Is new 2GB data cap enough for iphone 4?

Tutor

Is new 2GB data cap enough for iphone 4?

First time i have owned a smartphone, wondering if the new 2GB data cap is enough for iphone 4. I imagine i will use it a lot, do have wifi at home though.

Message 1 of 34 (19,651 Views)

Re: Is new 2GB data cap enough for iphone 4?

[ Edited ]

My guess is you'll be fine. I thought I'd be using a heavy amount of data, but I've used 300mb last month, and it was with a decent amount of internet browsing (mainly to open links other people sent me). And with Fring / Meebo running all of the time.

The only real data consuming application is Youtube, but I never use it anyways because I fear it'd kill my battery.

I do switch between Wifi at home and 3G though.

Message 2 of 34 (19,548 Views)
Mentor

I signed up for the small data package... I will be connected to WiFi pretty much anywhere I go unless I'm on the road... so im not worried at all about using too much data.

Message 3 of 34 (19,543 Views)
Mentor

yea i think 2gb should be enough for me..i play online games like World war all the time when I am on the go and i browse the net a bunch.. but dont forget to turn off push on ALL apps and do not check that apple box asking to send them data

Message 4 of 34 (19,535 Views)
Mentor

download the "at&t my wireless" app that allows you to check how much data you've used so far in the month (minutes and texts too). the irony is that the app uses data while you're trying to figure out if you've used too much data.

Message 5 of 34 (19,512 Views)
Mentor

msz812 wrote:

download the "at&t my wireless" app that allows you to check how much data you've used so far in the month (minutes and texts too). the irony is that the app uses data while you're trying to figure out if you've used too much data.

the iphone does that itself...does the data statistics reset each month on the iphone 4?

Message 6 of 34 (19,501 Views)
Professor

bamthechamp wrote:

msz812 wrote:

the iphone does that itself...does the data statistics reset each month on the iphone 4?

As far as I know, you have to manually reset the data statistics on the iPhone 4 at the beginning of your billing cycle.

Message 7 of 34 (19,496 Views)
Scholar

bamthechamp wrote:

msz812 wrote:

what do u mean it does it itself?

Message 8 of 34 (19,495 Views)
Mentor

Lambo23 wrote:

bamthechamp wrote:

msz812 wrote:

what do u mean it does it itself?

ive always thought that the data statistcs on the iphone reseted by itself when the bill cycle..when does the bill cycle lol..as you can tell i am not the owner of the account

Message 9 of 34 (19,475 Views)
ACE - Professor

it should be fine if you leave wifi on and don't go crazy. 2GB is a lot, after all, unless you watch a lot of streaming video.

I'd do all my heavy lifting (as it were) at home, and keep that 3g data for when you are really mobile, and need it.

Keep any eye on your usage for a few days after you get it, to see how it looks. I'm not even over 50MB (out of 2048MB for the 2GB plan) and I've got 7 days left to go in this cycle.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 34 (19,451 Views)
Mentor

johninsj wrote:

it should be fine if you leave wifi on and don't go crazy. 2GB is a lot, after all, unless you watch a lot of streaming video.

I'd do all my heavy lifting (as it were) at home, and keep that 3g data for when you are really mobile, and need it.

Keep any eye on your usage for a few days after you get it, to see how it looks. I'm not even over 50MB (out of 2048MB for the 2GB plan) and I've got 7 days left to go in this cycle.

yea i am going to keep a eye out during the first two months.. because i will be at school on the net or on facebook during pre-games meals..(i play football)

Message 11 of 34 (16,144 Views)
ACE - Master

My July bill just came the other day.  It only had 1 week of my iPhone 4, and the rest was my iPhone 3G.  I totalled 260MB cellular data usage or the full month.  Checking with the My Wireless app,  I am 13 days into my 31 day billing cycle and I ave used 58MB data.

I leave my wifi radio on al the time and use wifi when available (which is at work & at home, plus other places as well).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 34 (16,136 Views)
Mentor

yea..would 2Gb a month be hard to use..if you didnt stream music or watch youtube

Message 13 of 34 (16,123 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for the input, seems as if 2GB will be more than enough for my needs

Message 14 of 34 (16,112 Views)

how much data do you think push notifications use?

Message 15 of 34 (16,093 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.