Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 7, 2010
12:12:43 AM
Iphone 4: weird buzz sound with turned off 3G
Edited by collegeboi87 on Sep 7, 2010 at 12:22:32 AM

I live in an area where 2G is stronger than 3G (I seem to get 1 more bar when I turn off 3G). However, once I do that I get a weird buzz sound (like there was a static interference). Its the same kind of sound you here from computer speakers when you place a phone near them. But I tested it away from potential interference sources. Once I turned on 3G, the voice was clean and there was no more buzz sound!

I hear those sounds on low when I put the phone to my head. When I  use the speakerphone I hear no static sounds.

I had Blackberry Curve 8310 before with ATT that did calls on 2G only and never had this issue. 

I am using phone without case waiting for a free one in the mail, but I don't hold the bottom and it still does that. 

Should I take it to Apple Store and diagnose it? Did you have the same problem?

I live in an area where 2G is stronger than 3G (I seem to get 1 more bar when I turn off 3G). However, once I do that I get a weird buzz sound (like there was a static interference). Its the same kind of sound you here from computer speakers when you place a phone near them. But I tested it away from potential interference sources. Once I turned on 3G, the voice was clean and there was no more buzz sound!

I hear those sounds on low when I put the phone to my head. When I  use the speakerphone I hear no static sounds.

I had Blackberry Curve 8310 before with ATT that did calls on 2G only and never had this issue. 

I am using phone without case waiting for a free one in the mail, but I don't hold the bottom and it still does that. 

Iphone 4: weird buzz sound with turned off 3G

[ Edited ]
5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 1:22:38 PM
(0)
Master

collegeboi87 wrote:

Yes, you should call Apple, and make an appointment with them to look at your phone. I have not had this issue with the 2 iPhones that I have.......

collegeboi87 wrote:

Yes, you should call Apple, and make an appointment with them to look at your phone. I have not had this issue with the 2 iPhones that I have.......

Re: Iphone 4: weird buzz sound with turned off 3G

2 of 6 (1,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 9:29:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

I checked the phone in more places and I noticed that this buzz (static noise) happens only in certain places. In places where I had constant 5 bars while talking the sound was clear. When I checked this orgininally and got this noise this was in area where I have 3 bars.

However, still with Blackberry even with 2 bars or only 1 I had no such thing.

Either all iPhones have this bug or my model is particulary defective but it shouldn't be.

I checked the phone in more places and I noticed that this buzz (static noise) happens only in certain places. In places where I had constant 5 bars while talking the sound was clear. When I checked this orgininally and got this noise this was in area where I have 3 bars.

However, still with Blackberry even with 2 bars or only 1 I had no such thing.

Either all iPhones have this bug or my model is particulary defective but it shouldn't be.

3 of 6 (1,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2010 3:42:32 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by collegeboi87 on Sep 10, 2010 at 3:42:53 PM

I talked to some experts and they told me this is common problem with gsm phones that have unshielded speakerphone. 

So that means Iphone 4s have not well shielded internal spearkphones ? 

I talked to some experts and they told me this is common problem with gsm phones that have unshielded speakerphone. 

So that means Iphone 4s have not well shielded internal spearkphones ? 

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (1,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 2:41:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

im having the same problem too!!

i hear statics when 3G is turned off

but when it's turned on i dunt hear it and sounds are clear.

Should i go to an apple shop and get it checked?

What happened to ur's??

im having the same problem too!!

i hear statics when 3G is turned off

but when it's turned on i dunt hear it and sounds are clear.

Should i go to an apple shop and get it checked?

What happened to ur's??

5 of 6 (1,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 2:45:58 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Oct 4, 2010 at 2:51:29 AM

The 2G noise is natural. The noise generated is interference with audio devices. Most audio speakers (whether it's your telephone, computer speakers or your evac alarm system in the building) pick up the pulse generated by 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz EDGE GSM frequencies.

Only audio devices specific to shielding out the frequencies won't pick up the noise. But it's natural to hear that noise.

The pulse noise has been that way since iPhone 2G/3G. My old 3G kept making static noises on my desk phones and evac alarm system when it lost 3G. Only services available were E or No Service.

The 2G noise is natural. The noise generated is interference with audio devices. Most audio speakers (whether it's your telephone, computer speakers or your evac alarm system in the building) pick up the pulse generated by 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz EDGE GSM frequencies.

Only audio devices specific to shielding out the frequencies won't pick up the noise. But it's natural to hear that noise.

The pulse noise has been that way since iPhone 2G/3G. My old 3G kept making static noises on my desk phones and evac alarm system when it lost 3G. Only services available were E or No Service.

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (1,012 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments