Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 7, 2011
9:04:31 AM
Is it possible to use Samsung Infuse with my Prepaid plan?
Edited by samcarra on Nov 7, 2011 at 9:05:29 AM

Has anyone here tried using the Samsung Infuse with their Gophone Prepaid sim card? I've read that quite a few people use the Samsung Captivate but I'd love to get an Infuse and use it with my prepaid plan and add a data plan as well.

Hope someone knows!

Thanks.

Has anyone here tried using the Samsung Infuse with their Gophone Prepaid sim card? I've read that quite a few people use the Samsung Captivate but I'd love to get an Infuse and use it with my prepaid plan and add a data plan as well.

Hope someone knows!

Thanks.

Is it possible to use Samsung Infuse with my Prepaid plan?

[ Edited ]
21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 3:18:26 PM
(0)
Professor

Yes it will work as a GoPhone.

Yes it will work as a GoPhone.

Re: Is it possible to use Samsung Infuse with my Prepaid plan?

2 of 22 (9,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 3:33:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

Do you know if you would be able to use one of the prepaid data plans with it?

Thanks for answering my question!

Do you know if you would be able to use one of the prepaid data plans with it?

Thanks for answering my question!

3 of 22 (9,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 4:57:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Prepaid data packages for the Infuse may or may not work. Because the Infuse is classified as a "4G" phone, prepaid data somehow does not seem to connect with the network. So you can try purchasing a data package and see if you are able to use data on it, but there may be a chance that it might not work.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Prepaid data packages for the Infuse may or may not work. Because the Infuse is classified as a "4G" phone, prepaid data somehow does not seem to connect with the network. So you can try purchasing a data package and see if you are able to use data on it, but there may be a chance that it might not work.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 22 (9,202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 6:48:58 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Nov 7, 2011 at 6:49:35 PM

WB is right. My prepaid smartphone uses only 3G. My phone has 2G and EDGE features but they somehow got turned off by AT&T.

I can bet that the Infuse is also 3G capable, 2G and EDGE capable too. That's how postpaid phones like the Infuse can roam on other carriers' network that may be 3G or EDGE only. If AT&T did not turn off the 3G feature of the Samsung Infuse, you may be able to use the Infuse on a prepaid plan. All it takes is for you to test it out. The other possibility is that the 3G setting could be in the GoPhone SIM card, so that it would be the SIM card that enables the prepaid plan to work.

WB is right. My prepaid smartphone uses only 3G. My phone has 2G and EDGE features but they somehow got turned off by AT&T.

I can bet that the Infuse is also 3G capable, 2G and EDGE capable too. That's how postpaid phones like the Infuse can roam on other carriers' network that may be 3G or EDGE only. If AT&T did not turn off the 3G feature of the Samsung Infuse, you may be able to use the Infuse on a prepaid plan. All it takes is for you to test it out. The other possibility is that the 3G setting could be in the GoPhone SIM card, so that it would be the SIM card that enables the prepaid plan to work.

[ Edited ]
5 of 22 (9,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 8:41:02 PM
(0)
Guru

I once asked a CSR if the Motorola Atrix 4G would work with a Go Phone account and I was told no that it being a 4G device would be incompatible with a prepaid account. I was told this by at least two different CSR's.  

I once asked a CSR if the Motorola Atrix 4G would work with a Go Phone account and I was told no that it being a 4G device would be incompatible with a prepaid account. I was told this by at least two different CSR's.  

6 of 22 (9,184 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 8:49:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

ilikewireless wrote:

2G/EDGE works just fine on all three LG Thrives I have albeit downstream and upstream are atrocious. Perhaps you just have good 3G signal where you're located so you never drop down to 2G/EDGE.

ilikewireless wrote:

As far as I'm aware, the "4G" Infuse still uses 3G technology. A pumped up version of 3G but still 3G nonetheless. I don't think there'll be any problems with using the Infuse on GoPhone (of course I could be wrong). If someone has an iPhone 4S on GoPhone with data packages working, that should be confirmation enough.

ilikewireless wrote:

2G/EDGE works just fine on all three LG Thrives I have albeit downstream and upstream are atrocious. Perhaps you just have good 3G signal where you're located so you never drop down to 2G/EDGE.

ilikewireless wrote:

As far as I'm aware, the "4G" Infuse still uses 3G technology. A pumped up version of 3G but still 3G nonetheless. I don't think there'll be any problems with using the Infuse on GoPhone (of course I could be wrong). If someone has an iPhone 4S on GoPhone with data packages working, that should be confirmation enough.

7 of 22 (9,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 9:13:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you everyone for your answers!  I wish I knew someone with an Infuse so I could stick my Sim card in it to see if it worked. It would be kind of a nuisance to buy one and then not have the prepaid data plan work. They sell for so much cheaper on eBay than with no contract from Amazon but most eBay sellers don't take returns if it doesn't work out.

It would just be so nice to have that nice big screen and still be able to use my prepaid plan - I don't really use my phone all that much and having the prepaid plan saves so much money.

Perhaps there is someone out there who is actually using an Infuse with a Go Phone prepaid Sim card??????

Thank you everyone for your answers!  I wish I knew someone with an Infuse so I could stick my Sim card in it to see if it worked. It would be kind of a nuisance to buy one and then not have the prepaid data plan work. They sell for so much cheaper on eBay than with no contract from Amazon but most eBay sellers don't take returns if it doesn't work out.

It would just be so nice to have that nice big screen and still be able to use my prepaid plan - I don't really use my phone all that much and having the prepaid plan saves so much money.

Perhaps there is someone out there who is actually using an Infuse with a Go Phone prepaid Sim card??????

8 of 22 (9,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2011 9:25:25 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Nov 7, 2011 at 9:44:34 PM

hnzw_rui wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

You are probably right. I have an LG 2G/EDGE phone and I have noticed that the signals are no better than the 3G signals on the LG Thrive. I have yet to go to a place with poor 3G signals so that the Thrive will drop down to 2G/EDGE.

I'm of the opinion that 4G mobile devices can down shift to 3G, EDGE and 2G. It would be silly to think that 4G devices can only run on 4G. Because 4G is available only in a small number of markets, AT&T would therefore want customers to downshift to 3G where only 3G is available.

+1 on the iPhone 4S as confirmation of a 4G device used as a GoPhone.

hnzw_rui wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

You are probably right. I have an LG 2G/EDGE phone and I have noticed that the signals are no better than the 3G signals on the LG Thrive. I have yet to go to a place with poor 3G signals so that the Thrive will drop down to 2G/EDGE.

I'm of the opinion that 4G mobile devices can down shift to 3G, EDGE and 2G. It would be silly to think that 4G devices can only run on 4G. Because 4G is available only in a small number of markets, AT&T would therefore want customers to downshift to 3G where only 3G is available.

+1 on the iPhone 4S as confirmation of a 4G device used as a GoPhone.

[ Edited ]
9 of 22 (9,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2011 2:52:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
The iPhone 4S and other "4G" HSPA+ capable phones such as the Infuse are in a unique situation. The iPhone 4S can pick up "4G" signals according to AT&T, and it's the only version on all three carriers that can get anything slightly above a 3G signal. Although, it's not likely connected to "4G" (with the Infuse, too) all the time, depending on if it would be available in different areas. So maybe "4G" capable isn't all what it's cracked up to be.

samcarra, if you don't mind if the data portion of the phone will not work unless you change some settings in the phone to allow it, you can still use the Infuse for calling, text messaging, Wi-Fi usage, and anything else in between. You can purchase a Captivate instead, if you want, to allow prepaid data. I love using mine. Smiley Happy

The iPhone 4S and other "4G" HSPA+ capable phones such as the Infuse are in a unique situation. The iPhone 4S can pick up "4G" signals according to AT&T, and it's the only version on all three carriers that can get anything slightly above a 3G signal. Although, it's not likely connected to "4G" (with the Infuse, too) all the time, depending on if it would be available in different areas. So maybe "4G" capable isn't all what it's cracked up to be.

samcarra, if you don't mind if the data portion of the phone will not work unless you change some settings in the phone to allow it, you can still use the Infuse for calling, text messaging, Wi-Fi usage, and anything else in between. You can purchase a Captivate instead, if you want, to allow prepaid data. I love using mine. Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 22 (9,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2011 3:05:27 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for your reply! I'm heading to the AT&T store in a nearby town in a few minutes and I"m going to ask them if I can try out my card in various phones. I feel like that's the only sure way to find out. I know the Captivate will work so I'm leaning towards getting one of them.

My husband needs to sign up for a new pre-paid plan so it is a good excuse to ask the guys there what android phones will work with a pre-paid sim card.

Do you have your Captivate updated to Version 2.2 Froyo or 2.3 Gingerbread? Do you use a data plan with it?

Thanks again!
Thanks for your reply! I'm heading to the AT&T store in a nearby town in a few minutes and I"m going to ask them if I can try out my card in various phones. I feel like that's the only sure way to find out. I know the Captivate will work so I'm leaning towards getting one of them.

My husband needs to sign up for a new pre-paid plan so it is a good excuse to ask the guys there what android phones will work with a pre-paid sim card.

Do you have your Captivate updated to Version 2.2 Froyo or 2.3 Gingerbread? Do you use a data plan with it?

Thanks again!

11 of 22 (8,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2011 3:13:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You're welcome - sounds good.

My Captivate was delivered to me (I bought it used) with 2.2 FroYo already installed on it. I have thought about updating it to Gingerbread but to be honest, I don't really know how. Smiley Tongue

I do not use a data package with either my Captivate or my iPhone...whenever I want to use data services, I always deactivate the data network and tap that Wi-Fi icon instead. Smiley Happy

You're welcome - sounds good.

My Captivate was delivered to me (I bought it used) with 2.2 FroYo already installed on it. I have thought about updating it to Gingerbread but to be honest, I don't really know how. Smiley Tongue

I do not use a data package with either my Captivate or my iPhone...whenever I want to use data services, I always deactivate the data network and tap that Wi-Fi icon instead. Smiley Happy

12 of 22 (8,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2011 3:23:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

I really would like to have some kind of data plan just because there are so few places with Wi-Fi around here (very rural) and I'd like to have a way to check e-mail and see what's new on Facebook without having to find somewhere with Wi-Fi that isn't locked.

As soon as my husband gets home we are going to dash up to the AT&T store that is about 20 miles away. It stays open till 7pm.

If I used a phone very much I'd go ahead and get one of the contract plans but it seems like such a waste when I don't use my cell phone that much. The Pre-paid plans save so much money when you don't use your phone a lot.

I really would like to have some kind of data plan just because there are so few places with Wi-Fi around here (very rural) and I'd like to have a way to check e-mail and see what's new on Facebook without having to find somewhere with Wi-Fi that isn't locked.

As soon as my husband gets home we are going to dash up to the AT&T store that is about 20 miles away. It stays open till 7pm.

If I used a phone very much I'd go ahead and get one of the contract plans but it seems like such a waste when I don't use my cell phone that much. The Pre-paid plans save so much money when you don't use your phone a lot.

13 of 22 (8,020 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2011 6:17:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I agree with the prepaid advantage over post paid. Let us know how your experience goes!

I agree with the prepaid advantage over post paid. Let us know how your experience goes!

14 of 22 (8,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2011 8:14:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

The people at the AT&T store were really helpful! They there were two women and one man working there. The younger woman was the one who helped me the most. She told me that they could make any of the Android phones work with a GoPhone plan. If the sim card you have now won't work with the data part of the plan they can give you a new sim card with your same phone number that will. She said that the Blackberries and iPhones don't work with the GoPhone plans but then the guy said he can even make the iPhones work with the GoPhone plans.

So, basically, I can get any AT&T Android phone I want and they will be able to make it work with my GoPhone plan! I was really pleased. They even recommened that I get one on eBay - said it was the best place to find a good deal on one that hadn't been used very much.

They didn't actually have a Samsung Infuse at the store because it is already being discontinued but they let me play around with all phones they had. The ones with the 4.5 inch screens are really nice - so easy to see and not really that much bigger than any of the others. I could even see them very well without my reading glasses - that is really a plus.

It was a very productive trip and the people who worked at the store were very helpful. I was very pleased that I can start my search for a nice Infuse on eBay. The young woman who worked there let me play with her HTC Inspire for a while and it was quite nice, too.

The people at the AT&T store were really helpful! They there were two women and one man working there. The younger woman was the one who helped me the most. She told me that they could make any of the Android phones work with a GoPhone plan. If the sim card you have now won't work with the data part of the plan they can give you a new sim card with your same phone number that will. She said that the Blackberries and iPhones don't work with the GoPhone plans but then the guy said he can even make the iPhones work with the GoPhone plans.

So, basically, I can get any AT&T Android phone I want and they will be able to make it work with my GoPhone plan! I was really pleased. They even recommened that I get one on eBay - said it was the best place to find a good deal on one that hadn't been used very much.

