Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 28, 2011
8:44:43 PM
View profile
Iphone DATA Options - GoPhone Pay As You Go

Hi There,

I am an Aussie who visits the USA regularly and rather than having a "post-paid" plan, I have a prepaid cell.

I have an iPhone 3GS on a 'GoPhone Pay As You Go' plan (10¢ per Minute Plan)

Last time I was in the USA (January), I purchased a data package (500 MB $25), but I was not able to use the service because the data package available were for all smartphones EXCEPT the iPhone.

Can you tell me if this has changed and I can now buy data packages on my plan?

If not, what is the best solution?

I need a prepaid option that gives me 365 days validity (to keep my account alive), but as I have an Iphone, I need a data option.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi There,

I am an Aussie who visits the USA regularly and rather than having a "post-paid" plan, I have a prepaid cell.

Last time I was in the USA (January), I purchased a data package (500 MB $25), but I was not able to use the service because the data package available were for all smartphones EXCEPT the iPhone.

I need a prepaid option that gives me 365 days validity (to keep my account alive), but as I have an Iphone, I need a data option.

Thanks,

Andrew

Iphone DATA Options - GoPhone Pay As You Go

28 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(28)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2011 9:34:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

trend79 wrote:

Hi There,

Thanks,

Andrew

You will need to visit a special website to enable data to work on your prepaid iPhone. Otherwise, if you attempt to buy a data package, you will not be able to use it like last time. If you reply to this thread, I can PM you the instructions.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

trend79 wrote:

Hi There,

Thanks,

Andrew

You will need to visit a special website to enable data to work on your prepaid iPhone. Otherwise, if you attempt to buy a data package, you will not be able to use it like last time. If you reply to this thread, I can PM you the instructions.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Iphone DATA Options - GoPhone Pay As You Go

2 of 29 (12,751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2011 10:02:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi there,

Can you please PM the details, thx.

Andrew

Hi there,

Can you please PM the details, thx.

Andrew

3 of 29 (12,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2011 10:25:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
I sent you a PM, the details should be in your Inbox. Good luck.

I sent you a PM, the details should be in your Inbox. Good luck.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 29 (12,734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 8:58:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

In regards to the pay as you go for an iPhone, I am thinking about getting an iPhone to use on this pay as you go package, mainly because I have very little use for calls and texts and I have wi-fi here at home (I'm a stay at home mom), so I basically want a cheap cell phone that I can play with like an iPod touch via wi-fi, and I don't want to pay for any more than the few calls and texts I'll use the phone for.  Can I buy and AT&T ready iPhone for the pay as you go?  Or do I have to buy an unlocked iPhone instead?  And will the pay as you go option let me NOT get a data plan?  Thanks for your help.

In regards to the pay as you go for an iPhone, I am thinking about getting an iPhone to use on this pay as you go package, mainly because I have very little use for calls and texts and I have wi-fi here at home (I'm a stay at home mom), so I basically want a cheap cell phone that I can play with like an iPod touch via wi-fi, and I don't want to pay for any more than the few calls and texts I'll use the phone for.  Can I buy and AT&T ready iPhone for the pay as you go?  Or do I have to buy an unlocked iPhone instead?  And will the pay as you go option let me NOT get a data plan?  Thanks for your help.

5 of 29 (12,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 9:12:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Since iPhones are not provisioned for prepaid use, they are not sold anywhere except online retail or auction websites, such as eBay or craigslist. You will have to purchase one there. It does not have to be unlocked, but an AT&T-locked one would work better, I would think.

Nope, you do NOT need a data plan for a prepaid iPhone. Smiley Happy Only if you want to use data services would you need to purchase a data package. I would advise to use Wi-Fi instead, so data would not be accessible. It's up to you if you need it or not.

Prepaid iPhones will work fine for calling and text messaging. Data is the only feature that will not work unless you go through a special process.

Since iPhones are not provisioned for prepaid use, they are not sold anywhere except online retail or auction websites, such as eBay or craigslist. You will have to purchase one there. It does not have to be unlocked, but an AT&T-locked one would work better, I would think.

Nope, you do NOT need a data plan for a prepaid iPhone. Smiley Happy Only if you want to use data services would you need to purchase a data package. I would advise to use Wi-Fi instead, so data would not be accessible. It's up to you if you need it or not.

Prepaid iPhones will work fine for calling and text messaging. Data is the only feature that will not work unless you go through a special process.

6 of 29 (12,698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 1:16:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

Wild Banchi, does that mean I can't go to an apple store to buy an at&t iphone that will work on the go phone pay as you go?  I need to buy one online?  What is the difference, so I'll know specifically what I need to look for.  I'd prefer getting an at&t iphone, since the unlocked ones are a lot more expensive.   Thanks again for clearing all this up for me.

Wild Banchi, does that mean I can't go to an apple store to buy an at&t iphone that will work on the go phone pay as you go?  I need to buy one online?  What is the difference, so I'll know specifically what I need to look for.  I'd prefer getting an at&t iphone, since the unlocked ones are a lot more expensive.   Thanks again for clearing all this up for me.

7 of 29 (12,677 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 8:25:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

cweiskopf1 wrote:

Sorry if I was misunderstood - yes, you can visit an Apple store and purchase an iPhone there. You will need to pay full retail price for the phone, though. A new iPhone 4 would easily cost $600+. I had assumed that buying online would be a cheaper alternative, but the choice is ultimately up to you.

You're welcome.

cweiskopf1 wrote:

Sorry if I was misunderstood - yes, you can visit an Apple store and purchase an iPhone there. You will need to pay full retail price for the phone, though. A new iPhone 4 would easily cost $600+. I had assumed that buying online would be a cheaper alternative, but the choice is ultimately up to you.

You're welcome.

8 of 29 (12,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 11:53:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi,

I have a similar question as the OP.

I am in Canada and have a carrier Unlocked iPhone 3G.

I am travelling to the US and Caribbean and would like to buy a ATT 3G sim card to put in my iPhone for use on GoPay... Will this work?

Can I use the GoPay 10c plan and add on International Data?? How do they know I put the sim card in an Iphone versus another smartphone??

If this is not possible with ATT is there another US wireless provider you can suggest?

Thanks

Hi,

I am travelling to the US and Caribbean and would like to buy a ATT 3G sim card to put in my iPhone for use on GoPay... Will this work?

Can I use the GoPay 10c plan and add on International Data?? How do they know I put the sim card in an Iphone versus another smartphone??

If this is not possible with ATT is there another US wireless provider you can suggest?

Thanks

9 of 29 (12,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 1:01:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Sep 1, 2011 at 1:03:18 PM

coleworld wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Yes, you may purchase a prepaid GoPhone 3G SIM and it will work in your iPhone. You may also use the $0.10 a minute rate plan, but the data portion of your phone is where it gets tricky. You'll have to change your APN settings in your iPhone to use data or international data.

Their system can detect the IMEI number of the phone and conclude that you are using an iPhone, plus your SIM would be activated with the phone's IMEI number.

Aside from the data portion, everything will work right away. If you can get data enabled, then data should work, too. If this is a problem, try visiting T-Mobile and see if they have anything that would be able to help you.

coleworld wrote:

Hi,

Thanks

Yes, you may purchase a prepaid GoPhone 3G SIM and it will work in your iPhone. You may also use the $0.10 a minute rate plan, but the data portion of your phone is where it gets tricky. You'll have to change your APN settings in your iPhone to use data or international data.

Their system can detect the IMEI number of the phone and conclude that you are using an iPhone, plus your SIM would be activated with the phone's IMEI number.

Aside from the data portion, everything will work right away. If you can get data enabled, then data should work, too. If this is a problem, try visiting T-Mobile and see if they have anything that would be able to help you.

[ Edited ]
10 of 29 (12,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 1:50:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks, I've seen options out there regarding the APN settings, I guess I could try some, unless you know a good source..

Also will any 3G Gophone sim card work >> the ones on ATT do not list iPhone as compatible >> or is the ebay route the best way to go??

Thanks, I've seen options out there regarding the APN settings, I guess I could try some, unless you know a good source..

Also will any 3G Gophone sim card work >> the ones on ATT do not list iPhone as compatible >> or is the ebay route the best way to go??

11 of 29 (11,266 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2011 1:58:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
You're welcome. I will have to private message you the website.

Yes, any GoPhone SIM will work. eBay is the best route, I've bought some good ones there for only $3.77.

You're welcome. I will have to private message you the website.

Yes, any GoPhone SIM will work. eBay is the best route, I've bought some good ones there for only $3.77.

12 of 29 (11,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2011 11:09:36 PM
(0)
Contributor
can you message me???????????????????????????????
can you message me???????????????????????????????

13 of 29 (11,208 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2011 7:11:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Sure. What would you like to know? Basically the same thing as everyone else who participated in this thread asked about?

Sure. What would you like to know? Basically the same thing as everyone else who participated in this thread asked about?

14 of 29 (11,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2011 7:36:45 AM
(0)
Guru

cweiskopf1 wrote:

You could use an ipod touch and use an app such as text free that will allow you unlimited texts and limited calls as long as you are connected to wi-fi.

cweiskopf1 wrote:

You could use an ipod touch and use an app such as text free that will allow you unlimited texts and limited calls as long as you are connected to wi-fi.

15 of 29 (11,189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2011 2:57:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

an iPod Touch can text?  via an app?  Calls too?

