Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 27, 2011
5:17:35 PM
Is 50$ unlimited talk text and web only unlimited if you use the go phones for web??????

Hi ther is the 50$ talk text and web plan give "unlimited web accesss (without surcharges) only if you use the crappy go phone? ----

How can they tell whether you are using teh crappy go phone or not?

Hi ther is the 50$ talk text and web plan give "unlimited web accesss (without surcharges) only if you use the crappy go phone? ----

How can they tell whether you are using teh crappy go phone or not?

Is 50$ unlimited talk text and web only unlimited if you use the go phones for web??????

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2011 5:56:17 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Aug 27, 2011 at 6:08:35 PM

Student13, I replied earlier to your exact same question.  Let's try it  again, shall we? ("redundancy is the mother of all learning", they say, student13)  *sigh*

AT&T can tell the specific model of your smartphone because of  the eight leading digits of your cellphone's IMEI (International Mobile Equipment ID).  That eight-digit field is called the TAC or Type Allocation Code, and identifies manufacturer (Apple) and the equipment by model number (3G, 3GS, 4, ...).

You do not believe me?

GOTO: http://www.nobbi.com/tacquery.php?errmsg=5&search=IMEI

Enter your TAC (eight leading digits of your IMEI) of your iPhone (the IMEI is found under Settings > General > About or by "keying" the sequence *#06# and hiting [SEND])

For example, the TAC of my iPhone 3G is 01174200.  What is yours?

I hope you will finally understand:  AT&T can tell the model and type of smartphone you are using, and thus shutdown your inappropriate data use.  Period.

Student13, I replied earlier to your exact same question.  Let's try it  again, shall we? ("redundancy is the mother of all learning", they say, student13)  *sigh*

AT&T can tell the specific model of your smartphone because of  the eight leading digits of your cellphone's IMEI (International Mobile Equipment ID).  That eight-digit field is called the TAC or Type Allocation Code, and identifies manufacturer (Apple) and the equipment by model number (3G, 3GS, 4, ...).

You do not believe me?

GOTO: http://www.nobbi.com/tacquery.php?errmsg=5&search=IMEI

Enter your TAC (eight leading digits of your IMEI) of your iPhone (the IMEI is found under Settings > General > About or by "keying" the sequence *#06# and hiting [SEND])

For example, the TAC of my iPhone 3G is 01174200.  What is yours?

I hope you will finally understand:  AT&T can tell the model and type of smartphone you are using, and thus shutdown your inappropriate data use.  Period.

Re: Is 50$ unlimited talk text and web only unlimited if you use the go phones for web??????

[ Edited ]
2 of 6 (8,712 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2011 9:18:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi there, when you first answered its no thtat I did not listen, its that when I read the  pricing guide at  at partiular unnamed store I remembered it saying clearly unlimited talk text and "web".

Then after yoru comments I read the website pricing guide (which was more confusing because it said that smart phones need to an additional data but that the plan was unlimited ?) This broguht more quetions such as does it mean if you use your own smart phone you have to pay teh extra data rate (IE if I buy an HTC freestyle Go phone even though it is a smart phone) will I have to pay an extra data rate, or do all go phones irregardless of whether they are a smart go phone or a sumb go phone get the unlimited data rate?

SO after all this confusion and asking other people like yoruself, who HAVE not purchased the extra data package AND managed to get web on teh flat fee, its all about giving the right imei number.

Hi there, when you first answered its no thtat I did not listen, its that when I read the  pricing guide at  at partiular unnamed store I remembered it saying clearly unlimited talk text and "web".

Then after yoru comments I read the website pricing guide (which was more confusing because it said that smart phones need to an additional data but that the plan was unlimited ?) This broguht more quetions such as does it mean if you use your own smart phone you have to pay teh extra data rate (IE if I buy an HTC freestyle Go phone even though it is a smart phone) will I have to pay an extra data rate, or do all go phones irregardless of whether they are a smart go phone or a sumb go phone get the unlimited data rate?

SO after all this confusion and asking other people like yoruself, who HAVE not purchased the extra data package AND managed to get web on teh flat fee, its all about giving the right imei number.

Re: Is 50$ unlimited talk text and web only unlimited if you use the go phones for web??????

3 of 6 (8,692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2011 9:35:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

student13 wrote:

Only non-smartphones are eligible for unlimited data with the qualifying $50 Unlimited plan. Smartphones can be used on this plan, but in order to use data services, you must subscribe to a separate data package. This is because smartphones use more data than regular "dumbphones" and costs AT&T more money that they are wanting you, as the customer, to pay for...

In regards to your example, the HTC Freestlye is NOT a smartphone. It will not need an additional data package and data use is unlimited with the $50 plan.

Hope this helps clear some confusion.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

student13 wrote:

Only non-smartphones are eligible for unlimited data with the qualifying $50 Unlimited plan. Smartphones can be used on this plan, but in order to use data services, you must subscribe to a separate data package. This is because smartphones use more data than regular "dumbphones" and costs AT&T more money that they are wanting you, as the customer, to pay for...

In regards to your example, the HTC Freestlye is NOT a smartphone. It will not need an additional data package and data use is unlimited with the $50 plan.

Hope this helps clear some confusion.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (8,686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2012 8:50:11 PM
(0)
Contributor
A Quick Question, does At&t just read the Sim Card, or does the phone transmit the IemI # as the phone is being used. If I had a smartphone, but was using a sim card fron a prior feature phone. How would At&t know, as long I did not try and upgrade smartphone?
A Quick Question, does At&t just read the Sim Card, or does the phone transmit the IemI # as the phone is being used. If I had a smartphone, but was using a sim card fron a prior feature phone. How would At&t know, as long I did not try and upgrade smartphone?

5 of 6 (7,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 24, 2012 9:12:39 PM
(0)
Scholar
I believe they can recognize by IMEI. Let my dad borrow my LG Quantum back when there was the huge 2G outage and the phone on the account page registered that he has an LG Quantum (smartphone). Only used it for one day and immediately swapped it back for his dumbphone as soon as 2G service was restored so no data charges.
I believe they can recognize by IMEI. Let my dad borrow my LG Quantum back when there was the huge 2G outage and the phone on the account page registered that he has an LG Quantum (smartphone). Only used it for one day and immediately swapped it back for his dumbphone as soon as 2G service was restored so no data charges.

6 of 6 (7,065 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments