. When you exceed your threshold, the app alerts you in real time. You can find the app in App Store.

Message 26 of 34
Mentor

2GB is fine for 90% of users. I am a heavy user and I've never gone over 1gb in a month.

Message 27 of 34
Contributor

Yikes!!!! I just checked my data!

iphone 3gs

Feb - 1.7 GB

Mar - 2 GB

Apr - 2.2 GB

May - 1 GB

June - .8 GB

iphone 4

July - 2.4 GB

August - 3.1 GB

Sept - 4.7 GB

Man!!! Thats crazy! Thank you Jesus... I have unlimited Data, but seriously I don't use it that much!  >Smiley Surprised

If I only had 2 GB I would have to seriously reconsider... In July that would have been an extra 10, in August an extra $20, in September an extra $30!!!!

Message 28 of 34
ACE - Professor

Let me guess... you either use a streaming navigation app, and/or stream video daily?

Edit: or never use wifi? Because I probably run 2-3x that data through my iP4, but my monthly usage is not even over 200MB except for 1 month out of 4 - I'm on the 2GB plan, but like most office drones I'm in a wifi cloud 99% of the time.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 29 of 34
Teacher

tferrara5 wrote:

No, absolutely not, for a few reasons:

1. People shouldn't have to worry about how much data they're using these days; you should be able to watch movies, etc. worry free. So aside from possibly exceeding or not exceeding it month after month, it's more of a 'peace of mind'.
  2. Think that 2GB is too much? Think again. Today, maybe you aint hitting it. But I can assure you that if Technology continues in the direction it's headed at the rate it's expanding towards online content, I'll bet you that in 5 years you'll need more than 2 GB monthly, without even covering your basics.
Remember; technology is evolving & AT&T knows that this overage will really kick in as time moves on.

Message 30 of 34
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support