Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 5, 2011
12:11:03 PM
View profile
Iphone/AT&T warranties

What can I do now that I know my Iphone was stolen,  I had the phone put on suspended and went to the at&t store but there's no upgrade for me until 2/12/2012 and I don't want a lesser pay as you go phone after using the Iphone and I'm not paying for a brand new phone.  Is there any suggestions for the new comer?

What can I do now that I know my Iphone was stolen,  I had the phone put on suspended and went to the at&t store but there's no upgrade for me until 2/12/2012 and I don't want a lesser pay as you go phone after using the Iphone and I'm not paying for a brand new phone.  Is there any suggestions for the new comer?

Iphone/AT&T warranties

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2011 4:50:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Purchase a used iPhone on eBay, etc.?

At&t has already subsidized one iPhone purchase, so understandably they won't subsidize another one for you until Feb. 2012 when you've finished paying the first one off.  It's not a "warranty" issue as your phone was stolen, not defective.  In the future, if replacing a phone is too great of a financial burden to risk, then you can add it to your homeowner/renters' insurance, etc.  (There are other insurance options available beyond Asurion - via your monthly at&t billing - which won't insure iPhones.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Purchase a used iPhone on eBay, etc.?

At&t has already subsidized one iPhone purchase, so understandably they won't subsidize another one for you until Feb. 2012 when you've finished paying the first one off.  It's not a "warranty" issue as your phone was stolen, not defective.  In the future, if replacing a phone is too great of a financial burden to risk, then you can add it to your homeowner/renters' insurance, etc.  (There are other insurance options available beyond Asurion - via your monthly at&t billing - which won't insure iPhones.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Iphone/AT&T warranties

2 of 14 (885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 4:52:03 PM
(0)
Master
Check with your home owners; you may have some coverage. Did you file a police report?

You might want to see if you qualify for early upgrade pricing? Not as good as what you paid but better than full price. You Will end up extending your contract two more years if this option is available to you.

Add a line to your account as a family plan and keep two lines for the term of your contacts. Put a "dumb" phone on the new line so you do not have to pay for data. Move the new discounted iPhone to your existing line. You need to run the numbers to see if this makes sense financially for you.

As frustrating as this is, as stated before, ATT has already given you a discounted iPhone and they need to cover their costs to Apple.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Check with your home owners; you may have some coverage. Did you file a police report?

You might want to see if you qualify for early upgrade pricing? Not as good as what you paid but better than full price. You Will end up extending your contract two more years if this option is available to you.

Add a line to your account as a family plan and keep two lines for the term of your contacts. Put a "dumb" phone on the new line so you do not have to pay for data. Move the new discounted iPhone to your existing line. You need to run the numbers to see if this makes sense financially for you.

As frustrating as this is, as stated before, ATT has already given you a discounted iPhone and they need to cover their costs to Apple.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 14 (870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 6:01:09 PM
(0)
Master
I would just get a used iPhone 3G or 3GS off of eBay to hold you over for a few months till you are eligible for an upgrade.
I would just get a used iPhone 3G or 3GS off of eBay to hold you over for a few months till you are eligible for an upgrade.

4 of 14 (864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2011 6:33:37 PM
(0)
Professor

check Craigslist first. a 3GS on ebay in good to excellent  condition goes from 200$ up to 250$.i watched 13 auctions in the last week and prices was over 200$ even the broken/cracked screen water damage 3gs 16 gigbytes iphones. My wife got a Iphone 4 so we sold the 3GS on ebay got 232$ for it.  search around you should be able to find one for a decent price. if not only Option is to pay full price.

check Craigslist first. a 3GS on ebay in good to excellent  condition goes from 200$ up to 250$.i watched 13 auctions in the last week and prices was over 200$ even the broken/cracked screen water damage 3gs 16 gigbytes iphones. My wife got a Iphone 4 so we sold the 3GS on ebay got 232$ for it.  search around you should be able to find one for a decent price. if not only Option is to pay full price.

hello!!!

5 of 14 (859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 7:25:42 AM
(0)
Guru

As others have pointed out, one should not expect AT&T to sell you another phone at subsidized pricing simply to replace a phone that was stolen/lost, while you're still not yet eligible to purchase/upgrade at subsidized pricing.  Put it this way--say you bought a TV that was substantially discounted due to a one-time promo...then somehow that TV was stolen (and you just so happened not to have any insurance coverage for it); would you think for a moment that the store you bought the TV from would be obligated to sell you another one at the same discounted one-time promo price?  Sure, you can ask if they'd be willing to, but asking them doesn't mean that they must do so.

As others have pointed out, one should not expect AT&T to sell you another phone at subsidized pricing simply to replace a phone that was stolen/lost, while you're still not yet eligible to purchase/upgrade at subsidized pricing.  Put it this way--say you bought a TV that was substantially discounted due to a one-time promo...then somehow that TV was stolen (and you just so happened not to have any insurance coverage for it); would you think for a moment that the store you bought the TV from would be obligated to sell you another one at the same discounted one-time promo price?  Sure, you can ask if they'd be willing to, but asking them doesn't mean that they must do so.

6 of 14 (830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2011 3:47:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Irish Rose wrote:
Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me! 2012 is coming right up, anyway!

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Irish Rose wrote:
Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me! 2012 is coming right up, anyway!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 14 (804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2011 8:50:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

Be careful when you buy any iPhone from craigslist or eBay. You need to be absolutely certain that it has never been jailbroken or illegally unlocked. You'd be buying more trouble than they're worth.

Be careful when you buy any iPhone from craigslist or eBay. You need to be absolutely certain that it has never been jailbroken or illegally unlocked. You'd be buying more trouble than they're worth.

8 of 14 (742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 7:05:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Don't confuse a warranty and an insurance policy. The former protects you from manufacturing defects, the latter protects you from loss due to theft and/or accidents.

Apple provides a one year warranty on new iPhones, with walk-in service at any of their physical stores.

Typically, you purchase insurance for iPhones if you wish,  they may also be covered under your homeowners/renters insurance. Neither Apple nor AT&T provide any insurance with the initial purchase of an iPhone.

Don't confuse a warranty and an insurance policy. The former protects you from manufacturing defects, the latter protects you from loss due to theft and/or accidents.

Apple provides a one year warranty on new iPhones, with walk-in service at any of their physical stores.

Typically, you purchase insurance for iPhones if you wish,  they may also be covered under your homeowners/renters insurance. Neither Apple nor AT&T provide any insurance with the initial purchase of an iPhone.

9 of 14 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 7:08:39 AM
(0)
Master

smalcom wrote:

Caution is good but Jailbreaking and unlocking are not illegal activities.  If they have been, Apple can choose to not provide warranty and/or out of warranty service.

smalcom wrote:

Caution is good but Jailbreaking and unlocking are not illegal activities.  If they have been, Apple can choose to not provide warranty and/or out of warranty service.

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

10 of 14 (719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 7:09:48 AM
(0)
Master

johninsj wrote:

I think that ATT does offer Insurance for iPHones but it is expensive.  One needs to evaluate if the expense is worth the coverage.

johninsj wrote:

I think that ATT does offer Insurance for iPHones but it is expensive.  One needs to evaluate if the expense is worth the coverage.

11 of 14 (378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2011 11:46:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

youngjm wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Yes, they do, as do third parties. My point was that they're NOT included in the purchase price of the phone, that's all.

youngjm wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Yes, they do, as do third parties. My point was that they're NOT included in the purchase price of the phone, that's all.

12 of 14 (364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 5:14:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

johninsj wrote:

youngjm wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Insurance isn't "included" with the purchase of any device from at&t, for that matter. Smiley Wink

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

johninsj wrote:

youngjm wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Insurance isn't "included" with the purchase of any device from at&t, for that matter. Smiley Wink

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

13 of 14 (344 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2011 2:28:49 PM
(0)
Master

youngjm wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Correct, AT&T now offers iPhone insurance through Asurion. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/services/serviceDetails.jsp?LOSGId=&skuId=sku1040075&...

youngjm wrote:

johninsj wrote:

Correct, AT&T now offers iPhone insurance through Asurion. http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/services/serviceDetails.jsp?LOSGId=&skuId=sku1040075&catId=cat1360001&_requestid=138764

14 of 14 (323 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments