Wireless Forums

Posted Jul 16, 2010
9:27:31 AM
Iphone 4 shows up as a camera when connected to PC

When I connect my Iphone 4 to my my PC to sync, it shows up as a camera, and I am unable to drag and drop files (ringtones etc), how do I get the phone to show up as a device other than a camera?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

When I connect my Iphone 4 to my my PC to sync, it shows up as a camera, and I am unable to drag and drop files (ringtones etc), how do I get the phone to show up as a device other than a camera?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

Iphone 4 shows up as a camera when connected to PC

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 9:29:42 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by UNSC_REACH on Jul 16, 2010 at 9:30:02 AM

What OS are you using, XP?

I know XP will have this issue.

What OS are you using, XP?

I know XP will have this issue.

Re: Iphone 4 shows up as a camera when connected to PC

[ Edited ]
2 of 12 (3,672 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 9:34:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

That's common. I have Vista and it shows that way as well. It's the same as connected a camera to your computer. In order to add ringtones, or photos or anything else you need to use iTunes. While your phone is connected to your PC, open iTunes and it will show up there.  Then you can choose to sync it with music, photos, apps, videos, podcasts, anything that shows up in iTunes. You can't add other types of files to the phone. 

That's common. I have Vista and it shows that way as well. It's the same as connected a camera to your computer. In order to add ringtones, or photos or anything else you need to use iTunes. While your phone is connected to your PC, open iTunes and it will show up there.  Then you can choose to sync it with music, photos, apps, videos, podcasts, anything that shows up in iTunes. You can't add other types of files to the phone. 

3 of 12 (3,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 9:40:25 AM
(0)
Professor
  • Shut down iPhone completely
  • Reboot computer
  • On the windows screen, open iTunes
  • Start up iPhone
  • Plug in

Some have suggested it should work. Also be sure your 'camera' app is set to photos not videos.

• Shut down iPhone completely
  • Reboot computer
  • On the windows screen, open iTunes
  • Start up iPhone
  • Plug in

Some have suggested it should work. Also be sure your 'camera' app is set to photos not videos.

4 of 12 (3,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 9:41:54 AM
(0)
Professor
The iPhone always shows up as a camera when attached to a PC. Normally, all you can do in Windows is transfer pictures from the phone. You typically can't drag and drop anything else from the phone or D&D anything to the phone. Other than that, and songs or apps that you get through the ITunes or the App Store on the phone can only be synced through iTunes.
The iPhone always shows up as a camera when attached to a PC. Normally, all you can do in Windows is transfer pictures from the phone. You typically can't drag and drop anything else from the phone or D&D anything to the phone. Other than that, and songs or apps that you get through the ITunes or the App Store on the phone can only be synced through iTunes.

5 of 12 (3,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 9:41:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

it *is* a camera. You can copy photos in& out of the camera roll area from any computer (even Linux) via USB, since it shows up like a camera.

Install iTunes if you want to sync music, etc. You should read the manual, it has all kinds of interesting info in it :smileyhappy:

it *is* a camera. You can copy photos in& out of the camera roll area from any computer (even Linux) via USB, since it shows up like a camera.

Install iTunes if you want to sync music, etc. You should read the manual, it has all kinds of interesting info in it :smileyhappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 12 (3,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 9:42:15 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by UNSC_REACH on Jul 16, 2010 at 9:43:10 AM

Exactly, if you can get the OS to show you a folder, then you can drag photos from the device onto your computer.

But you cannot add files or photos even if a folder appears. If you cannot get the folder to work, windows has a built in photo program that will pull the photos to a folder of your choice - on XP its so slow in my experience.

Exactly, if you can get the OS to show you a folder, then you can drag photos from the device onto your computer.

But you cannot add files or photos even if a folder appears. If you cannot get the folder to work, windows has a built in photo program that will pull the photos to a folder of your choice - on XP its so slow in my experience.

[ Edited ]
7 of 12 (3,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:12:57 AM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks for all of the help....what I am struggling with is getting some additional ringtones added to the phone. I have them downloaded in the iphone format (.m4r format) but cannot seem to get themmovwed to the phone? Any suggestions?

Thanks for all of the help....what I am struggling with is getting some additional ringtones added to the phone. I have them downloaded in the iphone format (.m4r format) but cannot seem to get themmovwed to the phone? Any suggestions?

8 of 12 (3,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:25:19 AM
(0)
Professor
Add them to iTunes then sync, thats the only way I know of.
Add them to iTunes then sync, thats the only way I know of.

9 of 12 (3,577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 10:53:20 AM
(0)
Professor

rgerstner wrote:

Either drag and drop the files into iTunes or use the Add files to library option under Files in the iTunes menu.

rgerstner wrote:

Either drag and drop the files into iTunes or use the Add files to library option under Files in the iTunes menu.

10 of 12 (3,558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 11:03:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

rgerstner wrote:

Drag & drop onto iTunes *and* enable Ringtone sync in Itunes.

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphoneringtones/ss/sync_ringtones_3.htm

rgerstner wrote:

Drag & drop onto iTunes *and* enable Ringtone sync in Itunes.

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphoneringtones/ss/sync_ringtones_3.htm

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 12 (2,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 2:02:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thank you all! I think I am good now....I appreciate the help.

Thank you all! I think I am good now....I appreciate the help.

12 of 12 (2,626 Views)