Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 17, 2010
2:09:23 PM
View profile
Is NOKIA dwindling from the ATT ranks??

To me, by far, Nokia has been the very best phone that I have owned, and I've owned a few Nokias over the years. What's up with ATT??? I looked at the list of Nokia's offered by ATT and I wouldn't waste a penny on 3 out of the 4 that are listed. Is ATT doing away with carrying Nokia products and WHY???? I may have to buy elsewhere if I want another Nokia in the future, it seems. Smiley Indifferent 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

To me, by far, Nokia has been the very best phone that I have owned, and I've owned a few Nokias over the years. What's up with ATT??? I looked at the list of Nokia's offered by ATT and I wouldn't waste a penny on 3 out of the 4 that are listed. Is ATT doing away with carrying Nokia products and WHY???? I may have to buy elsewhere if I want another Nokia in the future, it seems. Smiley Indifferent 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Is NOKIA dwindling from the ATT ranks??

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 6:41:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

Yes.

Nokia has made both my best (Nokia 9300) and worst (Nokia N97) phones.

I spoke with an AT&T Business representative at a trade show and there myriad reason why AT&T doesn't offer the high-end Nokia devices.

From the marketing standpoint...Nokia is notorious for not making product roll-out dates spoiling the timing of advertisements as well as having such buggy software on initial release that there are many returns by disillusioned customers, not to mention customer service calls--something that spoils the already wafer-thin margin on phones.

As Nokia is by far the largest cell phone manufacturer in the world, they are overly proud of their products and do not discount as much as their competition.

Third-party developers have real problems getting their goods to market to support the upper-end devices for the reasons mentioned above, so there is less software developed for them.

These are just a few of the reasons...

Yes.

Nokia has made both my best (Nokia 9300) and worst (Nokia N97) phones.

I spoke with an AT&T Business representative at a trade show and there myriad reason why AT&T doesn't offer the high-end Nokia devices.

From the marketing standpoint...Nokia is notorious for not making product roll-out dates spoiling the timing of advertisements as well as having such buggy software on initial release that there are many returns by disillusioned customers, not to mention customer service calls--something that spoils the already wafer-thin margin on phones.

As Nokia is by far the largest cell phone manufacturer in the world, they are overly proud of their products and do not discount as much as their competition.

Third-party developers have real problems getting their goods to market to support the upper-end devices for the reasons mentioned above, so there is less software developed for them.

These are just a few of the reasons...

Re: Is NOKIA dwindling from the ATT ranks??

2 of 10 (2,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 6:53:43 PM
(0)
Expert

Thanks, rdcinhou. What would be a good suggestion for a NEXT phone since Nokia will most likely NOT be a choice...EXCLUDING LG.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Thanks, rdcinhou. What would be a good suggestion for a NEXT phone since Nokia will most likely NOT be a choice...EXCLUDING LG.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

3 of 10 (2,225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 7:12:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm so disillusioned with my N97 after having spent SO much money for it, I can't rationalize trying to find a replacement.

My 9300 was a *GREAT* platform--I had a whole suite of mature and affordable applications (spreadsheets, relational database, multiple e-book readers, a BASIC interpretter, an OPL compiler, file compression & encryption and it received Blackberry Internet Service "push" email).  It made phone calls with ease and was a great speakerphone.  Since there were literally two processors in it--one dedicated to phone use, you could literally work multiple simultaneous applications while in a call. The keyboard was spacious!  I used the heck out of it.

The N97 suffers from lack-of-useful-apps, poor call quality, clumbsy multi-tasking hamstrung by the pittance of C: drive memory.

Worse yet...as a converged device, the GPS hardly works (loses fixes, too slow to give turn-by-turn in time), the flash pictures on the camera are washed-out and if you take too many photos the image browser bombs out!

At the present time, when my N97 finally becomes so unstable that I can't do basic things with it, I think I'll buy a new battery and start using my 9300 again.  The old Lithium battery for it started swelling just after my N97 arrived--I think I broke its heart!

I'm so disillusioned with my N97 after having spent SO much money for it, I can't rationalize trying to find a replacement.

My 9300 was a *GREAT* platform--I had a whole suite of mature and affordable applications (spreadsheets, relational database, multiple e-book readers, a BASIC interpretter, an OPL compiler, file compression & encryption and it received Blackberry Internet Service "push" email).  It made phone calls with ease and was a great speakerphone.  Since there were literally two processors in it--one dedicated to phone use, you could literally work multiple simultaneous applications while in a call. The keyboard was spacious!  I used the heck out of it.

The N97 suffers from lack-of-useful-apps, poor call quality, clumbsy multi-tasking hamstrung by the pittance of C: drive memory.

Worse yet...as a converged device, the GPS hardly works (loses fixes, too slow to give turn-by-turn in time), the flash pictures on the camera are washed-out and if you take too many photos the image browser bombs out!

At the present time, when my N97 finally becomes so unstable that I can't do basic things with it, I think I'll buy a new battery and start using my 9300 again.  The old Lithium battery for it started swelling just after my N97 arrived--I think I broke its heart!

4 of 10 (2,220 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 2:32:49 AM
(0)
Expert

WOW!! That's a heck of a lot that a little phone can do!! I'd never use all of that! I suppose you're right in wanting to get a new battery for your 9300...the poor thing. I guess I should just use my Nokia til it won't function anymore and hope for the best.

Thanks!! Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

WOW!! That's a heck of a lot that a little phone can do!! I'd never use all of that! I suppose you're right in wanting to get a new battery for your 9300...the poor thing. I guess I should just use my Nokia til it won't function anymore and hope for the best.

Thanks!! Smiley Happy

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

5 of 10 (2,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 7:08:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's what I'd do too since the 9300 was such a great device for you.  I still use my 6820 every day - the only reason I upgraded to the E70 was a security change by Yahoo for POP e-mail that my 6820 couldn't support. Smiley Sad

And I love my SE - it has not turned out to be flimsy (for me anyway - I'm pretty careful with my phones) - but it doesn't have the build quality/sturdy feel that the Nokias do, so I still prefer a Nokia if they'll finally come out with one that is well suited for my needs.  I don't care whether at&t picks it up or not, as I'll buy non-branded regardless. 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

That's what I'd do too since the 9300 was such a great device for you.  I still use my 6820 every day - the only reason I upgraded to the E70 was a security change by Yahoo for POP e-mail that my 6820 couldn't support. Smiley Sad

And I love my SE - it has not turned out to be flimsy (for me anyway - I'm pretty careful with my phones) - but it doesn't have the build quality/sturdy feel that the Nokias do, so I still prefer a Nokia if they'll finally come out with one that is well suited for my needs.  I don't care whether at&t picks it up or not, as I'll buy non-branded regardless. 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 10 (2,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 9:20:14 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by turbo46032 on Sep 27, 2010 at 9:21:05 PM

Nokia is putting out way too many phones for their own good.

What is hurting them, tho, is the lack of a 'credible' smartphone. Sure, my e71x is smart enough, and cost me $50, but it ain't no iPhone. Somehow, Symbian is not in the same league as iPhone and Android.

Having said this, Symbian may be the best and worst thing that could happen. It is very easy to program with Qt (I do develop mobile software for a living, and I'd rather deal with Qt than with Android's chaos central or Apple's secretive stuff). Their build quality is very good, the hardware does what it's supposed to, and yet no luck. Same deal with RIM, for some reason. At the same time, thanks to the pricing of devices, the price difference between it and a 'credible' is very little...

Nokia will have one chance to make it up with the N8. If they mess it up, they'll be another Ericsson before too long.

What is hurting them, tho, is the lack of a 'credible' smartphone. Sure, my e71x is smart enough, and cost me $50, but it ain't no iPhone. Somehow, Symbian is not in the same league as iPhone and Android.

Having said this, Symbian may be the best and worst thing that could happen. It is very easy to program with Qt (I do develop mobile software for a living, and I'd rather deal with Qt than with Android's chaos central or Apple's secretive stuff). Their build quality is very good, the hardware does what it's supposed to, and yet no luck. Same deal with RIM, for some reason. At the same time, thanks to the pricing of devices, the price difference between it and a 'credible' is very little...

Nokia will have one chance to make it up with the N8. If they mess it up, they'll be another Ericsson before too long.

[ Edited ]
7 of 10 (2,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 3:40:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

turbo46032 wrote:

I strongly agree. The N8 looks absolutely stunning - I may even want to get it. I've never owned any Nokia phones in my life before, so this one would probably give them a good reputation from me if I were to get it.

I bet that the N8 will be a hit. As SOON as it's released.

Finally - a phone we've been waiting for.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

turbo46032 wrote:

I strongly agree. The N8 looks absolutely stunning - I may even want to get it. I've never owned any Nokia phones in my life before, so this one would probably give them a good reputation from me if I were to get it.

I bet that the N8 will be a hit. As SOON as it's released.

Finally - a phone we've been waiting for.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 10 (1,994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 5:16:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

I am also a long time Nokia fan and wonder about the comment of their phones being buggy.  Yes, if you got an e71x from AT&T it was definately buggy and had all kinds of AT&T buyware on it.  Mine lasted 2 weeks before it went back to the store where I purchased it from.  I can proudly say that my non-branded e71 works awesome.  No buyware and not a single dropped call yet.  I don't know where the bugs were on my phone as I never did witness one.

I am also a long time Nokia fan and wonder about the comment of their phones being buggy.  Yes, if you got an e71x from AT&T it was definately buggy and had all kinds of AT&T buyware on it.  Mine lasted 2 weeks before it went back to the store where I purchased it from.  I can proudly say that my non-branded e71 works awesome.  No buyware and not a single dropped call yet.  I don't know where the bugs were on my phone as I never did witness one.

9 of 10 (1,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 10:46:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

My perception has also been that the E71 (non-subsidized) was a successful device for Nokia - owners who bought the non-branded version seem to have been pretty overwhelmingly pleased.  The E71x is another story - but that can be said about any of the branded Nokias, especially when compared to a non-branded version.

At least in my opinion, where Nokia's failings are as a smartphone have been in the calendar and e-mail functionality.  Hopefully those shortcomings will be corrected in the new Symbian/with the N8 and E7.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

My perception has also been that the E71 (non-subsidized) was a successful device for Nokia - owners who bought the non-branded version seem to have been pretty overwhelmingly pleased.  The E71x is another story - but that can be said about any of the branded Nokias, especially when compared to a non-branded version.

At least in my opinion, where Nokia's failings are as a smartphone have been in the calendar and e-mail functionality.  Hopefully those shortcomings will be corrected in the new Symbian/with the N8 and E7.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

10 of 10 (1,928 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments