Ask a question

Posted Mar 17, 2011
    11:02:49 PM
    View profile
    Iphone 4G unlock

I have received for my birthday a new Iphone 4G buy from an apple store, it cost 600$, I'm living in New Caledonia where AT&T doesn't offer services. Is there anybody who knows how I can do to unlock my iphone to us the local operator.

thank you

Iphone 4G unlock

14 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (14)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 18, 2011 3:03:15 AM
    (0)
    Professor

Please search the forums.  US iPhones will not be unlocked by either AT&T or Apple.  It doesn't matter what price you paid, or whether you have a contract or not.  Your options are to sell it and get one that works in your country, or get it unlocked yourself.

Re: Iphone 4G unlock

2 of 15 (2,617 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 18, 2011 6:16:08 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

massmanta wrote:

I have received for my birthday a new Iphone 4G buy from an apple store, it cost 600$, I'm living in New Caledonia where AT&T doesn't offer services. Is there anybody who knows how I can do to unlock my iphone to us the local operator.

thank you

Quickly return the US Carrier Locked to AT&T for LIFE iPhone before 30 days have past, and then look into purchasing a carrier-unlocked iPhone, which will cost a bit more than $600. Perhaps one from the UK or Canada.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 15 (2,594 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 18, 2011 6:53:07 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Results have been mixed but have you considered installing a MicroCell?

4 of 15 (2,583 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 18, 2011 9:15:57 AM
    (0)
    Master

bkmjk wrote:

Results have been mixed but have you considered installing a MicroCell?

Won't work if they are not in the US.

5 of 15 (2,554 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 18, 2011 12:45:55 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Planet-Ed wrote:

I didn't realize that.  I guess that would explain the whole reason they have a GPS system in them.  Thanks.

6 of 15 (2,519 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 18, 2011 12:52:18 PM
    (0)
    Employee

bkmjk wrote:

Planet-Ed wrote:

I didn't realize that.  I guess that would explain the whole reason they have a GPS system in them.  Thanks.

Even if it did work, regardless of where you place the microcell you still have to be in range of the microcell to use it meaning you'd be pretty limited as to where you could use the phone. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a cell phone.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 15 (2,511 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 19, 2011 2:09:49 AM
    (0)
    Contributor
    I have no contract with at&t

8 of 15 (2,447 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 19, 2011 3:36:44 AM
    (0)
    Professor

It doesn't matter.  AT&T and Apple do not unlock US iPhones, period.

9 of 15 (2,432 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 19, 2011 8:12:13 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

The US really has it bad when i comes to cell phones.  In the UK you can buy a unlocked iphone directly from Apple's website. Additionally only the cell phone making the call uses/is charged minutes.  In the UK the receiver of a call is never charged whether they are on contract or pay as you go.

10 of 15 (2,362 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 19, 2011 9:16:14 PM
    (0)
    Expert

malik007 wrote:

The US really has it bad when i comes to cell phones.  In the UK you can buy a unlocked iphone directly from Apple's website. Additionally only the cell phone making the call uses/is charged minutes.  In the UK the receiver of a call is never charged whether they are on contract or pay as you go.

Our terms are still better than them so I will stick with what we have.

11 of 15 (1,251 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 20, 2011 8:15:09 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

malik007 wrote:

Not all US cell phone carriers charge the same way  I believe that one of the smaller carriers still only charges for outgoing calls.  While we may get the shaft on the voice calls, and SMS charges, it has only been recenty that we have gotten the metered data usage charges, that much of the rest of the world has known well for some time.

Jerry B.
    "GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Jerry B.
    "GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

12 of 15 (1,202 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 20, 2011 8:43:20 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

>Our terms are still better than them so I will stick with what we have.

What terms are you refering to?

13 of 15 (1,192 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 20, 2011 8:57:00 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by malik007 on Mar 20, 2011 at 9:01:33 PM

>Not all US cell phone carriers charge the same way  I believe that one of the smaller carriers still only charges for outgoing calls. 

1 small carrier with no coverage that no one uses.  All the carriers in the UK do this as standard.

>While we may get the shaft on the voice calls, and SMS charges, it has only been recenty that we have gotten the metered data usage charges, that much of the rest of the world has known well for some time.

But it is now metered.  You can get unmetered in the UK if you want it, but most plans typically come with 500Mb.

[ Edited ]
    14 of 15 (1,182 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Mar 20, 2011 9:17:25 PM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by Sheik HF1 on Mar 20, 2011 at 9:21:23 PM

In IE 9 one can not seem to post as it erases after submitting.  So Safari it is.

What I said I prefer our plans over theirs.  We get M2M, N&W and calls made from landlines to cell don't cost extra.  It is not only me who sees it but actual UK people see it too that we have it better over here (they have services here and the UK and they speak out of real life experience)

[ Edited ]
    15 of 15 (1,169 Views)