Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 1, 2010
2:38:17 PM
Is new 2GB data cap enough for iphone 4?

First time i have owned a smartphone, wondering if the new 2GB data cap is enough for iphone 4. I imagine i will use it a lot, do have wifi at home though.

First time i have owned a smartphone, wondering if the new 2GB data cap is enough for iphone 4. I imagine i will use it a lot, do have wifi at home though.

Is new 2GB data cap enough for iphone 4?

33 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(33)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 5:52:21 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by AlexMcFarlane on Aug 1, 2010 at 5:52:54 PM

My guess is you'll be fine. I thought I'd be using a heavy amount of data, but I've used 300mb last month, and it was with a decent amount of internet browsing (mainly to open links other people sent me). And with Fring / Meebo running all of the time.

The only real data consuming application is Youtube, but I never use it anyways because I fear it'd kill my battery.

I do switch between Wifi at home and 3G though.

My guess is you'll be fine. I thought I'd be using a heavy amount of data, but I've used 300mb last month, and it was with a decent amount of internet browsing (mainly to open links other people sent me). And with Fring / Meebo running all of the time.

The only real data consuming application is Youtube, but I never use it anyways because I fear it'd kill my battery.

I do switch between Wifi at home and 3G though.

Re: Is new 2GB data cap enough for iphone 4?

[ Edited ]
2 of 34 (19,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 5:54:03 PM
(0)
Mentor

I signed up for the small data package... I will be connected to WiFi pretty much anywhere I go unless I'm on the road... so im not worried at all about using too much data.

I signed up for the small data package... I will be connected to WiFi pretty much anywhere I go unless I'm on the road... so im not worried at all about using too much data.

3 of 34 (19,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 5:58:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

yea i think 2gb should be enough for me..i play online games like World war all the time when I am on the go and i browse the net a bunch.. but dont forget to turn off push on ALL apps and do not check that apple box asking to send them data

yea i think 2gb should be enough for me..i play online games like World war all the time when I am on the go and i browse the net a bunch.. but dont forget to turn off push on ALL apps and do not check that apple box asking to send them data

4 of 34 (19,500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 6:21:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

download the "at&t my wireless" app that allows you to check how much data you've used so far in the month (minutes and texts too). the irony is that the app uses data while you're trying to figure out if you've used too much data.

download the "at&t my wireless" app that allows you to check how much data you've used so far in the month (minutes and texts too). the irony is that the app uses data while you're trying to figure out if you've used too much data.

5 of 34 (19,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 6:25:06 PM
(0)
Mentor

msz812 wrote:

the iphone does that itself...does the data statistics reset each month on the iphone 4?

msz812 wrote:

the iphone does that itself...does the data statistics reset each month on the iphone 4?

6 of 34 (19,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 6:26:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

bamthechamp wrote:

msz812 wrote:

As far as I know, you have to manually reset the data statistics on the iPhone 4 at the beginning of your billing cycle.

bamthechamp wrote:

msz812 wrote:

As far as I know, you have to manually reset the data statistics on the iPhone 4 at the beginning of your billing cycle.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 34 (19,461 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 6:27:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

bamthechamp wrote:

msz812 wrote:

what do u mean it does it itself?

bamthechamp wrote:

msz812 wrote:

8 of 34 (19,460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 6:33:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

Lambo23 wrote:

bamthechamp wrote:

msz812 wrote:

ive always thought that the data statistcs on the iphone reseted by itself when the bill cycle..when does the bill cycle lol..as you can tell i am not the owner of the account

Lambo23 wrote:

bamthechamp wrote:

msz812 wrote:

ive always thought that the data statistcs on the iphone reseted by itself when the bill cycle..when does the bill cycle lol..as you can tell i am not the owner of the account

9 of 34 (19,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 6:49:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

it should be fine if you leave wifi on and don't go crazy. 2GB is a lot, after all, unless you watch a lot of streaming video.

I'd do all my heavy lifting (as it were) at home, and keep that 3g data for when you are really mobile, and need it.

Keep any eye on your usage for a few days after you get it, to see how it looks. I'm not even over 50MB (out of 2048MB for the 2GB plan) and I've got 7 days left to go in this cycle.

it should be fine if you leave wifi on and don't go crazy. 2GB is a lot, after all, unless you watch a lot of streaming video.

I'd do all my heavy lifting (as it were) at home, and keep that 3g data for when you are really mobile, and need it.

Keep any eye on your usage for a few days after you get it, to see how it looks. I'm not even over 50MB (out of 2048MB for the 2GB plan) and I've got 7 days left to go in this cycle.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 34 (19,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 7:10:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

johninsj wrote:

yea i am going to keep a eye out during the first two months.. because i will be at school on the net or on facebook during pre-games meals..(i play football)

johninsj wrote:

yea i am going to keep a eye out during the first two months.. because i will be at school on the net or on facebook during pre-games meals..(i play football)

11 of 34 (16,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 7:27:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

My July bill just came the other day.  It only had 1 week of my iPhone 4, and the rest was my iPhone 3G.  I totalled 260MB cellular data usage or the full month.  Checking with the My Wireless app,  I am 13 days into my 31 day billing cycle and I ave used 58MB data.

I leave my wifi radio on al the time and use wifi when available (which is at work & at home, plus other places as well).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

My July bill just came the other day.  It only had 1 week of my iPhone 4, and the rest was my iPhone 3G.  I totalled 260MB cellular data usage or the full month.  Checking with the My Wireless app,  I am 13 days into my 31 day billing cycle and I ave used 58MB data.

I leave my wifi radio on al the time and use wifi when available (which is at work & at home, plus other places as well).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

12 of 34 (16,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 7:50:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

yea..would 2Gb a month be hard to use..if you didnt stream music or watch youtube

yea..would 2Gb a month be hard to use..if you didnt stream music or watch youtube

13 of 34 (16,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 8:14:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the input, seems as if 2GB will be more than enough for my needs

Thanks for the input, seems as if 2GB will be more than enough for my needs

14 of 34 (16,077 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 9:24:46 PM
(0)
Mentor

how much data do you think push notifications use?

15 of 34 (16,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 9:28:01 PM
(0)
Mentor

arthurbswartz wrote:

it really depends what app it is..no tell.. but when iam gonna turn all my notications off but facebook and WW..alot of push nots =alot of data during the day..

arthurbswartz wrote:

it really depends what app it is..no tell.. but when iam gonna turn all my notications off but facebook and WW..alot of push nots =alot of data during the day..

16 of 34 (16,056 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 9:31:04 PM
(0)
Mentor

yea that does make sense, thanks for that

yea that does make sense, thanks for that

17 of 34 (16,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 9:35:30 PM
(0)
Mentor

yea man no problem

yea man no problem

18 of 34 (16,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 10:29:10 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by benjitek on Aug 1, 2010 at 10:30:16 PM

tferrara5 wrote:

It depends on how you use it.  Regardless, you will have to think about it and monitor it for a while.

I set my iPhone in a Universal Dock that's plugged into a stereo receiver -- internet radio sounds great over the home stereo.  Between that and working out, I stream at least a couple hours a day.  Combined with Exchange ActiveSync and moderate browsing, a few cloud services that sync, and I'm regularly between 3-4 gb per month -- fortunately, I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan so I don't have to worry about it.

Personally, I think they should've gone with 5gb instead of 2 for the metered plan.  No matter how little data you use today, more and more services are coming out that with regular use, will put you over that 2gb limit Smiley Sad

tferrara5 wrote:

It depends on how you use it.  Regardless, you will have to think about it and monitor it for a while.

I set my iPhone in a Universal Dock that's plugged into a stereo receiver -- internet radio sounds great over the home stereo.  Between that and working out, I stream at least a couple hours a day.  Combined with Exchange ActiveSync and moderate browsing, a few cloud services that sync, and I'm regularly between 3-4 gb per month -- fortunately, I'm grandfathered into the unlimited plan so I don't have to worry about it.

Personally, I think they should've gone with 5gb instead of 2 for the metered plan.  No matter how little data you use today, more and more services are coming out that with regular use, will put you over that 2gb limit Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]
19 of 34 (16,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 10:31:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

i am a heavy internet user on my iphone and i looked at my last months usage and it was only around 1.2 gigs and ive been on it alot more since i was away without my computer

i am a heavy internet user on my iphone and i looked at my last months usage and it was only around 1.2 gigs and ive been on it alot more since i was away without my computer

20 of 34 (16,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2010 6:54:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

Use WiFi when you can and you will be ok.

Use WiFi when you can and you will be ok.

21 of 34 (16,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 5:43:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

2 GB may be enough for some but as a person who commute to NYC everyday and use iphone for news and audio/video streaming it is not sufficient even when I strictly use 3G while on road and use wi-Fi home and office. I have to be very restrictive in usage. All other carriers are offering lower combined price for voice/data/text and AT&T doing it other way.

2 GB may be enough for some but as a person who commute to NYC everyday and use iphone for news and audio/video streaming it is not sufficient even when I strictly use 3G while on road and use wi-Fi home and office. I have to be very restrictive in usage. All other carriers are offering lower combined price for voice/data/text and AT&T doing it other way.

22 of 34 (15,914 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 5:53:19 AM
(0)
Professor

Ksanil23 wrote:

I wonder if the majority of the audio/video you stream could be downloaded via iTunes on your computer and then synced to your device.  It would certainly download faster and eliminate any stuttering in the media while watching it.  Doing it that way would also reduce the strain on the network.

Ksanil23 wrote:

I wonder if the majority of the audio/video you stream could be downloaded via iTunes on your computer and then synced to your device.  It would certainly download faster and eliminate any stuttering in the media while watching it.  Doing it that way would also reduce the strain on the network.

23 of 34 (15,911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 8:10:47 AM
(0)
Scholar

I am averaging around 800 megs for the month each month. But I also listen to Pandora a bunch. Besides that I don't use much internet. Just mostly pandora.

I am averaging around 800 megs for the month each month. But I also listen to Pandora a bunch. Besides that I don't use much internet. Just mostly pandora.

24 of 34 (15,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 9:25:43 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Sep 8, 2010 at 9:29:33 AM

Data usage varies person to person. Most get away with 2GB of data usage. You do have to curtail any habits grown if you were an unlimited and dropped it for the $5 savings. AT&T messages you via SMS if setup on your account information on a daily notice. I generally spend 50-75MB a day which is between 26 days and 40 days.

You can use your AT&T Wireless app that uses very little in KBs to fetch the information. If I was to place a hazard guess it's 30KBs or less. It has a daily gauge that shows how far your data has been used from 0 to 2020MBs. You can also use the iPhone's gauge, but it will not be entirely accurate if you reset it like your vehicle odometer's trip feature to measure how much mileage in a week you spend.

If you pass your limit, it'll cost $10 each 1GB. In laptop comparison, it's $55 for 5GB which is a $5 difference towards a $60 laptop card service.

Data usage varies person to person. Most get away with 2GB of data usage. You do have to curtail any habits grown if you were an unlimited and dropped it for the $5 savings. AT&T messages you via SMS if setup on your account information on a daily notice. I generally spend 50-75MB a day which is between 26 days and 40 days.

You can use your AT&T Wireless app that uses very little in KBs to fetch the information. If I was to place a hazard guess it's 30KBs or less. It has a daily gauge that shows how far your data has been used from 0 to 2020MBs. You can also use the iPhone's gauge, but it will not be entirely accurate if you reset it like your vehicle odometer's trip feature to measure how much mileage in a week you spend.

If you pass your limit, it'll cost $10 each 1GB. In laptop comparison, it's $55 for 5GB which is a $5 difference towards a $60 laptop card service.

[ Edited ]
25 of 34 (15,878 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 9:28:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

You can also use a real time data usage monitor like the DataMan iPhone app. This apps tracks your data activities. It allows you to define your own usage thresholds. There are 4 levels. When you exceed your threshold, the app alerts you in real time. You can find the app in App Store.

You can also use a real time data usage monitor like the DataMan iPhone app. This apps tracks your data activities. It allows you to define your own usage thresholds. There are 4 levels. When you exceed your threshold, the app alerts you in real time. You can find the app in App Store.

26 of 34 (15,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 8:35:02 AM
(0)
Mentor

2GB is fine for 90% of users. I am a heavy user and I've never gone over 1gb in a month.

2GB is fine for 90% of users. I am a heavy user and I've never gone over 1gb in a month.

27 of 34 (15,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 9:23:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yikes!!!! I just checked my data!

iphone 3gs

Feb - 1.7 GB

Mar - 2 GB

Apr - 2.2 GB

May - 1 GB

June - .8 GB

iphone 4

July - 2.4 GB

August - 3.1 GB

Sept - 4.7 GB

Man!!! Thats crazy! Thank you Jesus... I have unlimited Data, but seriously I don't use it that much!  >Smiley Surprised

If I only had 2 GB I would have to seriously reconsider... In July that would have been an extra 10, in August an extra $20, in September an extra $30!!!!

Yikes!!!! I just checked my data!

iphone 3gs

Feb - 1.7 GB

Mar - 2 GB

Apr - 2.2 GB

May - 1 GB

June - .8 GB

iphone 4

July - 2.4 GB

August - 3.1 GB

Sept - 4.7 GB

Man!!! Thats crazy! Thank you Jesus... I have unlimited Data, but seriously I don't use it that much!  >Smiley Surprised

If I only had 2 GB I would have to seriously reconsider... In July that would have been an extra 10, in August an extra $20, in September an extra $30!!!!

28 of 34 (15,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 10:37:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by johninsj on Oct 4, 2010 at 10:39:08 AM

Let me guess... you either use a streaming navigation app, and/or stream video daily?

Edit: or never use wifi? Because I probably run 2-3x that data through my iP4, but my monthly usage is not even over 200MB except for 1 month out of 4 - I'm on the 2GB plan, but like most office drones I'm in a wifi cloud 99% of the time.

Let me guess... you either use a streaming navigation app, and/or stream video daily?

Edit: or never use wifi? Because I probably run 2-3x that data through my iP4, but my monthly usage is not even over 200MB except for 1 month out of 4 - I'm on the 2GB plan, but like most office drones I'm in a wifi cloud 99% of the time.

[ Edited ]
29 of 34 (15,404 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 8:06:13 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by FireFish on Oct 4, 2010 at 8:09:06 PM

tferrara5 wrote:

No, absolutely not, for a few reasons:

1. People shouldn't have to worry about how much data they're using these days; you should be able to watch movies, etc. worry free. So aside from possibly exceeding or not exceeding it month after month, it's more of a 'peace of mind'.
  2. Think that 2GB is too much? Think again. Today, maybe you aint hitting it. But I can assure you that if Technology continues in the direction it's headed at the rate it's expanding towards online content, I'll bet you that in 5 years you'll need more than 2 GB monthly, without even covering your basics.
Remember; technology is evolving & AT&T knows that this overage will really kick in as time moves on.

tferrara5 wrote:

No, absolutely not, for a few reasons:

1. People shouldn't have to worry about how much data they're using these days; you should be able to watch movies, etc. worry free. So aside from possibly exceeding or not exceeding it month after month, it's more of a 'peace of mind'.
  2. Think that 2GB is too much? Think again. Today, maybe you aint hitting it. But I can assure you that if Technology continues in the direction it's headed at the rate it's expanding towards online content, I'll bet you that in 5 years you'll need more than 2 GB monthly, without even covering your basics.
Remember; technology is evolving & AT&T knows that this overage will really kick in as time moves on.

[ Edited ]
30 of 34 (15,348 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments