Wireless Forums

Reply
Posted Jan 21, 2012
10:25:58 AM
View profile
Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

Hi all,

 

I received two Iphone 4s devices as a gift from my aunt. She bought them in the states and brought them to Israel. Here we discovered they were locked to AT&T. I called AT&T and explained that we're now stuck with unusable phones and asked for unlock, but they refused.

 

I think this case is an unfair conduct of business.

1. They should've told my aunt what an unlock phone means, and what are the implications.

2. They should've at least unlock them if they already sold them to someone buying the devices for out of the USA use.

 

:smileymad:

Hi all,

 

I received two Iphone 4s devices as a gift from my aunt. She bought them in the states and brought them to Israel. Here we discovered they were locked to AT&T. I called AT&T and explained that we're now stuck with unusable phones and asked for unlock, but they refused.

 

I think this case is an unfair conduct of business.

1. They should've told my aunt what an unlock phone means, and what are the implications.

2. They should've at least unlock them if they already sold them to someone buying the devices for out of the USA use.

 

:smileymad:

Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

2,706 views
26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Post reply
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(26)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 10:33:27 AM
0
(0)
Expert

prowler1976 wrote:

Hi all,

 

I received two Iphone 4s devices as a gift from my aunt. She bought them in the states and brought them to Israel. Here we discovered they were locked to AT&T. I called AT&T and explained that we're now stuck with unusable phones and asked for unlock, but they refused.

 

I think this case is an unfair conduct of business.

1. They should've told my aunt what an unlock phone means, and what are the implications.

2. They should've at least unlock them if they already sold them to someone buying the devices for out of the USA use.

 

:smileymad:



know the rules before you play the game.

 

ATT does not and will not in the forseeable future unlock the iphone, this is documented in their terms and on their website. If you are within 30 days return them to the point of purchase or put them on fleabay to recoup your loss. Question did you aunt speicifly ask them if the phone would be unlocked, given the melting pot that the country not sure how you assume that the sales person would know that it was not to be used within the US


prowler1976 wrote:

Hi all,

 

I received two Iphone 4s devices as a gift from my aunt. She bought them in the states and brought them to Israel. Here we discovered they were locked to AT&T. I called AT&T and explained that we're now stuck with unusable phones and asked for unlock, but they refused.

 

I think this case is an unfair conduct of business.

1. They should've told my aunt what an unlock phone means, and what are the implications.

2. They should've at least unlock them if they already sold them to someone buying the devices for out of the USA use.

 

:smileymad:



know the rules before you play the game.

 

ATT does not and will not in the forseeable future unlock the iphone, this is documented in their terms and on their website. If you are within 30 days return them to the point of purchase or put them on fleabay to recoup your loss. Question did you aunt speicifly ask them if the phone would be unlocked, given the melting pot that the country not sure how you assume that the sales person would know that it was not to be used within the US

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

2 of 27 (2,705 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 10:42:22 AM
0
(0)
New Member

I'd say this:

 

If a nice old lady comes in and wants to buy the most expensive phone (two of them), and she doesn't choose a plan for either one, at least tell her something about the unlock feature. Ask her what, where, why. Don't expect her to know anything about iphone unlocks and stuff - notify her about the catch.

 

It only seems logical to me.

And still, no reason whatsoever for not unlocking phones that are outside of the USA anyways - its just plain crulty.

 

 

I'd say this:

 

If a nice old lady comes in and wants to buy the most expensive phone (two of them), and she doesn't choose a plan for either one, at least tell her something about the unlock feature. Ask her what, where, why. Don't expect her to know anything about iphone unlocks and stuff - notify her about the catch.

 

It only seems logical to me.

And still, no reason whatsoever for not unlocking phones that are outside of the USA anyways - its just plain crulty.

 

 

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

3 of 27 (2,700 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 11:10:05 AM
0
(0)
Guru

prowler1976 wrote:

I'd say this:

 

If a nice old lady comes in and wants to buy the most expensive phone (two of them), and she doesn't choose a plan for either one, at least tell her something about the unlock feature. Ask her what, where, why. Don't expect her to know anything about iphone unlocks and stuff - notify her about the catch.

 

It only seems logical to me.

And still, no reason whatsoever for not unlocking phones that are outside of the USA anyways - its just plain crulty.

 

 


If a nice old lady comes in a buys two iphones, I would sell them to her and answer any questions she might have. It's none of my business what shes going to do with them, if she wants them she wants them. If I was going to purchase two iphones specifically for the purpose of using abroad, thats the first question I would ask is if I could unlock them to use in another country. If you don't ask, then you'll never know. AT&T will not unlock the iphone, theres no exceptions. I suggest if you are within the return period to return the phones as they will basically be a paperweight in another country without an active AT&T sim card.


prowler1976 wrote:

I'd say this:

 

If a nice old lady comes in and wants to buy the most expensive phone (two of them), and she doesn't choose a plan for either one, at least tell her something about the unlock feature. Ask her what, where, why. Don't expect her to know anything about iphone unlocks and stuff - notify her about the catch.

 

It only seems logical to me.

And still, no reason whatsoever for not unlocking phones that are outside of the USA anyways - its just plain crulty.

 

 


If a nice old lady comes in a buys two iphones, I would sell them to her and answer any questions she might have. It's none of my business what shes going to do with them, if she wants them she wants them. If I was going to purchase two iphones specifically for the purpose of using abroad, thats the first question I would ask is if I could unlock them to use in another country. If you don't ask, then you'll never know. AT&T will not unlock the iphone, theres no exceptions. I suggest if you are within the return period to return the phones as they will basically be a paperweight in another country without an active AT&T sim card.

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

4 of 27 (2,688 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 2:04:58 PM
0
(0)
Master
Change the person who bought the phones, the country you are in and this story is just like many others here. ATT will not unlock that iPHone.

You can state that you do not think it is fair, you can come up with all sorts of reasons why they should and your argument is not new and and the answer is still the same.

You iPhones will not be unlocked. Find out how to return them or sell them on ebay or some other source and get iPhones that meet your needs.

Sorry!
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Change the person who bought the phones, the country you are in and this story is just like many others here. ATT will not unlock that iPHone.

You can state that you do not think it is fair, you can come up with all sorts of reasons why they should and your argument is not new and and the answer is still the same.

You iPhones will not be unlocked. Find out how to return them or sell them on ebay or some other source and get iPhones that meet your needs.

Sorry!
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

5 of 27 (2,628 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2012 4:21:00 PM
0
(0)
Expert

prowler1976 wrote:

I'd say this:

 

If a nice old lady comes in and wants to buy the most expensive phone (two of them), and she doesn't choose a plan for either one, at least tell her something about the unlock feature. Ask her what, where, why. Don't expect her to know anything about iphone unlocks and stuff - notify her about the catch.

 

It only seems logical to me.

And still, no reason whatsoever for not unlocking phones that are outside of the USA anyways - its just plain crulty.

 

 



no it is not "just plain cruelity" - it is company policy nothing more nothing less. Due diligence research before purchase save a lot of after purchase problems


prowler1976 wrote:

I'd say this:

 

If a nice old lady comes in and wants to buy the most expensive phone (two of them), and she doesn't choose a plan for either one, at least tell her something about the unlock feature. Ask her what, where, why. Don't expect her to know anything about iphone unlocks and stuff - notify her about the catch.

 

It only seems logical to me.

And still, no reason whatsoever for not unlocking phones that are outside of the USA anyways - its just plain crulty.

 

 



no it is not "just plain cruelity" - it is company policy nothing more nothing less. Due diligence research before purchase save a lot of after purchase problems

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

6 of 27 (2,603 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 5:49:29 AM
0
(0)
Guru
Or to get this done. give the phones to me so that you will have no problem having a phone that you cannot use :smileyhappy: Joke. Peace :smileytongue:
Or to get this done. give the phones to me so that you will have no problem having a phone that you cannot use :smileyhappy: Joke. Peace :smileytongue:

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

7 of 27 (2,475 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 10:55:10 AM
0
(0)
Guru
If a nice old lady walks in and is not from this country, the nice old lady should ask: I'm taking these out of the country, will they work there? So AT&T should ask every person that walks in to buy a phone if they phone is going to be used outside the country?? Besides if she bought them at AT&T, I'm sure they kept trying to get her to either open a new account or switch the phones for her!

prowler1976 wrote:

I'd say this:

 

If a nice old lady comes in and wants to buy the most expensive phone (two of them), and she doesn't choose a plan for either one, at least tell her something about the unlock feature. Ask her what, where, why. Don't expect her to know anything about iphone unlocks and stuff - notify her about the catch.

 

It only seems logical to me.

And still, no reason whatsoever for not unlocking phones that are outside of the USA anyways - its just plain crulty.

 

 


If a nice old lady walks in and is not from this country, the nice old lady should ask: I'm taking these out of the country, will they work there? So AT&T should ask every person that walks in to buy a phone if they phone is going to be used outside the country?? Besides if she bought them at AT&T, I'm sure they kept trying to get her to either open a new account or switch the phones for her!

prowler1976 wrote:

I'd say this:

 

If a nice old lady comes in and wants to buy the most expensive phone (two of them), and she doesn't choose a plan for either one, at least tell her something about the unlock feature. Ask her what, where, why. Don't expect her to know anything about iphone unlocks and stuff - notify her about the catch.

 

It only seems logical to me.

And still, no reason whatsoever for not unlocking phones that are outside of the USA anyways - its just plain crulty.

 

 


Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

8 of 27 (2,453 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 11:58:12 AM
0
(0)
Master
If AT&T and Apple told everyone everything that only applies to a small portion of the population, people would turn around and walk out because it is too complicated and it most likely does not apply to them.

