Ask a question

Posted Oct 12, 2011
    6:48:57 PM
    Iphone 4 sim card to iphone 4s

I have an iphone 4 just wondering if I will be able to just put the sim card from the 4 into the the 4s. Or will have to activate it with the sim card that will be coming with the 4s

Iphone 4 sim card to iphone 4s

11 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (11)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 15, 2011 8:56:09 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

I'm wondering the same thing.  I just swapped my iphone 4 sim to my 4s and my wife's and I restored from icloud and everything has been working fine.  I just wonder if there is a reason that I should swap to the other sim.  The only thing that sucks is that my old plan had a 200 message text package that wasn't available when I upgraded to the 4S so if I keep my old sim in and not activate maybe I can keep my old text package?

Re: Iphone 4 sim card to iphone 4s

2 of 12 (10,680 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 15, 2011 9:07:36 PM
    (0)
    Master

Just activate the new iPhone with the new SIM.  

To the other poster, I am not sure how you saved your SMS messages to your SIM as that is not an option I have seen on the iPhones?  From my experience the SIM does not have much on it so you do not loose anything by going to a new one when you go from iphone to iphone.  This is not the case if you are coming from a differnet phone that does allow you to save stuff to the SIM in which case, get the information off before upgrading.  I use Phoneview on my Mac  to get to information not normally visable on an iphone.  

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
    Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
    Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 12 (10,675 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 15, 2011 10:37:11 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

This is a little off topic but say I get the iphone 4s(if it ever ships lol). Is there a way to still use my iphone 3gs for more risky adventures like going to the beach or concerts? stuff like that where the phone might get damaged? Before I would just slip my 3gs sim card into a go phone and that worked nice but I figure since I have this 3gs I could use that as my accident/gophone will this be possible?

4 of 12 (10,656 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 15, 2011 11:24:44 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

The SIM for the 4/4S is smaller than the 3GS, so sorry, you're out of luck. 

5 of 12 (10,650 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 16, 2011 12:47:29 PM
    (0)
    Master

HigginsRandalR wrote:

This is a little off topic but say I get the iphone 4s(if it ever ships lol). Is there a way to still use my iphone 3gs for more risky adventures like going to the beach or concerts? stuff like that where the phone might get damaged? Before I would just slip my 3gs sim card into a go phone and that worked nice but I figure since I have this 3gs I could use that as my accident/gophone will this be possible?

I would suggest looking at the Otterbox Defender cases for those riskier times.  That is what I do.  Buy from Amazon and save your self some $

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
    Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

6 of 12 (10,616 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 16, 2011 1:57:33 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    I'll second the otterbox for the times you think you might have a problem. I just don't like the otterbox for everyday use because it's do bulky.

7 of 12 (10,602 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 16, 2011 3:59:46 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Take a look at lifeproof cases they are more than an otterbox but they offer water protection.

8 of 12 (10,587 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 16, 2011 9:21:34 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

koolzero wrote:

I'm wondering the same thing.  I just swapped my iphone 4 sim to my 4s and my wife's and I restored from icloud and everything has been working fine.  I just wonder if there is a reason that I should swap to the other sim.  The only thing that sucks is that my old plan had a 200 message text package that wasn't available when I upgraded to the 4S so if I keep my old sim in and not activate maybe I can keep my old text package?

If you were unable to keep your existing $5 200 SMS Txt plan when you preordered. Please send an emial to this address and they should be able to fix your problem: customerfollowup@att.com

You can also get this fixed by calling  Customer Care, if the rep is unable to make the change after reviewing your account just ask them to request and override from a Manager to return your SMS Txt plan that was lost in the pre-order.

Dave

9 of 12 (10,555 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 16, 2011 9:35:12 PM
    (0)
    Master
    I stopped into an ATT store after upgrading my wife's line and it only took a few minutes to change back. I think Apple does not have all of the upgrade options for the various plans that are grandfathered in and that is why plans are getting changed inadvertently.

10 of 12 (10,549 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 17, 2011 6:53:11 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

and this is precisely the reason why I wanted to pre-order (or purchase) my iPhone 4s from an AT&T retail store. i didn't want to lose my unlimited data or my $5/200 messages texting plan. 

11 of 12 (9,788 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 17, 2011 11:02:08 AM
    (0)
    Master

mom2boys77 wrote:

and this is precisely the reason why I wanted to pre-order (or purchase) my iPhone 4s from an AT&T retail store. i didn't want to lose my unlimited data or my $5/200 messages texting plan. 

Given that my Apple store had inventory of the model I wanted for my wife, the issue was not that big of a deal.  It cost me 15 extra minutes of my time and not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.....  I would also rather buy from my Apple store as they provide all support and I want to be seen buying from them as they provide support and I want them to do the most for me that they can when I need help.....

12 of 12 (9,771 Views)