Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 29, 2010
8:21:17 AM
View profile
Iphone as Itouch?

I have an iphone 3g model and really just dont need a phone at all but would still like to use wifi and ipod. if i cancel my account with at&t will the iphone 3g still work with wifi and ipod?

I have an iphone 3g model and really just dont need a phone at all but would still like to use wifi and ipod. if i cancel my account with at&t will the iphone 3g still work with wifi and ipod?

Iphone as Itouch?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 10:19:47 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Sep 29, 2010 at 10:20:33 AM

You need to deactivate your iPhone plan and pull the SIM out. Be sure you pull the SIM out and activate Airplane Mode. If you decide to insert your SIM and use the iPhone again, you will be required to have the $15/$25 data plan.

To cancel your account, contact customer service 611.

You need to deactivate your iPhone plan and pull the SIM out. Be sure you pull the SIM out and activate Airplane Mode. If you decide to insert your SIM and use the iPhone again, you will be required to have the $15/$25 data plan.

To cancel your account, contact customer service 611.

Re: Iphone as Itouch?

[ Edited ]
2 of 8 (1,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 10:58:13 AM
(0)
Professor

Just remember that if you are still under contract, you are still responsible for completing the terms of that contract or paying the ETF.

Just remember that if you are still under contract, you are still responsible for completing the terms of that contract or paying the ETF.

3 of 8 (1,607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 1:21:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

Is it still possible to sync music and apps on a iphone that is out of commission?

Is it still possible to sync music and apps on a iphone that is out of commission?

4 of 8 (1,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 1:46:07 PM
(0)
Former Employee

josephz2va wrote:

You need to deactivate your iPhone plan and pull the SIM out. Be sure you pull the SIM out and activate Airplane Mode.

If they deactivate the SIM when you cancel service (and I believe they do), you do not need to remove it from the phone or put the phone in airplane mode. For one thing, if you remove the SIM you will get a nagging alert that there is no SIM card. When I upgraded to iphone4, the SIM in my 3G was deactivated and with that deactivated SIM still in the 3G, it now has no cell service (phone or data) but wifi still works. In other words, it is now like an IPOD touch and yes, I can still sync music and apps with it.

josephz2va wrote:

You need to deactivate your iPhone plan and pull the SIM out. Be sure you pull the SIM out and activate Airplane Mode.

If they deactivate the SIM when you cancel service (and I believe they do), you do not need to remove it from the phone or put the phone in airplane mode. For one thing, if you remove the SIM you will get a nagging alert that there is no SIM card. When I upgraded to iphone4, the SIM in my 3G was deactivated and with that deactivated SIM still in the 3G, it now has no cell service (phone or data) but wifi still works. In other words, it is now like an IPOD touch and yes, I can still sync music and apps with it.

5 of 8 (1,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 3:19:25 PM
(0)
Professor

if your going to cancel your account. just leave the deactivated sim in the Iphone. then reaqctivate the Iphone only thru itunes. when it gets to the screen saying select your rate plan disconnect from Itunes and the Iphone will activate but says NO SERVICE. then you can use as a ipod.

if your going to cancel your account. just leave the deactivated sim in the Iphone. then reaqctivate the Iphone only thru itunes. when it gets to the screen saying select your rate plan disconnect from Itunes and the Iphone will activate but says NO SERVICE. then you can use as a ipod.

hello!!!

6 of 8 (1,518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 3:21:24 PM
(0)
Professor

sandblaster wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

what nagging alert? my old iphone did not this  and its not in airplane mode. it works fine as Ipod and WiFi device.

sandblaster wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

what nagging alert? my old iphone did not this  and its not in airplane mode. it works fine as Ipod and WiFi device.

hello!!!

7 of 8 (1,515 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 4:32:31 PM
(0)
Former Employee

Maybe it's not nagging because I'm not sure how often it pops up, but when you remove the SIM you get a blue pop up notification of "No SIM Card Installed".

Maybe it's not nagging because I'm not sure how often it pops up, but when you remove the SIM you get a blue pop up notification of "No SIM Card Installed".

8 of 8 (1,495 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments