Helpful Links

Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

Contributor

Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

Hi all,

 

I received two Iphone 4s devices as a gift from my aunt. She bought them in the states and brought them to Israel. Here we discovered they were locked to AT&T. I called AT&T and explained that we're now stuck with unusable phones and asked for unlock, but they refused.

 

I think this case is an unfair conduct of business.

1. They should've told my aunt what an unlock phone means, and what are the implications.

2. They should've at least unlock them if they already sold them to someone buying the devices for out of the USA use.

 

Smiley Mad

2,897 Views
Message 1 of 27
Expert

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


prowler1976 wrote:

Hi all,

 

I received two Iphone 4s devices as a gift from my aunt. She bought them in the states and brought them to Israel. Here we discovered they were locked to AT&T. I called AT&T and explained that we're now stuck with unusable phones and asked for unlock, but they refused.

 

I think this case is an unfair conduct of business.

1. They should've told my aunt what an unlock phone means, and what are the implications.

2. They should've at least unlock them if they already sold them to someone buying the devices for out of the USA use.

 

Smiley Mad



know the rules before you play the game.

 

ATT does not and will not in the forseeable future unlock the iphone, this is documented in their terms and on their website. If you are within 30 days return them to the point of purchase or put them on fleabay to recoup your loss. Question did you aunt speicifly ask them if the phone would be unlocked, given the melting pot that the country not sure how you assume that the sales person would know that it was not to be used within the US

Message 2 of 27
Contributor

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

I'd say this:

 

If a nice old lady comes in and wants to buy the most expensive phone (two of them), and she doesn't choose a plan for either one, at least tell her something about the unlock feature. Ask her what, where, why. Don't expect her to know anything about iphone unlocks and stuff - notify her about the catch.

 

It only seems logical to me.

And still, no reason whatsoever for not unlocking phones that are outside of the USA anyways - its just plain crulty.

 

 

Message 3 of 27

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


prowler1976 wrote:

I'd say this:

 

If a nice old lady comes in and wants to buy the most expensive phone (two of them), and she doesn't choose a plan for either one, at least tell her something about the unlock feature. Ask her what, where, why. Don't expect her to know anything about iphone unlocks and stuff - notify her about the catch.

 

It only seems logical to me.

And still, no reason whatsoever for not unlocking phones that are outside of the USA anyways - its just plain crulty.

 

 


If a nice old lady comes in a buys two iphones, I would sell them to her and answer any questions she might have. It's none of my business what shes going to do with them, if she wants them she wants them. If I was going to purchase two iphones specifically for the purpose of using abroad, thats the first question I would ask is if I could unlock them to use in another country. If you don't ask, then you'll never know. AT&T will not unlock the iphone, theres no exceptions. I suggest if you are within the return period to return the phones as they will basically be a paperweight in another country without an active AT&T sim card.

Message 4 of 27
Master

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

Change the person who bought the phones, the country you are in and this story is just like many others here. ATT will not unlock that iPHone.

You can state that you do not think it is fair, you can come up with all sorts of reasons why they should and your argument is not new and and the answer is still the same.

You iPhones will not be unlocked. Find out how to return them or sell them on ebay or some other source and get iPhones that meet your needs.

Sorry!
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 27
Expert

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


prowler1976 wrote:

I'd say this:

 

If a nice old lady comes in and wants to buy the most expensive phone (two of them), and she doesn't choose a plan for either one, at least tell her something about the unlock feature. Ask her what, where, why. Don't expect her to know anything about iphone unlocks and stuff - notify her about the catch.

 

It only seems logical to me.

And still, no reason whatsoever for not unlocking phones that are outside of the USA anyways - its just plain crulty.

 

 



no it is not "just plain cruelity" - it is company policy nothing more nothing less. Due diligence research before purchase save a lot of after purchase problems

Message 6 of 27

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

Or to get this done. give the phones to me so that you will have no problem having a phone that you cannot use Smiley Happy Joke. Peace Smiley Tongue
Message 7 of 27
Guru

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

If a nice old lady walks in and is not from this country, the nice old lady should ask: I'm taking these out of the country, will they work there? So AT&T should ask every person that walks in to buy a phone if they phone is going to be used outside the country?? Besides if she bought them at AT&T, I'm sure they kept trying to get her to either open a new account or switch the phones for her!

prowler1976 wrote:

I'd say this:

 

If a nice old lady comes in and wants to buy the most expensive phone (two of them), and she doesn't choose a plan for either one, at least tell her something about the unlock feature. Ask her what, where, why. Don't expect her to know anything about iphone unlocks and stuff - notify her about the catch.

 

It only seems logical to me.

And still, no reason whatsoever for not unlocking phones that are outside of the USA anyways - its just plain crulty.

 

 


Message 8 of 27
Master

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

If AT&T and Apple told everyone everything that only applies to a small portion of the population, people would turn around and walk out because it is too complicated and it most likely does not apply to them.

Carriers are not always above board but consumers need to take responsibility for understanding what they are buying. Especially for something this expensive.

Your grandmother went there to do you a nice favor and you did not fully do your homework.
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 9 of 27

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


Facci wrote:
If a nice old lady walks in and is not from this country, the nice old lady should ask: I'm taking these out of the country, will they work there? So AT&T should ask every person that walks in to buy a phone if they phone is going to be used outside the country?? Besides if she bought them at AT&T, I'm sure they kept trying to get her to either open a new a-account or switch the phones for her!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.  Why wouldn't the at&t sales person tell the little old lady the phones are locked?
A.  he/she won't tell the little old lady the truth because he/she would lose the sale.
Just another good example of how at&t rips off unsuspecting people.
And to all you fanboys (and girls) who say at&t has no obligation to divulge this information, I can only hope your mother gets taken by some unscrupulous company like at&t.
Wingrider01 - no response needed,  just keeping you amused.

 

Message 10 of 27
Professor

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

The OP never said where the phones were bought from. Were they bought from AT&T or Apple or elsewhere? Were they bought online, or by walking into a store?

People are assuming that she walked into an AT&T store and bought them, and AT&T never mentioned unlocking, but does AT&T even sell no-contract iPhones in their stores?
Message 11 of 27
Master

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


dwill05 wrote:
The OP never said where the phones were bought from. Were they bought from AT&T or Apple or elsewhere? Were they bought online, or by walking into a store?

People are assuming that she walked into an AT&T store and bought them, and AT&T never mentioned unlocking, but does AT&T even sell no-contract iPhones in their stores?

I am not sure why ATT would not sell a no-Contract iphone that is locked to their network.  This type of user does not want a contract and ATT should have not problem with that transaction.  

 

Unlocked and without contract iPhones can only be purchased from Apple directly.

_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 12 of 27

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


Q.  Why wouldn't the at&t sales person tell the little old lady the phones are locked?


A. Because she never asked. Or she never told the salesperson what she was purchasing the phones for. Like he/she can read minds....

Message 13 of 27
Expert

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


wireless-user wrote:

Facci wrote:
If a nice old lady walks in and is not from this country, the nice old lady should ask: I'm taking these out of the country, will they work there? So AT&T should ask every person that walks in to buy a phone if they phone is going to be used outside the country?? Besides if she bought them at AT&T, I'm sure they kept trying to get her to either open a new a-account or switch the phones for her!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.  Why wouldn't the at&t sales person tell the little old lady the phones are locked?
A.  he/she won't tell the little old lady the truth because he/she would lose the sale.
Just another good example of how at&t rips off unsuspecting people.
And to all you fanboys (and girls) who say at&t has no obligation to divulge this information, I can only hope your mother gets taken by some unscrupulous company like at&t.
Wingrider01 - no response needed,  just keeping you amused.

 



thanks for the thought -

 

again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 

Message 14 of 27

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

 


wireless-user wrote:

Facci wrote:
If a nice old lady walks in and is not from this country, the nice old lady should ask: I'm taking these out of the country, will they work there? So AT&T should ask every person that walks in to buy a phone if they phone is going to be used outside the country?? Besides if she bought them at AT&T, I'm sure they kept trying to get her to either open a new a-account or switch the phones for her!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.  Why wouldn't the at&t sales person tell the little old lady the phones are locked?
A.  he/she won't tell the little old lady the truth because he/she would lose the sale.
Just another good example of how at&t rips off unsuspecting people.
And to all you fanboys (and girls) who say at&t has no obligation to divulge this information, I can only hope your mother gets taken by some unscrupulous company like at&t.
Wingrider01 - no response needed,  just keeping you amused. 

We don't really have complete information here, but that doesn't stop the rabid contrarians from flying off the handle.

 

Did the nice little old lady buy them at the full & contract-free price? Or did she have two lines on her plan eligible for upgrade, buy the 2 phones at $199 (or $299 or $399), and walk out the store? I thought AT&T was supposed to activate all iPhones in the store, but perhaps the nice little old lady said something along the lines of "These are for my grandsons. They'll activate them. They know everything when it comes to these fancy phones", perhaps mentioning or perhaps neglecting to mention that these grandsons were outside the US.

 

Why would it occur to a salesman to say "Hey, by the way, these phones can't be EXPORTED because they won't work on carriers anywhere else!"? And I'm sure the little old lady knew that the iPhone's ECCN, or Export Control Classification Number, was 5A992, and that she complied with all Dept. of Commerce Bureau of Industry & Security Export Administration Regulations (EARs) when she sent this phone, with its cryptologic functions, outside the country (said regulations can be found here (http://www.bis.doc.gov/encryption/nlr.htm). And if she didn't know, I'm sure the saleman regaled her with tales of his knowledge of export restrictions on electronics.

 

 

Message 15 of 27
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support