Iphone4 email problems

Tutor

Iphone4 email problems

While traveling I can receive emails but cannot send them.  My ISP is comcast.net.  I have verified the email account settings with comcast who says the problem is with ATT.  The ATT store says the problem is with comast. Has anyone else had this issue?  thanks

Message 1 of 14 (1,679 Views)
Professor

Re: Iphone4 email problems

Many ISPs prevent you from sending emails through their servers unless you are actually connected to their server.  For example, I use Bellsouth and I can only send emails on my phone using their outgoing mail server when I'm connected to my home wireless network which is connected to my Bellsouth DSL modem.  Trying to send via AT&T's cell connection or through wireless at a hotel doesn't work.  This only affects sending, not receiving.

You can try using a third party mail service like Yahoo or Google, or change your outgoing mail server to cwmx.com, which is AT&Ts mail server for the cell network.

Message 2 of 14 (1,669 Views)
Tutor

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Message 3 of 14 (1,655 Views)
Scholar

dwill05 wrote:

Many ISPs prevent you from sending emails through their servers unless you are actually connected to their server.  For example, I use Bellsouth and I can only send emails on my phone using their outgoing mail server when I'm connected to my home wireless network which is connected to my Bellsouth DSL modem.  Trying to send via AT&T's cell connection or through wireless at a hotel doesn't work.  This only affects sending, not receiving.

You can try using a third party mail service like Yahoo or Google, or change your outgoing mail server to cwmx.com, which is AT&Ts mail server for the cell network.

I use Comcast e-mail as well and have not had a problem connecting from outside my home network.  I assume you've double checked the smtp settings? 

Message 4 of 14 (1,653 Views)
ACE - Professor

Try replicating the settings here

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?Guid=3aaac773-9491-49a7-b809-2957fc398921

I don't know if comcast has an IMAP server, but you want to replicate the sending settings. To test, turn off wifi (so you connect via 3G) and send email.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 14 (1,649 Views)
Tutor

Yes I have double check my smtp settings...thanks for the info.

Message 6 of 14 (1,621 Views)
Tutor

I will try that and let you know..thanks much
Message 7 of 14 (1,620 Views)
Tutor

thanks for the link.  I went through and duplicated all of the settings as suggested by comcast. The server port was 995 so i changed it to 587...still no luck.  When the phone tries to verify the new setting I get a message that "The POP server mail.comcast.net is not responding. Check your network connection  etc etc etc.

Thanks for help, but i will have to keep working on it.

Message 8 of 14 (1,618 Views)
ACE - Professor

Yeah, comcast POP email is pretty nasty. I am on comcast business class, which includes exchange based email, which works fine with the iPhone... but I don't use it anyway.

Not sure what else to suggest other than "don't use comcast email" Smiley Sad
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 14 (1,594 Views)
Scholar

MALTBY wrote:

thanks for the link.  I went through and duplicated all of the settings as suggested by comcast. The server port was 995 so i changed it to 587...still no luck.  When the phone tries to verify the new setting I get a message that "The POP server mail.comcast.net is not responding. Check your network connection  etc etc etc.

Thanks for help, but i will have to keep working on it.

I use smtp.comcast.net  (ssl on) Port 465.  It works for me, hope this helps.

Message 10 of 14 (1,584 Views)
Mentor

I use the Xfinity Mobile App....it seems to work just fine for sending and receiving comcast emails.  At least since its their app it works, but I know its more convenient to use the embedded mail app.

Message 11 of 14 (1,157 Views)
Master

Try deleting the account on your iPhone and set it up again?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 12 of 14 (1,148 Views)
Employee

could try setting the outgoing server to cwmx.com that's at&T's outgoing server for personal email accounts on your phone
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 14 (1,146 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks to all of you for your help.  The problem is solved.  I deleted the comcast account at made ATT the default outgoing server and that seems to have done the trick.

Thanks again!

Message 14 of 14 (1,117 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.