Iphone sync issues

Contributor

Iphone sync issues

My employer has blocked Itunes from being downloaded onto our computers.  They also do not allow us to access email/contacts/calendars on mobile devices via the exchange server.  They also will not authorize a wireless network to be connected to the server.  So, it has gotten difficult to continue to sync my Outlook contacts and calendar with my Iphone for when I travel.  Does anyone know of any third party software that would allow me to sync with Outlook without using wifi or itunes?  We do have Outlook Web Access, but I also do not seem to be able to sync with that.  We have several Iphone users in our offices, so any known workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

454 Views
Message 1 of 8
Teacher

Re: Iphone sync issues

Search for Google Calendar Sync. It may do want you want.

 

I used it to sync family appointments on a Google calendar to my Outlook calendar. It will also sync from Outlook to the Google calendar. At work, we have Outlook running through Exchange server.

Message 2 of 8
Expert

Re: Iphone sync issues


bkeenan wrote:

Search for Google Calendar Sync. It may do want you want.

 

I used it to sync family appointments on a Google calendar to my Outlook calendar. It will also sync from Outlook to the Google calendar. At work, we have Outlook running through Exchange server.


would be willing to be security is set so this won;t work either, since it appears the employer blocks local installs on corproate equipment. Add to the fact they are using OWA which does not reside on the local users desktop

 

Best bet, move all personal contacts and calendar to a local install on the home machine with student editions of Office in you qualify or do everything through the cloud with google apps

Message 3 of 8
Master

Re: Iphone sync issues

If work is blocking all these things, they don't want you accessing it in this manner. I would assume that attempts to circumvent these items could result in your termination. Inconvenient for accessing your work but not worth loosing a job over.
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 4 of 8
ACE - Master

Re: Iphone sync issues

I would agree with the other posting that says that with everything they are doing to prevent you from doing this, that they really don't want you to do it, so continuing to try t get around their security might get you in trouble with them (and at some companies like where I work, might get you fired).

 

Having stated that, I would ask if you have tried to connect your iPhone to the OWA server?  For me to setup m iPhone to my work exchange server, I just created a new exchange account, and pointed the server to the OWA server.  I had to provide my credentials for the corporate Windows Active Directory domain to connect, and I must edit the details every time I chane my password, but it happily works for me.  Since getting my own iPhone working, I have configured several executive's iPhones in our building, so even though iPhones are not officially supported in our environment, they let it go because there are too many executives that they would get upset if they totally disallowed it now (besides, Apple is one of our customers, so the people working on that account must use Apple products, or they can't take them onto the Apple campus when they go for office visits).


Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8
Expert

Re: Iphone sync issues


GeekBoy wrote:

I would agree with the other posting that says that with everything they are doing to prevent you from doing this, that they really don't want you to do it, so continuing to try t get around their security might get you in trouble with them (and at some companies like where I work, might get you fired).

 

Having stated that, I would ask if you have tried to connect your iPhone to the OWA server?  For me to setup m iPhone to my work exchange server, I just created a new exchange account, and pointed the server to the OWA server.  I had to provide my credentials for the corporate Windows Active Directory domain to connect, and I must edit the details every time I chane my password, but it happily works for me.  Since getting my own iPhone working, I have configured several executive's iPhones in our building, so even though iPhones are not officially supported in our environment, they let it go because there are too many executives that they would get upset if they totally disallowed it now (besides, Apple is one of our customers, so the people working on that account must use Apple products, or they can't take them onto the Apple campus when they go for office visits).



for that to work, the setting has to be turned on for each account on the exchange server that the corporation allows to do this, if they lock things down that tight I suspect that they did not miss that one.

Message 6 of 8
Contributor

Re: Iphone sync issues

Thanks for all of the feedback and concern.  We actually are in a little bit different situation with security and permissions.  Our whole office is interested in a solution that we could propose to the powers that be (beyond our organization) as a solution that fits within the security protocols.  We are very interested in the OWA option but so far haven't been able to get it to work.  There is obviously a section on Mobile Devices in OWA, but we don'tseem to be able to access that either, as all server names we have tried have not connected.  This is one that we are taking higher to see if we can work through the details of being able to sync with that.  If anyone has insight on how to set this up, let me know.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 8
Expert

Re: Iphone sync issues


NCSW101 wrote:

Thanks for all of the feedback and concern.  We actually are in a little bit different situation with security and permissions.  Our whole office is interested in a solution that we could propose to the powers that be (beyond our organization) as a solution that fits within the security protocols.  We are very interested in the OWA option but so far haven't been able to get it to work.  There is obviously a section on Mobile Devices in OWA, but we don'tseem to be able to access that either, as all server names we have tried have not connected.  This is one that we are taking higher to see if we can work through the details of being able to sync with that.  If anyone has insight on how to set this up, let me know.  Thanks.


Depedns on what version of Exchange server you are running in your office that back ends the OWA, From Exchange 2000 on to the current version there is buit in support to sync from Outlook to a mobile device, it just needs to be setup in the Excahgne server. If tOWA is being hosted for you the hosting service should (if they are worth their salt) be able to turn on the functionality, although most hosting services charge extra for that.

 

What you want is totally possible, the method is variable, if background details can be supplied the suggestions would be a lot more accurate

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Additional Support