Carriers are not always above board but consumers need to take responsibility for understanding what they are buying. Especially for something this expensive.

Your grandmother went there to do you a nice favor and you did not fully do your homework.
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
If AT&T and Apple told everyone everything that only applies to a small portion of the population, people would turn around and walk out because it is too complicated and it most likely does not apply to them.

Carriers are not always above board but consumers need to take responsibility for understanding what they are buying. Especially for something this expensive.

Your grandmother went there to do you a nice favor and you did not fully do your homework.
_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

9 of 27 (2,447 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 5:16:14 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

Facci wrote:
If a nice old lady walks in and is not from this country, the nice old lady should ask: I'm taking these out of the country, will they work there? So AT&T should ask every person that walks in to buy a phone if they phone is going to be used outside the country?? Besides if she bought them at AT&T, I'm sure they kept trying to get her to either open a new a-account or switch the phones for her!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.  Why wouldn't the at&t sales person tell the little old lady the phones are locked?
A.  he/she won't tell the little old lady the truth because he/she would lose the sale.
Just another good example of how at&t rips off unsuspecting people.
And to all you fanboys (and girls) who say at&t has no obligation to divulge this information, I can only hope your mother gets taken by some unscrupulous company like at&t.
Wingrider01 - no response needed,  just keeping you amused.

 


Facci wrote:
If a nice old lady walks in and is not from this country, the nice old lady should ask: I'm taking these out of the country, will they work there? So AT&T should ask every person that walks in to buy a phone if they phone is going to be used outside the country?? Besides if she bought them at AT&T, I'm sure they kept trying to get her to either open a new a-account or switch the phones for her!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.  Why wouldn't the at&t sales person tell the little old lady the phones are locked?
A.  he/she won't tell the little old lady the truth because he/she would lose the sale.
Just another good example of how at&t rips off unsuspecting people.
And to all you fanboys (and girls) who say at&t has no obligation to divulge this information, I can only hope your mother gets taken by some unscrupulous company like at&t.
Wingrider01 - no response needed,  just keeping you amused.

 

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

10 of 27 (2,420 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 6:28:29 PM
0
(0)
Professor
The OP never said where the phones were bought from. Were they bought from AT&T or Apple or elsewhere? Were they bought online, or by walking into a store?

People are assuming that she walked into an AT&T store and bought them, and AT&T never mentioned unlocking, but does AT&T even sell no-contract iPhones in their stores?
The OP never said where the phones were bought from. Were they bought from AT&T or Apple or elsewhere? Were they bought online, or by walking into a store?

People are assuming that she walked into an AT&T store and bought them, and AT&T never mentioned unlocking, but does AT&T even sell no-contract iPhones in their stores?

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

11 of 27 (1,994 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2012 6:36:20 PM
0
(0)
Master

dwill05 wrote:
The OP never said where the phones were bought from. Were they bought from AT&T or Apple or elsewhere? Were they bought online, or by walking into a store?

People are assuming that she walked into an AT&T store and bought them, and AT&T never mentioned unlocking, but does AT&T even sell no-contract iPhones in their stores?

I am not sure why ATT would not sell a no-Contract iphone that is locked to their network.  This type of user does not want a contract and ATT should have not problem with that transaction.  

 

Unlocked and without contract iPhones can only be purchased from Apple directly.

_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

dwill05 wrote:
The OP never said where the phones were bought from. Were they bought from AT&T or Apple or elsewhere? Were they bought online, or by walking into a store?

People are assuming that she walked into an AT&T store and bought them, and AT&T never mentioned unlocking, but does AT&T even sell no-contract iPhones in their stores?

I am not sure why ATT would not sell a no-Contract iphone that is locked to their network.  This type of user does not want a contract and ATT should have not problem with that transaction.  

 

Unlocked and without contract iPhones can only be purchased from Apple directly.

_____________________

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

12 of 27 (1,990 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 12:02:04 AM
0
(0)
Guru

Q.  Why wouldn't the at&t sales person tell the little old lady the phones are locked?


A. Because she never asked. Or she never told the salesperson what she was purchasing the phones for. Like he/she can read minds....


Q.  Why wouldn't the at&t sales person tell the little old lady the phones are locked?


A. Because she never asked. Or she never told the salesperson what she was purchasing the phones for. Like he/she can read minds....

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

13 of 27 (1,961 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 3:50:20 AM
0
(0)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

Facci wrote:
If a nice old lady walks in and is not from this country, the nice old lady should ask: I'm taking these out of the country, will they work there? So AT&T should ask every person that walks in to buy a phone if they phone is going to be used outside the country?? Besides if she bought them at AT&T, I'm sure they kept trying to get her to either open a new a-account or switch the phones for her!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.  Why wouldn't the at&t sales person tell the little old lady the phones are locked?
A.  he/she won't tell the little old lady the truth because he/she would lose the sale.
Just another good example of how at&t rips off unsuspecting people.
And to all you fanboys (and girls) who say at&t has no obligation to divulge this information, I can only hope your mother gets taken by some unscrupulous company like at&t.
Wingrider01 - no response needed,  just keeping you amused.

 



thanks for the thought -

 

again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


wireless-user wrote:

Facci wrote:
If a nice old lady walks in and is not from this country, the nice old lady should ask: I'm taking these out of the country, will they work there? So AT&T should ask every person that walks in to buy a phone if they phone is going to be used outside the country?? Besides if she bought them at AT&T, I'm sure they kept trying to get her to either open a new a-account or switch the phones for her!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.  Why wouldn't the at&t sales person tell the little old lady the phones are locked?
A.  he/she won't tell the little old lady the truth because he/she would lose the sale.
Just another good example of how at&t rips off unsuspecting people.
And to all you fanboys (and girls) who say at&t has no obligation to divulge this information, I can only hope your mother gets taken by some unscrupulous company like at&t.
Wingrider01 - no response needed,  just keeping you amused.

 



thanks for the thought -

 

again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

14 of 27 (1,932 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2012 6:24:17 AM
0
(0)
Guru

 


wireless-user wrote:

Facci wrote:
If a nice old lady walks in and is not from this country, the nice old lady should ask: I'm taking these out of the country, will they work there? So AT&T should ask every person that walks in to buy a phone if they phone is going to be used outside the country?? Besides if she bought them at AT&T, I'm sure they kept trying to get her to either open a new a-account or switch the phones for her!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.  Why wouldn't the at&t sales person tell the little old lady the phones are locked?
A.  he/she won't tell the little old lady the truth because he/she would lose the sale.
Just another good example of how at&t rips off unsuspecting people.
And to all you fanboys (and girls) who say at&t has no obligation to divulge this information, I can only hope your mother gets taken by some unscrupulous company like at&t.
Wingrider01 - no response needed,  just keeping you amused. 

We don't really have complete information here, but that doesn't stop the rabid contrarians from flying off the handle.

 

Did the nice little old lady buy them at the full & contract-free price? Or did she have two lines on her plan eligible for upgrade, buy the 2 phones at $199 (or $299 or $399), and walk out the store? I thought AT&T was supposed to activate all iPhones in the store, but perhaps the nice little old lady said something along the lines of "These are for my grandsons. They'll activate them. They know everything when it comes to these fancy phones", perhaps mentioning or perhaps neglecting to mention that these grandsons were outside the US.

 

Why would it occur to a salesman to say "Hey, by the way, these phones can't be EXPORTED because they won't work on carriers anywhere else!"? And I'm sure the little old lady knew that the iPhone's ECCN, or Export Control Classification Number, was 5A992, and that she complied with all Dept. of Commerce Bureau of Industry & Security Export Administration Regulations (EARs) when she sent this phone, with its cryptologic functions, outside the country (said regulations can be found here (http://www.bis.doc.gov/encryption/nlr.htm). And if she didn't know, I'm sure the saleman regaled her with tales of his knowledge of export restrictions on electronics.

 

 

 


wireless-user wrote:

Facci wrote:
If a nice old lady walks in and is not from this country, the nice old lady should ask: I'm taking these out of the country, will they work there? So AT&T should ask every person that walks in to buy a phone if they phone is going to be used outside the country?? Besides if she bought them at AT&T, I'm sure they kept trying to get her to either open a new a-account or switch the phones for her!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q.  Why wouldn't the at&t sales person tell the little old lady the phones are locked?
A.  he/she won't tell the little old lady the truth because he/she would lose the sale.
Just another good example of how at&t rips off unsuspecting people.
And to all you fanboys (and girls) who say at&t has no obligation to divulge this information, I can only hope your mother gets taken by some unscrupulous company like at&t.
Wingrider01 - no response needed,  just keeping you amused. 

We don't really have complete information here, but that doesn't stop the rabid contrarians from flying off the handle.

 

Did the nice little old lady buy them at the full & contract-free price? Or did she have two lines on her plan eligible for upgrade, buy the 2 phones at $199 (or $299 or $399), and walk out the store? I thought AT&T was supposed to activate all iPhones in the store, but perhaps the nice little old lady said something along the lines of "These are for my grandsons. They'll activate them. They know everything when it comes to these fancy phones", perhaps mentioning or perhaps neglecting to mention that these grandsons were outside the US.

 

Why would it occur to a salesman to say "Hey, by the way, these phones can't be EXPORTED because they won't work on carriers anywhere else!"? And I'm sure the little old lady knew that the iPhone's ECCN, or Export Control Classification Number, was 5A992, and that she complied with all Dept. of Commerce Bureau of Industry & Security Export Administration Regulations (EARs) when she sent this phone, with its cryptologic functions, outside the country (said regulations can be found here (http://www.bis.doc.gov/encryption/nlr.htm). And if she didn't know, I'm sure the saleman regaled her with tales of his knowledge of export restrictions on electronics.

 

 

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

15 of 27 (1,909 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 8:30:51 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote: 
Why would it occur to a salesman to say "Hey, by the way, these phones can't be EXPORTED because they won't work on carriers anywhere else!"? And I'm sure the little old lady knew that the iPhone's ECCN, or Export Control Classification Number, was 5A992, and that she complied with all Dept. of Commerce Bureau of Industry & Security Export Administration Regulations (EARs) when she sent this phone, with its cryptologic functions, outside the country (said regulations can be found here (http://www.bis.doc.gov/encryption/nlr.htm). And if she didn't know, I'm sure the saleman regaled her with tales of his knowledge of export restrictions on electronics.

 

 


Thanks for the laugh..

 

Maybe you guys should have a look at Medicare rules and processes and see how many little old ladies (and men) understand the complexity or that program.

 

I volunteer at a senior center helping the elderly understand their Medicare coverage.

 

I can assure you that the complexity of that program equals or exceeds this iPhone nonsense.

 

Expecting anyone other than the techno-nerds on this forum to understand this iPhone locking topic is cause for great laughter,

 

 

 


BadBadLeroyBrown wrote: 
Why would it occur to a salesman to say "Hey, by the way, these phones can't be EXPORTED because they won't work on carriers anywhere else!"? And I'm sure the little old lady knew that the iPhone's ECCN, or Export Control Classification Number, was 5A992, and that she complied with all Dept. of Commerce Bureau of Industry & Security Export Administration Regulations (EARs) when she sent this phone, with its cryptologic functions, outside the country (said regulations can be found here (http://www.bis.doc.gov/encryption/nlr.htm). And if she didn't know, I'm sure the saleman regaled her with tales of his knowledge of export restrictions on electronics.

 

 


Thanks for the laugh..

 

Maybe you guys should have a look at Medicare rules and processes and see how many little old ladies (and men) understand the complexity or that program.

 

I volunteer at a senior center helping the elderly understand their Medicare coverage.

 

I can assure you that the complexity of that program equals or exceeds this iPhone nonsense.

 

Expecting anyone other than the techno-nerds on this forum to understand this iPhone locking topic is cause for great laughter,

 

 

 

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

16 of 27 (1,892 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 8:43:54 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:
again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


So you're saying, the sales person at the at&t store has no obligation to ask an unsuspecting (elderly) customer how they intend to use the handset? The implication of that is the saleperson is in it only for the commission, or thesalesperson doesn't know the issues.

 

My experience at at&t corporate stores is the salepeople are very aware of jailbraking and unlocking. One sales manager went thru his stock of phones to find me one at a down level baseband (before the Apple Factory Unlocked handset was available).  I told the sales rep and the manager what I wanted to do and they understood the issues.

 

Probably not all do understand, but I would think they are aware of the issues because they want to sell the International Data Roaming package.

 

 

 

 


wingrider01 wrote:
again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


So you're saying, the sales person at the at&t store has no obligation to ask an unsuspecting (elderly) customer how they intend to use the handset? The implication of that is the saleperson is in it only for the commission, or thesalesperson doesn't know the issues.

 

My experience at at&t corporate stores is the salepeople are very aware of jailbraking and unlocking. One sales manager went thru his stock of phones to find me one at a down level baseband (before the Apple Factory Unlocked handset was available).  I told the sales rep and the manager what I wanted to do and they understood the issues.

 

Probably not all do understand, but I would think they are aware of the issues because they want to sell the International Data Roaming package.

 

 

 

 

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

17 of 27 (1,888 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2012 8:45:24 AM
0
(0)
Guru

It's great that you volunteer with the elderly, but that has no bearing whatsoever on this discussion. And perhaps you've highlighted a problem in modern American society, where the sophistication of the devices and services we use and the rules surrounding their use (and, in the case of consumer goods, export) exceeds the average American's capacity to understand them. Regardless, this is neither AT&T's fault nor responsibility. Buyers who make uninformed purchases will suffer the consequences of going off half-cocked.

 

 

It's great that you volunteer with the elderly, but that has no bearing whatsoever on this discussion. And perhaps you've highlighted a problem in modern American society, where the sophistication of the devices and services we use and the rules surrounding their use (and, in the case of consumer goods, export) exceeds the average American's capacity to understand them. Regardless, this is neither AT&T's fault nor responsibility. Buyers who make uninformed purchases will suffer the consequences of going off half-cocked.

 

 

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

18 of 27 (1,887 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 9:36:15 AM
0
(0)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


So you're saying, the sales person at the at&t store has no obligation to ask an unsuspecting (elderly) customer how they intend to use the handset? The implication of that is the saleperson is in it only for the commission, or thesalesperson doesn't know the issues.

 

My experience at at&t corporate stores is the salepeople are very aware of jailbraking and unlocking. One sales manager went thru his stock of phones to find me one at a down level baseband (before the Apple Factory Unlocked handset was available).  I told the sales rep and the manager what I wanted to do and they understood the issues.

 

Probably not all do understand, but I would think they are aware of the issues because they want to sell the International Data Roaming package.

 

 

 

 


The difference is YOU volunteered the information, if someone asked me what I was going to use the phones for the reponse would be "to make phone call"

 

You are assuming everything, unless you have documentation to back it up, did not even see in the OP where thye told the sales person that they told them it was for use outside the US, so you are makine assumptions.

 

personally do not know if the "saleperson is in it only for the commission", it never really crossed my mind to violate their privacy and ask them, if they want to volunteer it, fine, if not then so what


wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


So you're saying, the sales person at the at&t store has no obligation to ask an unsuspecting (elderly) customer how they intend to use the handset? The implication of that is the saleperson is in it only for the commission, or thesalesperson doesn't know the issues.

 

My experience at at&t corporate stores is the salepeople are very aware of jailbraking and unlocking. One sales manager went thru his stock of phones to find me one at a down level baseband (before the Apple Factory Unlocked handset was available).  I told the sales rep and the manager what I wanted to do and they understood the issues.

 

Probably not all do understand, but I would think they are aware of the issues because they want to sell the International Data Roaming package.

 

 

 

 


The difference is YOU volunteered the information, if someone asked me what I was going to use the phones for the reponse would be "to make phone call"

 

You are assuming everything, unless you have documentation to back it up, did not even see in the OP where thye told the sales person that they told them it was for use outside the US, so you are makine assumptions.

 

personally do not know if the "saleperson is in it only for the commission", it never really crossed my mind to violate their privacy and ask them, if they want to volunteer it, fine, if not then so what

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

19 of 27 (1,879 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 12:19:54 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


So you're saying, the sales person at the at&t store has no obligation to ask an unsuspecting (elderly) customer how they intend to use the handset? The implication of that is the saleperson is in it only for the commission, or thesalesperson doesn't know the issues.

 

My experience at at&t corporate stores is the salepeople are very aware of jailbraking and unlocking. One sales manager went thru his stock of phones to find me one at a down level baseband (before the Apple Factory Unlocked handset was available).  I told the sales rep and the manager what I wanted to do and they understood the issues.

 

Probably not all do understand, but I would think they are aware of the issues because they want to sell the International Data Roaming package.

 

 

 

 


The difference is YOU volunteered the information, if someone asked me what I was going to use the phones for the reponse would be "to make phone call"

 

You are assuming everything, unless you have documentation to back it up, did not even see in the OP where thye told the sales person that they told them it was for use outside the US, so you are makine assumptions.

 

personally do not know if the "saleperson is in it only for the commission", it never really crossed my mind to violate their privacy and ask them, if they want to volunteer it, fine, if not then so what


Actually, makes no difference whether commission or not,  they do get measured on sales activity, i.e. the more they sell the better chances of retaining employment,  even you would agree with that..

 

Well, in my experience, if you're vague to a sales rep, the rep can not possibly provide a solution which meets your requirements.

 

The only assumption one can possibly make is the sales rep didn't "ask" the little old lady what she was using the handsets for, or maybe he/she did and did not get an answer.

 

At the rate seniors get taken advantage of in this country, I'm guessing a quick sale was seen here.

 

 


wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


So you're saying, the sales person at the at&t store has no obligation to ask an unsuspecting (elderly) customer how they intend to use the handset? The implication of that is the saleperson is in it only for the commission, or thesalesperson doesn't know the issues.

 

My experience at at&t corporate stores is the salepeople are very aware of jailbraking and unlocking. One sales manager went thru his stock of phones to find me one at a down level baseband (before the Apple Factory Unlocked handset was available).  I told the sales rep and the manager what I wanted to do and they understood the issues.

 

Probably not all do understand, but I would think they are aware of the issues because they want to sell the International Data Roaming package.

 

 

 

 


The difference is YOU volunteered the information, if someone asked me what I was going to use the phones for the reponse would be "to make phone call"

 

You are assuming everything, unless you have documentation to back it up, did not even see in the OP where thye told the sales person that they told them it was for use outside the US, so you are makine assumptions.

 

personally do not know if the "saleperson is in it only for the commission", it never really crossed my mind to violate their privacy and ask them, if they want to volunteer it, fine, if not then so what


Actually, makes no difference whether commission or not,  they do get measured on sales activity, i.e. the more they sell the better chances of retaining employment,  even you would agree with that..

 

Well, in my experience, if you're vague to a sales rep, the rep can not possibly provide a solution which meets your requirements.

 

The only assumption one can possibly make is the sales rep didn't "ask" the little old lady what she was using the handsets for, or maybe he/she did and did not get an answer.

 

At the rate seniors get taken advantage of in this country, I'm guessing a quick sale was seen here.

 

 

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

20 of 27 (1,851 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 12:30:13 PM
0
(0)
Employee

1. We don't make any commission on selling phones with no commitment and we don't have any quotas on those as well, so forget the "commission" issue here.

 

2. We're not in business of selling "international" phones, we sell service in United States and phones to go on it. If the customer doesn't ask about international use, I make 100% assumption this phone is buying purchased to be used on AT&T since it's buying purchased at the AT&T store.

1. We don't make any commission on selling phones with no commitment and we don't have any quotas on those as well, so forget the "commission" issue here.

 

2. We're not in business of selling "international" phones, we sell service in United States and phones to go on it. If the customer doesn't ask about international use, I make 100% assumption this phone is buying purchased to be used on AT&T since it's buying purchased at the AT&T store.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

21 of 27 (2,047 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 4:33:08 PM
0
(0)
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


So you're saying, the sales person at the at&t store has no obligation to ask an unsuspecting (elderly) customer how they intend to use the handset? The implication of that is the saleperson is in it only for the commission, or thesalesperson doesn't know the issues.

 

My experience at at&t corporate stores is the salepeople are very aware of jailbraking and unlocking. One sales manager went thru his stock of phones to find me one at a down level baseband (before the Apple Factory Unlocked handset was available).  I told the sales rep and the manager what I wanted to do and they understood the issues.

 

Probably not all do understand, but I would think they are aware of the issues because they want to sell the International Data Roaming package.

 

 

 

 


The difference is YOU volunteered the information, if someone asked me what I was going to use the phones for the reponse would be "to make phone call"

 

You are assuming everything, unless you have documentation to back it up, did not even see in the OP where thye told the sales person that they told them it was for use outside the US, so you are makine assumptions.

 

personally do not know if the "saleperson is in it only for the commission", it never really crossed my mind to violate their privacy and ask them, if they want to volunteer it, fine, if not then so what


Actually, makes no difference whether commission or not,  they do get measured on sales activity, i.e. the more they sell the better chances of retaining employment,  even you would agree with that..

 

Well, in my experience, if you're vague to a sales rep, the rep can not possibly provide a solution which meets your requirements.

 

The only assumption one can possibly make is the sales rep didn't "ask" the little old lady what she was using the handsets for, or maybe he/she did and did not get an answer.

 

At the rate seniors get taken advantage of in this country, I'm guessing a quick sale was seen here.

 

 


the basic point is - unless the information is volunteered, it is none of anybodies business but the person that retains the knowldge.

 

You may assume that, personally I would lean more towards the sale person was respecting the buyers privacy and did not ask invasive questions,

 

 nice assumption, good to see someone jumping at conclusions with no basis in fact or proof


wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


So you're saying, the sales person at the at&t store has no obligation to ask an unsuspecting (elderly) customer how they intend to use the handset? The implication of that is the saleperson is in it only for the commission, or thesalesperson doesn't know the issues.

 

My experience at at&t corporate stores is the salepeople are very aware of jailbraking and unlocking. One sales manager went thru his stock of phones to find me one at a down level baseband (before the Apple Factory Unlocked handset was available).  I told the sales rep and the manager what I wanted to do and they understood the issues.

 

Probably not all do understand, but I would think they are aware of the issues because they want to sell the International Data Roaming package.

 

 

 

 


The difference is YOU volunteered the information, if someone asked me what I was going to use the phones for the reponse would be "to make phone call"

 

You are assuming everything, unless you have documentation to back it up, did not even see in the OP where thye told the sales person that they told them it was for use outside the US, so you are makine assumptions.

 

personally do not know if the "saleperson is in it only for the commission", it never really crossed my mind to violate their privacy and ask them, if they want to volunteer it, fine, if not then so what


Actually, makes no difference whether commission or not,  they do get measured on sales activity, i.e. the more they sell the better chances of retaining employment,  even you would agree with that..

 

Well, in my experience, if you're vague to a sales rep, the rep can not possibly provide a solution which meets your requirements.

 

The only assumption one can possibly make is the sales rep didn't "ask" the little old lady what she was using the handsets for, or maybe he/she did and did not get an answer.

 

At the rate seniors get taken advantage of in this country, I'm guessing a quick sale was seen here.

 

 


the basic point is - unless the information is volunteered, it is none of anybodies business but the person that retains the knowldge.

 

You may assume that, personally I would lean more towards the sale person was respecting the buyers privacy and did not ask invasive questions,

 

 nice assumption, good to see someone jumping at conclusions with no basis in fact or proof

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

22 of 27 (2,014 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2012 8:14:47 PM
0
(0)
Guru

drumn_bass wrote:

1. We don't make any commission on selling phones with no commitment and we don't have any quotas on those as well, so forget the "commission" issue here.

 

2. We're not in business of selling "international" phones, we sell service in United States and phones to go on it. If the customer doesn't ask about international use, I make 100% assumption this phone is buying purchased to be used on AT&T since it's buying purchased at the AT&T store.


pwned this thread! :smileyvery-happy:


drumn_bass wrote:

1. We don't make any commission on selling phones with no commitment and we don't have any quotas on those as well, so forget the "commission" issue here.

 

2. We're not in business of selling "international" phones, we sell service in United States and phones to go on it. If the customer doesn't ask about international use, I make 100% assumption this phone is buying purchased to be used on AT&T since it's buying purchased at the AT&T store.


pwned this thread! :smileyvery-happy:

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

23 of 27 (2,001 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 7:44:16 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

aristizzle wrote:

drumn_bass wrote:

1. We don't make any commission on selling phones with no commitment and we don't have any quotas on those as well, so forget the "commission" issue here.

 

2. We're not in business of selling "international" phones, we sell service in United States and phones to go on it. If the customer doesn't ask about international use, I make 100% assumption this phone is buying purchased to be used on AT&T since it's buying purchased at the AT&T store.


So, you're saying an at&t sales person is straight salary,  and isn't expected to sell to a quota?

 

Where do I get a sales job like that, one with no measurements?

 

Since, as you say,  at&t isn't in the business of selling international phones, then why won't they unlock an iPhone that's out of contract.  You'll unlock every other handset in or out of contract....  My at&t sourced Atrix was unlocked by at&t for the original owner.

 

 


aristizzle wrote:

drumn_bass wrote:

1. We don't make any commission on selling phones with no commitment and we don't have any quotas on those as well, so forget the "commission" issue here.

 

2. We're not in business of selling "international" phones, we sell service in United States and phones to go on it. If the customer doesn't ask about international use, I make 100% assumption this phone is buying purchased to be used on AT&T since it's buying purchased at the AT&T store.


So, you're saying an at&t sales person is straight salary,  and isn't expected to sell to a quota?

 

Where do I get a sales job like that, one with no measurements?

 

Since, as you say,  at&t isn't in the business of selling international phones, then why won't they unlock an iPhone that's out of contract.  You'll unlock every other handset in or out of contract....  My at&t sourced Atrix was unlocked by at&t for the original owner.

 

 

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

24 of 27 (1,956 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 7:45:46 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

 nice assumption, good to see someone jumping at conclusions with no basis in fact or proof



Since when are facts inportant on this forum.  There seems to be a lot of opinions out here...

 

 


wingrider01 wrote:

 nice assumption, good to see someone jumping at conclusions with no basis in fact or proof



Since when are facts inportant on this forum.  There seems to be a lot of opinions out here...

 

 

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

25 of 27 (1,953 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2012 9:55:17 AM
0
(0)
Employee
Edited by drumn_bass on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:09:38 AM

I said: "We don't make any commission on selling phones with no commitment". We're not discussing how we get paid here, I'm just saying that in this case, there is no commissions involved.

 

"Since, as you say,  at&t isn't in the business of selling international phones, then why won't they unlock an iPhone that's out of contract. "

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're asking. I'm not talking about iPhone unlocking at all, I'm commenting on sales reps apparently being blamed for not informing customers about the fact that iPhones are locked and can not be unlocked.

I said: "We don't make any commission on selling phones with no commitment". We're not discussing how we get paid here, I'm just saying that in this case, there is no commissions involved.

 

"Since, as you say,  at&t isn't in the business of selling international phones, then why won't they unlock an iPhone that's out of contract. "

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're asking. I'm not talking about iPhone unlocking at all, I'm commenting on sales reps apparently being blamed for not informing customers about the fact that iPhones are locked and can not be unlocked.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

[ Edited ]
26 of 27 (1,940 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2012 6:22:37 PM
0
(0)
Scholar
Know body knows the real cause why AT&T will not unlock there iPhones
But I've called them twice about it when I had my locked iPhone 4
What I was told " We do not have the codes present They transferred me to apple"
To see if they could help, apple insisted only the networks are viable to carry out unlocking

That's more or less what I was told by apple uk aswell !
Only option on ur gift is to part with it and buy one from ur own location
Everyone knows this!

Get ur relative to visit the uk next time lol she won't be buying iPhones here
At our rrp :smileywink:
Know body knows the real cause why AT&T will not unlock there iPhones
But I've called them twice about it when I had my locked iPhone 4
What I was told " We do not have the codes present They transferred me to apple"
To see if they could help, apple insisted only the networks are viable to carry out unlocking

That's more or less what I was told by apple uk aswell !
Only option on ur gift is to part with it and buy one from ur own location
Everyone knows this!

Get ur relative to visit the uk next time lol she won't be buying iPhones here
At our rrp :smileywink:

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

27 of 27 (1,755 Views)
Share this post
Share this post