Iphone 4 simlock

Contributor

Iphone 4 simlock

Hello, im from belgium and i buyed a iphone 4 from somone else, but when i updated the software to 5.0.1 it said it was locked because i need the correct sim to unlock it for all networks. I know that this iphone is from north america because of the IMEI code, can you guys of at&t help me or explain it ? Thnks for reading, Jason
Message 1 of 28 (7,232 Views)
Contributor

Re: Iphone 4 simlock

[ Edited ]

Johninsj ! {please keep it courteous}

i am a victim of this {word filter evasion} i bought an 'unlocked' phone from a reseller in the US only to have is relock to ATT! 

how dare you promote this!

Message 16 of 28 (6,035 Views)
Professor

Real factory unlocked phones don't lock to AT&T. People who buy "unlocked" phones off of eBay or from some "reseller" in the US are usually buying hacked phones that will relock if you try and update the software. That's not the responsibility of AT&T or Apple, it's the responsibility of the person buying the phone to know what they are buying.

Only Apple sells factory unlocked iPhones in the US. If you buy an "unlocked" iPhone from any other source in the US, you should view it with suspicion unless the seller can provide sufficient proof that it is a real factory unlocked phone that was originally sold by Apple as unlocked.
Message 17 of 28 (6,028 Views)
Expert

Loginname0101 wrote:

Johninsj ! {please keep it courteous}

i am a victim of this {word filter evasion} i bought an 'unlocked' phone from a reseller in the US only to have is relock to ATT! 

how dare you promote this!

If the phone was not purcahsed directly from Apple for full retail cost chances are you bought a hacked phone from the reseller, when you upgraded the IOS the hack was removed and the phone was relocked to the carrier. The reseller was the on promoting this not the carrier or apple. Apple unlocked phone do not relock to att when you upgrade them, only hacked ones do

Message 18 of 28 (6,019 Views)
Contributor

I  am in the Netherlands and have thejchance tojbuy a phone cheaply.Not an exUS phone and  the seller says thec ontract is shortly expired and it can then be unlocked.Is this  the cas?

Message 19 of 28 (5,785 Views)
Professor

A locked US iPhone will not be unlocked, even after the contract is expired. Other countries iPhones, I don't know.
Message 20 of 28 (5,773 Views)
Contributor

Thanks,I understand that,but it's NOT a US phone

Message 21 of 28 (5,869 Views)
Professor

Well, this is a forum for US iphones, so maybe this isn't the best place to ask about non-US iphones and the unlocking policies of companies other than US AT&T.
Message 22 of 28 (5,860 Views)
ACE - Professor

MacFadyin wrote:

I  am in the Netherlands and have thejchance tojbuy a phone cheaply.Not an exUS phone and  the seller says thec ontract is shortly expired and it can then be unlocked.Is this  the cas?

So, yes, this is an form for the US AT&T iPhone. We're all US people, with US phones, here in the US. I don't know much about carriers in other countries, but here's what I would suggest

Have the seller unlock the phone.

Verify the phone is unlocked before you buy it, by personally seeing it work with the sim of your choice. If you can't verify beforehand, don't buy it.

That would be safe in any country, for any iPhone Smiley Wink

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 23 of 28 (5,838 Views)
Contributor

My apologies for intruding. I didn't see anything in the name about this being a site solely for UIS citizens

Message 24 of 28 (5,835 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

MacFadyin wrote:

My apologies for intruding. I didn't see anything in the name about this being a site solely for UIS citizens

It is not, but it does not change the simple fact that no Iphone from att will be unlocked. The only avaialable GSM Ihpne is available only from apple and it is sold at full retail price, no subsidy.

for now and the forseeable future the att iphone is locked to a single carrier - att

If you phone is setup to work on any other carrier you need to contact that carrier, att cannot help.

Message 25 of 28 (5,830 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

MacFadyin wrote:

It isn't.  However, all you say is that it's not a US iPhone and you jumped into a thread that deals with unlocking US iPhones.  The majority of people here are only familiar with US iPhones and AT&T and Apple's policies in the US.  And for those who might be familiar with outside US iPhones and might be able to answer your question, you don't mention the carrier or country (other than where  you are, but is that where you are getting the phone from?) so I'm not sure you're going to get much help with such a vague question.  I'm just saying.....

Message 26 of 28 (5,821 Views)
Master

MacFadyin wrote:

I would direct your question to a board that is related to the country of orignin for your iPhone.  All we would know if what we would look up for that country.

ATT is one of the US carriers selling iPHones.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 27 of 28 (5,818 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

MacFadyin wrote:

att.com is a US carrier - near as I can tell, they only sell iPhones in the US. Smiley Happy

However, we did answer your question a few times over. You deal with your local carrier, and they set the rules.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 28 of 28 (5,799 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.