Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 29, 2011
10:16:37 PM
View profile
Is my unlimited mms taking a hit on my data plan???

Ok, I have called customer support about this issue several times and keep getting mixed messages. I currently pay $30 a month for unlimited txt messaging as well as unlimited MMS. About 3 days ago I got an HTC Inspire and added a $15 200mb per month plan. Because I am trying my best to keep track of data usage to be completely certain that I do not go over, I added a data tracking app to my phone and have been checking the ATT website like a hawk.

The problem that I am having is when my sister sent me an MMS from her phone it made not only the data tracker app on my phone jump up, but the tracker on the website jumped up as well. The att support rep told me "Do not worry it is not hitting your data usage it will be covered under your unlimited plan" Another rep told me "Well I do see here that it used data, she must have sent it via e-mail (which is a load of bull because she has a pay-per-use plan and would not opt to log into her email just to send me an mms which would cost her money when she could send it normally and have it covered under the unlimited plan.

Long story short, is the mms hitting my data plan?? And if not, why is it showing on the ATT website that my data usage went up after the MMS was sent? And lastly, if it really is not hitting my $15 per month plan, how can I track what my ACTUAL data usage is minus the MMS?

Does that make sense? Please help. I'm surprised that the people who dish out the prices of these plans no nothing about how they work and can't help me track it in any way whatsoever.

Ok, I have called customer support about this issue several times and keep getting mixed messages. I currently pay $30 a month for unlimited txt messaging as well as unlimited MMS. About 3 days ago I got an HTC Inspire and added a $15 200mb per month plan. Because I am trying my best to keep track of data usage to be completely certain that I do not go over, I added a data tracking app to my phone and have been checking the ATT website like a hawk.

The problem that I am having is when my sister sent me an MMS from her phone it made not only the data tracker app on my phone jump up, but the tracker on the website jumped up as well. The att support rep told me "Do not worry it is not hitting your data usage it will be covered under your unlimited plan" Another rep told me "Well I do see here that it used data, she must have sent it via e-mail (which is a load of bull because she has a pay-per-use plan and would not opt to log into her email just to send me an mms which would cost her money when she could send it normally and have it covered under the unlimited plan.

Long story short, is the mms hitting my data plan?? And if not, why is it showing on the ATT website that my data usage went up after the MMS was sent? And lastly, if it really is not hitting my $15 per month plan, how can I track what my ACTUAL data usage is minus the MMS?

Does that make sense? Please help. I'm surprised that the people who dish out the prices of these plans no nothing about how they work and can't help me track it in any way whatsoever.

Is my unlimited mms taking a hit on my data plan???

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2011 5:53:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi,

If you have not already had your question answered. The way the data plan with the new phone is the if mms contain any attachment such as picture, video and music it will go against your data plan. For example, if John sends me a text message and it contains a video of 2 MB. The text message will count as 1 mms becuase it contains an attachment. Also the video will go against your data plan adding 2 MB. I know that At&t does this do not know if Verizon, T-mobile or Sprint does it.

Hi,

If you have not already had your question answered. The way the data plan with the new phone is the if mms contain any attachment such as picture, video and music it will go against your data plan. For example, if John sends me a text message and it contains a video of 2 MB. The text message will count as 1 mms becuase it contains an attachment. Also the video will go against your data plan adding 2 MB. I know that At&t does this do not know if Verizon, T-mobile or Sprint does it.

Re: Is my unlimited mms taking a hit on my data plan???

2 of 7 (3,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2011 12:28:53 AM
(0)
Teacher

Another thing is to check your useage right from your phone.

For your minutes used press *626# and press either your Send or Call button. You'll get an SMS message from AT&T with your minutes used in the billing period. (First you'll get an SMS saying they got your request, then you get the SMS with minutes used). The 626 represents "Min" as in Minutes.

For data consumed, including messages and data used out of your plan, press *3282# and then press either your Send or Call button. Same responses will happen as above. The 3282 represents "Data".

Hope that helps,

trqk

Another thing is to check your useage right from your phone.

For your minutes used press *626# and press either your Send or Call button. You'll get an SMS message from AT&T with your minutes used in the billing period. (First you'll get an SMS saying they got your request, then you get the SMS with minutes used). The 626 represents "Min" as in Minutes.

For data consumed, including messages and data used out of your plan, press *3282# and then press either your Send or Call button. Same responses will happen as above. The 3282 represents "Data".

