Iphone DATA Options - GoPhone Pay As You Go

Tutor

Iphone DATA Options - GoPhone Pay As You Go

Hi There,

I am an Aussie who visits the USA regularly and rather than having a "post-paid" plan, I have a prepaid cell.

I have an iPhone 3GS on a 'GoPhone Pay As You Go' plan (10¢ per Minute Plan)

Last time I was in the USA (January), I purchased a data package (500 MB $25), but I was not able to use the service because the data package available were for all smartphones EXCEPT the iPhone.

Can you tell me if this has changed and I can now buy data packages on my plan?

If not, what is the best solution?

I need a prepaid option that gives me 365 days validity (to keep my account alive), but as I have an Iphone, I need a data option.

Thanks,

Andrew

Message 1 of 29
Master

Re: Iphone DATA Options - GoPhone Pay As You Go

trend79 wrote:

Hi There,

I am an Aussie who visits the USA regularly and rather than having a "post-paid" plan, I have a prepaid cell.

I have an iPhone 3GS on a 'GoPhone Pay As You Go' plan (10¢ per Minute Plan)

Last time I was in the USA (January), I purchased a data package (500 MB $25), but I was not able to use the service because the data package available were for all smartphones EXCEPT the iPhone.

Can you tell me if this has changed and I can now buy data packages on my plan?

If not, what is the best solution?

I need a prepaid option that gives me 365 days validity (to keep my account alive), but as I have an Iphone, I need a data option.

Thanks,

Andrew

You will need to visit a special website to enable data to work on your prepaid iPhone. Otherwise, if you attempt to buy a data package, you will not be able to use it like last time. If you reply to this thread, I can PM you the instructions.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 29
Tutor

Hi there,

Can you please PM the details, thx.

Andrew

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 29
Master

I sent you a PM, the details should be in your Inbox. Good luck.

Message 4 of 29
Contributor

In regards to the pay as you go for an iPhone, I am thinking about getting an iPhone to use on this pay as you go package, mainly because I have very little use for calls and texts and I have wi-fi here at home (I'm a stay at home mom), so I basically want a cheap cell phone that I can play with like an iPod touch via wi-fi, and I don't want to pay for any more than the few calls and texts I'll use the phone for.  Can I buy and AT&T ready iPhone for the pay as you go?  Or do I have to buy an unlocked iPhone instead?  And will the pay as you go option let me NOT get a data plan?  Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 29
Master

Since iPhones are not provisioned for prepaid use, they are not sold anywhere except online retail or auction websites, such as eBay or craigslist. You will have to purchase one there. It does not have to be unlocked, but an AT&T-locked one would work better, I would think.

Nope, you do NOT need a data plan for a prepaid iPhone. Smiley Happy Only if you want to use data services would you need to purchase a data package. I would advise to use Wi-Fi instead, so data would not be accessible. It's up to you if you need it or not.

Prepaid iPhones will work fine for calling and text messaging. Data is the only feature that will not work unless you go through a special process.

Message 6 of 29
Contributor

Wild Banchi, does that mean I can't go to an apple store to buy an at&t iphone that will work on the go phone pay as you go?  I need to buy one online?  What is the difference, so I'll know specifically what I need to look for.  I'd prefer getting an at&t iphone, since the unlocked ones are a lot more expensive.   Thanks again for clearing all this up for me.

Message 7 of 29
Highlighted
Master

cweiskopf1 wrote:

Wild Banchi, does that mean I can't go to an apple store to buy an at&t iphone that will work on the go phone pay as you go?  I need to buy one online?  What is the difference, so I'll know specifically what I need to look for.  I'd prefer getting an at&t iphone, since the unlocked ones are a lot more expensive.   Thanks again for clearing all this up for me.

Sorry if I was misunderstood - yes, you can visit an Apple store and purchase an iPhone there. You will need to pay full retail price for the phone, though. A new iPhone 4 would easily cost $600+. I had assumed that buying online would be a cheaper alternative, but the choice is ultimately up to you.

You're welcome.

Message 8 of 29
Contributor

Hi,

I have a similar question as the OP.

I am in Canada and have a carrier Unlocked iPhone 3G.

I am travelling to the US and Caribbean and would like to buy a ATT 3G sim card to put in my iPhone for use on GoPay... Will this work?

Can I use the GoPay 10c plan and add on International Data?? How do they know I put the sim card in an Iphone versus another smartphone??

If this is not possible with ATT is there another US wireless provider you can suggest?

Thanks

Message 9 of 29
Master

coleworld wrote:

Hi,

I have a similar question as the OP.

I am in Canada and have a carrier Unlocked iPhone 3G.

I am travelling to the US and Caribbean and would like to buy a ATT 3G sim card to put in my iPhone for use on GoPay... Will this work?

Can I use the GoPay 10c plan and add on International Data?? How do they know I put the sim card in an Iphone versus another smartphone??

If this is not possible with ATT is there another US wireless provider you can suggest?

Thanks

Yes, you may purchase a prepaid GoPhone 3G SIM and it will work in your iPhone. You may also use the $0.10 a minute rate plan, but the data portion of your phone is where it gets tricky. You'll have to change your APN settings in your iPhone to use data or international data.

Their system can detect the IMEI number of the phone and conclude that you are using an iPhone, plus your SIM would be activated with the phone's IMEI number.

Aside from the data portion, everything will work right away. If you can get data enabled, then data should work, too. If this is a problem, try visiting T-Mobile and see if they have anything that would be able to help you.

Message 10 of 29
Contributor

Thanks, I've seen options out there regarding the APN settings, I guess I could try some, unless you know a good source..

Also will any 3G Gophone sim card work >> the ones on ATT do not list iPhone as compatible >> or is the ebay route the best way to go??

Message 11 of 29
Master

You're welcome. I will have to private message you the website.

Yes, any GoPhone SIM will work. eBay is the best route, I've bought some good ones there for only $3.77.

Message 12 of 29
Contributor

can you message me???????????????????????????????
Message 13 of 29
Master

Sure. What would you like to know? Basically the same thing as everyone else who participated in this thread asked about?

Message 14 of 29
Guru

cweiskopf1 wrote:

In regards to the pay as you go for an iPhone, I am thinking about getting an iPhone to use on this pay as you go package, mainly because I have very little use for calls and texts and I have wi-fi here at home (I'm a stay at home mom), so I basically want a cheap cell phone that I can play with like an iPod touch via wi-fi, and I don't want to pay for any more than the few calls and texts I'll use the phone for.  Can I buy and AT&T ready iPhone for the pay as you go?  Or do I have to buy an unlocked iPhone instead?  And will the pay as you go option let me NOT get a data plan?  Thanks for your help.

You could use an ipod touch and use an app such as text free that will allow you unlimited texts and limited calls as long as you are connected to wi-fi.
Message 15 of 29
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support