16 of 29 (11,167 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2011 3:55:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

cweiskopf1 wrote:

Yes, it can send/receive text messages. I'm not 100% sure about calling, though. I don't know if it would work. But I sometimes use Textfree on mine to send text messages. Textfree with Voice would probably be the texting and calling combination app.

I would find it such an inconvenience to use compared to a regular cell phone because in order to use the app as a "phone", you'd have to be around Wi-Fi ALL the time. Where instead, a phone can rely on 3G data or EDGE instead of Wi-Fi.

cweiskopf1 wrote:

Yes, it can send/receive text messages. I'm not 100% sure about calling, though. I don't know if it would work. But I sometimes use Textfree on mine to send text messages. Textfree with Voice would probably be the texting and calling combination app.

I would find it such an inconvenience to use compared to a regular cell phone because in order to use the app as a "phone", you'd have to be around Wi-Fi ALL the time. Where instead, a phone can rely on 3G data or EDGE instead of Wi-Fi.

17 of 29 (11,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2011 4:25:32 AM
(0)
Professor
Yep. TextFree w/Voice on iPod Touch gives you texting and voice calls (with headset connected), all for free. Of course, you do have to be on WiFi.
Yep. TextFree w/Voice on iPod Touch gives you texting and voice calls (with headset connected), all for free. Of course, you do have to be on WiFi.

18 of 29 (11,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2011 10:14:24 AM
(0)
Contributor

I too have a iphone three 3g. I am paying for a data plan but unable to use it. Can you give me some info on how to be able to access the data package. Thanks.

I too have a iphone three 3g. I am paying for a data plan but unable to use it. Can you give me some info on how to be able to access the data package. Thanks.

19 of 29 (11,121 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2011 10:05:18 AM
(0)
Master

jimsid wrote:

At this time data plans for the iPhone are not supported on AT&T's prepaid service.

jimsid wrote:

At this time data plans for the iPhone are not supported on AT&T's prepaid service.

20 of 29 (10,997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 10:46:30 AM
(0)
Contributor
Hi Wild Banchi

I've tried some setting found in YouTube but not success. Could you send me how you did it ?

My iPhone is from Thailand and I got a sim from my friends which can calls and SMS but no data.

Cheers.
Bright
Hi Wild Banchi

I've tried some setting found in YouTube but not success. Could you send me how you did it ?

My iPhone is from Thailand and I got a sim from my friends which can calls and SMS but no data.

Cheers.
Bright

21 of 29 (10,782 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2011 9:20:22 PM
(0)
Contributor
Hi Wild Banchi,

I was also in need of that website if you could please PM me the website and/or instructions. Would be much appreciated (:

Thank you!

Chloe
Hi Wild Banchi,

I was also in need of that website if you could please PM me the website and/or instructions. Would be much appreciated (:

Thank you!

Chloe

22 of 29 (10,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 3:33:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

can i get a pm or message about how to get data on a pay as u go plan for an iphone 3gs plz

can i get a pm or message about how to get data on a pay as u go plan for an iphone 3gs plz

23 of 29 (10,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 3:34:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

can u tell me how to do it plz

can u tell me how to do it plz

24 of 29 (10,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 8:47:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Wild Banchi!

I'm in the same situation of trend79

Can you PM me the same instructions so I can make my data plan work?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Wild Banchi!

I'm in the same situation of trend79

Can you PM me the same instructions so I can make my data plan work?

Thanks in advance!

25 of 29 (10,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 2:23:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Hi all.. just so you know, no iPhone beyond the original and 2nd gen "edge only" iPhones are supported at all on go phone plans.

"Effective June 11, 2009, no new iPhone service for GoPhone."

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/index.jsp?q_termsKey=importantInformationGoPhon...

So, while you may be able to find a way to make it work, it's not supported. Just FYI.

Hi all.. just so you know, no iPhone beyond the original and 2nd gen "edge only" iPhones are supported at all on go phone plans.

"Effective June 11, 2009, no new iPhone service for GoPhone."

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/index.jsp?q_termsKey=importantInformationGoPhoneCustomers&q_termsName=Important+Information+for+GoPhone+Customers

So, while you may be able to find a way to make it work, it's not supported. Just FYI.

26 of 29 (10,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 11:53:18 PM
(0)
Contributor
can you PM me the info to male data work on prepaid iphone. thanks
can you PM me the info to male data work on prepaid iphone. thanks

27 of 29 (10,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 6:28:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

I would appreciate the instructions as well.

Thanks, Ed

I would appreciate the instructions as well.

Thanks, Ed

28 of 29 (10,112 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2011 12:12:46 PM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic.

This is an older topic which has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic.

This is an older topic which has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.
You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

29 of 29 (10,093 Views)