Hope that helps,

trqk

3 of 7 (3,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2011 3:36:18 AM
(0)
Employee
if you have unlimited MLS you are not charged for data usage, its included inherent messaging feature
if you have unlimited MLS you are not charged for data usage, its included inherent messaging feature
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 7 (3,385 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2011 7:46:02 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Dec 24, 2011 at 8:17:01 PM

I see ATT still hasn't responded. I pay for the 200mb plan and unlimited messaging. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE ASKING. Why does it go against my data plan? If I didn't have a data plan it wouldn't go against "data". This is a rip off. Shouldn't this be considered double charging? I have about had it with the way ATT thinks we are stupid. Just today I got near my total usage and had to freaking upgrade my data so that if I want to send a picture during the holidays to a relative - I could without going over on my data. This is a load of crap!!! Why pay for unlimited messaging when they are gonna screw you on your data. It's just a way to rip off the customer.

ATT - RESPOND! Where are you now? Guess I will have to call and complain and get a measly $20 credit on my bill because you think it will make me feel better. I have about had it with ATT! Oh and by the way - I have been a customer since you were BELLSOUTH!!!

[Per GuidelinesKeep it Relevant and Appropriate]

I see ATT still hasn't responded. I pay for the 200mb plan and unlimited messaging. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE ASKING. Why does it go against my data plan? If I didn't have a data plan it wouldn't go against "data". This is a rip off. Shouldn't this be considered double charging? I have about had it with the way ATT thinks we are stupid. Just today I got near my total usage and had to freaking upgrade my data so that if I want to send a picture during the holidays to a relative - I could without going over on my data. This is a load of crap!!! Why pay for unlimited messaging when they are gonna screw you on your data. It's just a way to rip off the customer.

ATT - RESPOND! Where are you now? Guess I will have to call and complain and get a measly $20 credit on my bill because you think it will make me feel better. I have about had it with ATT! Oh and by the way - I have been a customer since you were BELLSOUTH!!!

[Per GuidelinesKeep it Relevant and Appropriate]

[ Edited ]
5 of 7 (2,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2012 2:02:04 AM
(0)
Employee
MMS doesn't against data usage and that's an official answer.
MMS doesn't against data usage and that's an official answer.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

6 of 7 (2,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 8, 2012 9:12:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

Actually, I forgot that I had asked this question a while back until I decided that for peace of mind I would just upgrade to the unlimited plan and pay the extra charge so that I don't have to worry about going over data. Except now, that's not even an option so I would be paying more for extra data but still have to keep track of usage and not feel comfortable.

WHICH LEADS ME BACK TO MY ORIGINAL POST:

You can tell me that "mms does not incur data charges" until you are blue in the face However, no one here or on the phone with ATT support  has offered me a way to accurately track my actual data usage minus the MMS usage. I send and receive a lot of mms and every form of data tracking including the att website shows every mms sent as being calculated towards my data usage. I GET IT THAT IT DOES NOT INCUR CHARGES, however, how am I supposed to know the difference between "you have used 1.5gb of data" that is pure data usage and "you have used 1.5gb of data" when some (if not most of that data) is mms that is "supposedly" not going to "incur data charges' .. so what I am asking is, HOW DO I TRACK MY DATA USAGE ACCURATELY? Since you cannot offer me an unlimited plan that will allow me the peace of mind of not going over, then you as a company need to offer me a better solution to tracking my data so that I do not go over my usage. If this is too much of a request then you are in no position to take away unlimited data usage for your customers.

I have to resort to caps and bold font to get this point across? I thought I made it very clear but I feel as though I am talking and no one is listening.

Actually, I forgot that I had asked this question a while back until I decided that for peace of mind I would just upgrade to the unlimited plan and pay the extra charge so that I don't have to worry about going over data. Except now, that's not even an option so I would be paying more for extra data but still have to keep track of usage and not feel comfortable.

WHICH LEADS ME BACK TO MY ORIGINAL POST:

You can tell me that "mms does not incur data charges" until you are blue in the face However, no one here or on the phone with ATT support  has offered me a way to accurately track my actual data usage minus the MMS usage. I send and receive a lot of mms and every form of data tracking including the att website shows every mms sent as being calculated towards my data usage. I GET IT THAT IT DOES NOT INCUR CHARGES, however, how am I supposed to know the difference between "you have used 1.5gb of data" that is pure data usage and "you have used 1.5gb of data" when some (if not most of that data) is mms that is "supposedly" not going to "incur data charges' .. so what I am asking is, HOW DO I TRACK MY DATA USAGE ACCURATELY? Since you cannot offer me an unlimited plan that will allow me the peace of mind of not going over, then you as a company need to offer me a better solution to tracking my data so that I do not go over my usage. If this is too much of a request then you are in no position to take away unlimited data usage for your customers.

I have to resort to caps and bold font to get this point across? I thought I made it very clear but I feel as though I am talking and no one is listening.

7 of 7 (2,825 Views)