Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

Contributor

Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

Hi all,

 

I received two Iphone 4s devices as a gift from my aunt. She bought them in the states and brought them to Israel. Here we discovered they were locked to AT&T. I called AT&T and explained that we're now stuck with unusable phones and asked for unlock, but they refused.

 

I think this case is an unfair conduct of business.

1. They should've told my aunt what an unlock phone means, and what are the implications.

2. They should've at least unlock them if they already sold them to someone buying the devices for out of the USA use.

 

Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 27 (2,852 Views)

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


BadBadLeroyBrown wrote: 
Why would it occur to a salesman to say "Hey, by the way, these phones can't be EXPORTED because they won't work on carriers anywhere else!"? And I'm sure the little old lady knew that the iPhone's ECCN, or Export Control Classification Number, was 5A992, and that she complied with all Dept. of Commerce Bureau of Industry & Security Export Administration Regulations (EARs) when she sent this phone, with its cryptologic functions, outside the country (said regulations can be found here (http://www.bis.doc.gov/encryption/nlr.htm). And if she didn't know, I'm sure the saleman regaled her with tales of his knowledge of export restrictions on electronics.

 

 


Thanks for the laugh..

 

Maybe you guys should have a look at Medicare rules and processes and see how many little old ladies (and men) understand the complexity or that program.

 

I volunteer at a senior center helping the elderly understand their Medicare coverage.

 

I can assure you that the complexity of that program equals or exceeds this iPhone nonsense.

 

Expecting anyone other than the techno-nerds on this forum to understand this iPhone locking topic is cause for great laughter,

 

 

 

Message 16 of 27 (2,036 Views)

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


wingrider01 wrote:
again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


So you're saying, the sales person at the at&t store has no obligation to ask an unsuspecting (elderly) customer how they intend to use the handset? The implication of that is the saleperson is in it only for the commission, or thesalesperson doesn't know the issues.

 

My experience at at&t corporate stores is the salepeople are very aware of jailbraking and unlocking. One sales manager went thru his stock of phones to find me one at a down level baseband (before the Apple Factory Unlocked handset was available).  I told the sales rep and the manager what I wanted to do and they understood the issues.

 

Probably not all do understand, but I would think they are aware of the issues because they want to sell the International Data Roaming package.

 

 

 

 

Message 17 of 27 (2,032 Views)

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

It's great that you volunteer with the elderly, but that has no bearing whatsoever on this discussion. And perhaps you've highlighted a problem in modern American society, where the sophistication of the devices and services we use and the rules surrounding their use (and, in the case of consumer goods, export) exceeds the average American's capacity to understand them. Regardless, this is neither AT&T's fault nor responsibility. Buyers who make uninformed purchases will suffer the consequences of going off half-cocked.

 

 

Message 18 of 27 (2,031 Views)
Expert

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


So you're saying, the sales person at the at&t store has no obligation to ask an unsuspecting (elderly) customer how they intend to use the handset? The implication of that is the saleperson is in it only for the commission, or thesalesperson doesn't know the issues.

 

My experience at at&t corporate stores is the salepeople are very aware of jailbraking and unlocking. One sales manager went thru his stock of phones to find me one at a down level baseband (before the Apple Factory Unlocked handset was available).  I told the sales rep and the manager what I wanted to do and they understood the issues.

 

Probably not all do understand, but I would think they are aware of the issues because they want to sell the International Data Roaming package.

 

 

 

 


The difference is YOU volunteered the information, if someone asked me what I was going to use the phones for the reponse would be "to make phone call"

 

You are assuming everything, unless you have documentation to back it up, did not even see in the OP where thye told the sales person that they told them it was for use outside the US, so you are makine assumptions.

 

personally do not know if the "saleperson is in it only for the commission", it never really crossed my mind to violate their privacy and ask them, if they want to volunteer it, fine, if not then so what

Message 19 of 27 (2,023 Views)

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


So you're saying, the sales person at the at&t store has no obligation to ask an unsuspecting (elderly) customer how they intend to use the handset? The implication of that is the saleperson is in it only for the commission, or thesalesperson doesn't know the issues.

 

My experience at at&t corporate stores is the salepeople are very aware of jailbraking and unlocking. One sales manager went thru his stock of phones to find me one at a down level baseband (before the Apple Factory Unlocked handset was available).  I told the sales rep and the manager what I wanted to do and they understood the issues.

 

Probably not all do understand, but I would think they are aware of the issues because they want to sell the International Data Roaming package.

 

 

 

 


The difference is YOU volunteered the information, if someone asked me what I was going to use the phones for the reponse would be "to make phone call"

 

You are assuming everything, unless you have documentation to back it up, did not even see in the OP where thye told the sales person that they told them it was for use outside the US, so you are makine assumptions.

 

personally do not know if the "saleperson is in it only for the commission", it never really crossed my mind to violate their privacy and ask them, if they want to volunteer it, fine, if not then so what


Actually, makes no difference whether commission or not,  they do get measured on sales activity, i.e. the more they sell the better chances of retaining employment,  even you would agree with that..

 

Well, in my experience, if you're vague to a sales rep, the rep can not possibly provide a solution which meets your requirements.

 

The only assumption one can possibly make is the sales rep didn't "ask" the little old lady what she was using the handsets for, or maybe he/she did and did not get an answer.

 

At the rate seniors get taken advantage of in this country, I'm guessing a quick sale was seen here.

 

 

Message 20 of 27 (1,995 Views)
Former Employee

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

1. We don't make any commission on selling phones with no commitment and we don't have any quotas on those as well, so forget the "commission" issue here.

 

2. We're not in business of selling "international" phones, we sell service in United States and phones to go on it. If the customer doesn't ask about international use, I make 100% assumption this phone is buying purchased to be used on AT&T since it's buying purchased at the AT&T store.

Message 21 of 27 (2,191 Views)
Expert

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
again, if the question is not asked by the purchaser then how can saleperson in any retail industry know that that they need to supply an answer, not sure what retail outlets you do business with but have never seen any application for retail sales that asked the question - "Are you Clairvoyant so you can answer and unasked questions or those that the prospective purchaser has not thought of before you close the sale"

 

 


So you're saying, the sales person at the at&t store has no obligation to ask an unsuspecting (elderly) customer how they intend to use the handset? The implication of that is the saleperson is in it only for the commission, or thesalesperson doesn't know the issues.

 

My experience at at&t corporate stores is the salepeople are very aware of jailbraking and unlocking. One sales manager went thru his stock of phones to find me one at a down level baseband (before the Apple Factory Unlocked handset was available).  I told the sales rep and the manager what I wanted to do and they understood the issues.

 

Probably not all do understand, but I would think they are aware of the issues because they want to sell the International Data Roaming package.

 

 

 

 


The difference is YOU volunteered the information, if someone asked me what I was going to use the phones for the reponse would be "to make phone call"

 

You are assuming everything, unless you have documentation to back it up, did not even see in the OP where thye told the sales person that they told them it was for use outside the US, so you are makine assumptions.

 

personally do not know if the "saleperson is in it only for the commission", it never really crossed my mind to violate their privacy and ask them, if they want to volunteer it, fine, if not then so what


Actually, makes no difference whether commission or not,  they do get measured on sales activity, i.e. the more they sell the better chances of retaining employment,  even you would agree with that..

 

Well, in my experience, if you're vague to a sales rep, the rep can not possibly provide a solution which meets your requirements.

 

The only assumption one can possibly make is the sales rep didn't "ask" the little old lady what she was using the handsets for, or maybe he/she did and did not get an answer.

 

At the rate seniors get taken advantage of in this country, I'm guessing a quick sale was seen here.

 

 


the basic point is - unless the information is volunteered, it is none of anybodies business but the person that retains the knowldge.

 

You may assume that, personally I would lean more towards the sale person was respecting the buyers privacy and did not ask invasive questions,

 

 nice assumption, good to see someone jumping at conclusions with no basis in fact or proof

Message 22 of 27 (2,158 Views)

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


drumn_bass wrote:

1. We don't make any commission on selling phones with no commitment and we don't have any quotas on those as well, so forget the "commission" issue here.

 

2. We're not in business of selling "international" phones, we sell service in United States and phones to go on it. If the customer doesn't ask about international use, I make 100% assumption this phone is buying purchased to be used on AT&T since it's buying purchased at the AT&T store.


pwned this thread! Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 27 (2,145 Views)

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


aristizzle wrote:

drumn_bass wrote:

1. We don't make any commission on selling phones with no commitment and we don't have any quotas on those as well, so forget the "commission" issue here.

 

2. We're not in business of selling "international" phones, we sell service in United States and phones to go on it. If the customer doesn't ask about international use, I make 100% assumption this phone is buying purchased to be used on AT&T since it's buying purchased at the AT&T store.


So, you're saying an at&t sales person is straight salary,  and isn't expected to sell to a quota?

 

Where do I get a sales job like that, one with no measurements?

 

Since, as you say,  at&t isn't in the business of selling international phones, then why won't they unlock an iPhone that's out of contract.  You'll unlock every other handset in or out of contract....  My at&t sourced Atrix was unlocked by at&t for the original owner.

 

 

Message 24 of 27 (2,100 Views)

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA


wingrider01 wrote:

 nice assumption, good to see someone jumping at conclusions with no basis in fact or proof



Since when are facts inportant on this forum.  There seems to be a lot of opinions out here...

 

 

Message 25 of 27 (2,097 Views)
Former Employee

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

[ Edited ]

I said: "We don't make any commission on selling phones with no commitment". We're not discussing how we get paid here, I'm just saying that in this case, there is no commissions involved.

 

"Since, as you say,  at&t isn't in the business of selling international phones, then why won't they unlock an iPhone that's out of contract. "

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're asking. I'm not talking about iPhone unlocking at all, I'm commenting on sales reps apparently being blamed for not informing customers about the fact that iPhones are locked and can not be unlocked.

Message 26 of 27 (2,084 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Iphone 4s unlock for use outside of USA

Know body knows the real cause why AT&T will not unlock there iPhones
But I've called them twice about it when I had my locked iPhone 4
What I was told " We do not have the codes present They transferred me to apple"
To see if they could help, apple insisted only the networks are viable to carry out unlocking

That's more or less what I was told by apple uk aswell !
Only option on ur gift is to part with it and buy one from ur own location
Everyone knows this!

Get ur relative to visit the uk next time lol she won't be buying iPhones here
At our rrp Smiley Wink
Message 27 of 27 (1,899 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.