Iphone 4 simlock

Contributor

Iphone 4 simlock

Hello, im from belgium and i buyed a iphone 4 from somone else, but when i updated the software to 5.0.1 it said it was locked because i need the correct sim to unlock it for all networks. I know that this iphone is from north america because of the IMEI code, can you guys of at&t help me or explain it ? Thnks for reading, Jason
Message 1 of 28

Re: Iphone 4 simlock

As far as i know, apple just started selling unlock iPhones and att doesnt unlock any iphones. if the sim is lock there is no way to unlock it. sorry..
Message 2 of 28
Professor

You don't have a factory unlocked phone. You bought a phone that someone else unlocked on their own using third-party software. Unfortunately updating the software on phones that were unlocked like this will relock them back to AT&T. There is nothing officially that can be done at this point. Neither Apple or AT&T will unlock a US iPhone that was originally sold as locked. Unless you can find a third party solution that unlocks an iOS 5.0.1 phone, you now have a phone that will only work with a valid US AT&T SIM card.
Message 3 of 28
ACE - Professor

Jasoneke wrote:
Hello, im from belgium and i buyed a iphone 4 from somone else, but when i updated the software to 5.0.1 it said it was locked because i need the correct sim to unlock it for all networks. I know that this iphone is from north america because of the IMEI code, can you guys of at&t help me or explain it ? Thnks for reading, Jason

Find the someone else, hand them back their phone, and get your money back.

You can buy the iPhone 4s unlocked, from Apple only. AT&T will never unlock a phone that was sold locked to AT&T.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 28
Contributor

johninsj wrote:

Jasoneke wrote:

Find the someone else, hand them back their phone, and get your money back.

You can buy the iPhone 4s unlocked, from Apple only. AT&T will never unlock a phone that was sold locked to AT&T.

Even if the contract is over, they won't unlock the iPhone? If that's the case then what should we do with the iPhone after the contract expired?

Message 5 of 28
Professor

No, they won't unlock a locked phone, even after the contract is over.  Plenty of threads about that here.  What do you do after the contract is over?  Well, you can keep using it, unlock it yourself, trade it in on a new phone from some place that takes trades, give it to a charity that collect used cell phones for people in need, or give or sell it to someone else and let them either use it with AT&T or unlock it themselves.  Plenty of options for a used phone.

Message 6 of 28

The best solution is give it to me Smiley Happy. hehehe
Message 7 of 28
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Rukia2005 wrote:

Even if the contract is over, they won't unlock the iPhone? If that's the case then what should we do with the iPhone after the contract expired?

This has been covered and covered and covered here in this forum, and in the news.

There are two types of iPhone sold in the US (other countries may vary)

1) AT&T locked phones (with or without a plan, doesn't matter) are ALWAYS and FOREVER locked to AT&T. Apple nor AT&T will ever unlock these phones. Every phone before the iPhone 4s was sold this way in the US, so NEVER buy a US "unlocked" phone unless it is an iPhone 4s. INSIST on seeing the box the phone shipped in. On the back it will NOT say "REQUIRES Service with AT&T"

2) iPhone 4s phones sold ONLY from Apple, unlocked, at full price. Note, still check the box to make sure the back does not have the "requres AT&T service" notice on it.

After your contract is up, for a simlocked phone, you are free to continue using the phone on AT&T, or give the phone to someone else to use on AT&T, or sell the phone to someone else to use on AT&T. No matter what, the common element is always "to use on AT&T".

Or, you can jailbreak the phone, and in some cases unlock the baseband, and then sell the phone to someone in another country, misrepresenting it as an unlocked phone. Then, the next time they update the OS, they will find out they were sold a locked device (since it with relock, or worse will brick), and they'll be stuck with your phone.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 28
Professor

johninsj wrote:

Rukia2005 wrote:

1) AT&T locked phones (with or without a plan, doesn't matter) are ALWAYS and FOREVER locked to AT&T. Apple nor AT&T will ever unlock these phones. Every phone before the iPhone 4s was sold this way in the US, so NEVER buy a US "unlocked" phone unless it is an iPhone 4s. INSIST on seeing the box the phone shipped in. On the back it will NOT say "REQUIRES Service with AT&T"

2) iPhone 4s phones sold ONLY from Apple, unlocked, at full price. Note, still check the box to make sure the back does not have the "requres AT&T service" notice on it.

The iPhone 4S boxes do not say anything about AT&T on them, locked or not.  I have a 4S that I bought from AT&T which I'm very sure is locked, and the rear of the box has no mention of AT&T whatsoever either by name or logo.  The iPhone 4 boxes did specifically mention AT&T as well as have their logo, but the 4S boxes do not, so you need to stop telling people this.

Message 9 of 28
ACE - Professor

Can you post a photo of the back of the box? Because specifically the legal reason they are able to NOT unlock phones is because they are marked on the box as locked.

Message 10 of 28
Expert

johninsj wrote:

Can you post a photo of the back of the box? Because specifically the legal reason they are able to NOT unlock phones is because they are marked on the box as locked.

there is NO legal reason - unlocking is not mandated by any law in the US ergo what is printed on the box has no bearing, unless you can point out the law that staed phones must be unlocked

Message 11 of 28
ACE - Expert

Number 1 on the back of my 4S box.
"This iPhone is subject to your wireless service provider's policy, which may include restrictions on switching service providers and roaming, even after conclusion of any required minimum service contract."
Pretty much says phone is locked to AT&T.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Message 12 of 28
ACE - Professor

kdfederer wrote:
Number 1 on the back of my 4S box.
"This iPhone is subject to your wireless service provider's policy, which may include restrictions on switching service providers and roaming, even after conclusion of any required minimum service contract."
Pretty much says phone is locked to AT&T.

THANK YOU. They changed the wording to be more broad, since other carriers may carry the iPhone4s now. But indeed it does say the same thing.

Now, if someone has a carrier unlocked 4s, it would, to make things totally clear, be fun to see if that clause isn't present.

Mods: please note, this is on topic, since the topic concerns how to purchase an iPhone 4s and be sure you have a carrier unlocked version.

Message 13 of 28
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

Rukia2005 wrote:

This has been covered and covered and covered here in this forum, and in the news.

There are two types of iPhone sold in the US (other countries may vary)

After your contract is up, for a simlocked phone, you are free to continue using the phone on AT&T, or give the phone to someone else to use on AT&T, or sell the phone to someone else to use on AT&T. No matter what, the common element is always "to use on AT&T".

Or, you can jailbreak the phone, and in some cases unlock the baseband, and then sell the phone to someone in another country, misrepresenting it as an unlocked phone. Then, the next time they update the OS, they will find out they were sold a locked device (since it with relock, or worse will brick), and they'll be stuck with your phone.

The iPhone 4 was also sold unlocked by Apple. Started,  I think, sometime in 3rd quarter. Again only sold unlocked by Apple at an Apple store, so there could be a legally unlocked USA iPhone 4.

Message 14 of 28
ACE - Professor

Yes, it can be.

The phone can be used by anyone, on AT&T.

Message 15 of 28
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support