They didn't actually have a Samsung Infuse at the store because it is already being discontinued but they let me play around with all phones they had. The ones with the 4.5 inch screens are really nice - so easy to see and not really that much bigger than any of the others. I could even see them very well without my reading glasses - that is really a plus.

It was a very productive trip and the people who worked at the store were very helpful. I was very pleased that I can start my search for a nice Infuse on eBay. The young woman who worked there let me play with her HTC Inspire for a while and it was quite nice, too.

15 of 22 (8,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 3:27:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I was under the impression that you knew that any AT&T phone (including iPhone and BlackBerries) can be used on a GoPhone plan. Sorry if you did not know that or I failed to mention it earlier. Smiley Tongue

That's nice that the female employee let you see her own personal Inspire - a salesman in Target let me hold his iPhone 4 last year around Thanksgiving time and I thought that was really cool. To be honest, I was afraid that I might drop it. Smiley Tongue

I was under the impression that you knew that any AT&T phone (including iPhone and BlackBerries) can be used on a GoPhone plan. Sorry if you did not know that or I failed to mention it earlier. Smiley Tongue

That's nice that the female employee let you see her own personal Inspire - a salesman in Target let me hold his iPhone 4 last year around Thanksgiving time and I thought that was really cool. To be honest, I was afraid that I might drop it. Smiley Tongue

16 of 22 (7,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 11:56:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

All three people who worked at the AT&T store were really nice - I was really impressed by how friendly and helpful they were!Smiley Happy

I did know you could use any of the AT&T phone with your GoPhone account if you only wanted to use them for talk and texting but it was using data that I was unsure about. Now I know that if my current sim card doesn't work with whatever phone I decide to get with data that they will be able to program another sim to my account that will work.

It is so nice when you have friendly and helpful clerks in stores instead of the kind that are surly and act like even talking to you is causing them pain.

Still haven't decided for sure which phone I want to get. I've looked at so many phones on eBay today that I'm actually getting sick of phones! I did bid on a couple of Samsung Impuse auctions but was outbid both times. On one of them I waiting until the last 10 seconds to bid and was still outbid. It might take awhile to find one.

All three people who worked at the AT&T store were really nice - I was really impressed by how friendly and helpful they were!Smiley Happy

I did know you could use any of the AT&T phone with your GoPhone account if you only wanted to use them for talk and texting but it was using data that I was unsure about. Now I know that if my current sim card doesn't work with whatever phone I decide to get with data that they will be able to program another sim to my account that will work.

It is so nice when you have friendly and helpful clerks in stores instead of the kind that are surly and act like even talking to you is causing them pain.

Still haven't decided for sure which phone I want to get. I've looked at so many phones on eBay today that I'm actually getting sick of phones! I did bid on a couple of Samsung Impuse auctions but was outbid both times. On one of them I waiting until the last 10 seconds to bid and was still outbid. It might take awhile to find one.

17 of 22 (7,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 3:49:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
You could always check Criagslist for your local area to see if there are any Infuses available for sale. I traded my iPod Touch for my iPhone from a seller that contacted me via e-mail who replied my trade listing. A couple days later, we both had a new toy. Smiley Wink

You could always check Criagslist for your local area to see if there are any Infuses available for sale. I traded my iPod Touch for my iPhone from a seller that contacted me via e-mail who replied my trade listing. A couple days later, we both had a new toy. Smiley Wink

18 of 22 (7,981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 7:58:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

Wild Banchi wrote:

I just bought a used Infuse online today from Cowboom for under $200.  Appears to be their regular price.

I know a lot of people complain about buying from Cowboom, but I just recently bought a Captivate for my wife from them, and it came exactly as described.  Took about a week to go from Texas to Michigan with the free shipping option.

I've read that if you can find a phone on their website with nothing posted in the "Notes" section, then that means that it's essentially mint.  The one I picked was listed as having "fine scratches on sides & bottom", and I was fine with that (I just didn't want a scratched screen).  

Be aware that, if you buy from them, all you'll probably get is the phone & battery.  No cables or accessories.

Wild Banchi wrote:

I just bought a used Infuse online today from Cowboom for under $200.  Appears to be their regular price.

I know a lot of people complain about buying from Cowboom, but I just recently bought a Captivate for my wife from them, and it came exactly as described.  Took about a week to go from Texas to Michigan with the free shipping option.

I've read that if you can find a phone on their website with nothing posted in the "Notes" section, then that means that it's essentially mint.  The one I picked was listed as having "fine scratches on sides & bottom", and I was fine with that (I just didn't want a scratched screen).  

Be aware that, if you buy from them, all you'll probably get is the phone & battery.  No cables or accessories.

19 of 22 (7,940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 9:52:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

We don't really have a local Craig's list as we live in a very rural area. The nearest one is Taos/Santa Fe and that has mostly listings from Santa Fe which is 150 miles away. Taos is only 65 miles away which isn't bad.

Anyway, I bought a Motorola Atrix 2 - decided I liked it better than the Samsungs. The screen size is just right at 4.3 inches and it runs on the newest Gingerbread platform. At first it didn't work with the data plan with my prepaid account but after some research on the internet I figured out how to get it hooked up to the GoPhone data plan. I had to add a new APN with the correct settings to access the data in the GoPhone data package. Everything is working perfectly now!

I even found a Widget called Super Power Control that lets you shut the wireless and data plans off and on separately which is really handy. I can turn the data useage off and not worry that the phone is using data to update itself if it doesn't have any wireless connection.

So, now everything works really well on it and I'm really happy with it. The screen is beautiful, it's SUPER fast and I've kind of fallen in love with it! Now, I just need to find a nice case to carry it around with me so I don't have to worry about breaking it.

Now that I know you can add a new APN to the mobile networks area in the menus - I'm sure you could get any of the Android phones to work with a GoPhone plan. At first I was really disappointed when I received the phone that I couldn't access my GoPhone data plan but it really didn't take that much research to figure out how to do it. I'm sure the AT&T store that is 20 miles from here would have helped if I couldn't figure it out but I'm glad I saved myself the trip and learned a lot about setting phones up in the process!

I'm liking this phone so much - I wish I would have gotten one of the smart phones a long time ago!

We don't really have a local Craig's list as we live in a very rural area. The nearest one is Taos/Santa Fe and that has mostly listings from Santa Fe which is 150 miles away. Taos is only 65 miles away which isn't bad.

Anyway, I bought a Motorola Atrix 2 - decided I liked it better than the Samsungs. The screen size is just right at 4.3 inches and it runs on the newest Gingerbread platform. At first it didn't work with the data plan with my prepaid account but after some research on the internet I figured out how to get it hooked up to the GoPhone data plan. I had to add a new APN with the correct settings to access the data in the GoPhone data package. Everything is working perfectly now!

I even found a Widget called Super Power Control that lets you shut the wireless and data plans off and on separately which is really handy. I can turn the data useage off and not worry that the phone is using data to update itself if it doesn't have any wireless connection.

So, now everything works really well on it and I'm really happy with it. The screen is beautiful, it's SUPER fast and I've kind of fallen in love with it! Now, I just need to find a nice case to carry it around with me so I don't have to worry about breaking it.

Now that I know you can add a new APN to the mobile networks area in the menus - I'm sure you could get any of the Android phones to work with a GoPhone plan. At first I was really disappointed when I received the phone that I couldn't access my GoPhone data plan but it really didn't take that much research to figure out how to do it. I'm sure the AT&T store that is 20 miles from here would have helped if I couldn't figure it out but I'm glad I saved myself the trip and learned a lot about setting phones up in the process!

I'm liking this phone so much - I wish I would have gotten one of the smart phones a long time ago!

20 of 22 (7,933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 1:56:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
It makes me happy to hear that you're enjoying the "prepaid advantage". It's fairly cheap to use your phone, too, compared to paying at least $55 plus taxes every month for a basic 450 minutes plan and 200MB data plan.

You've got a great setup, and I hope you'll stay satisfied with what it provides for you. Smiley Happy

It makes me happy to hear that you're enjoying the "prepaid advantage". It's fairly cheap to use your phone, too, compared to paying at least $55 plus taxes every month for a basic 450 minutes plan and 200MB data plan.

You've got a great setup, and I hope you'll stay satisfied with what it provides for you. Smiley Happy

21 of 22 (7,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 1:42:55 PM
(0)
Contributor
Yes im useding a samsung infuse 4g and it works good with web its kind of slow tho but it works
Yes im useding a samsung infuse 4g and it works good with web its kind of slow tho but it works

22 of 22 (7,679 Views)