Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 22, 2011
1:04:01 AM
View profile
Iphone 4 or 4S??

I am ready to upgrade from my 3GS to either the iphone 4 or 4s. I just don't know which one to get. I do love the features that the 4s has to offer but I really love the price of the iphone 4. The biggest thing for me that the 4s offers is the dual core processor. But I don't know how much better it performs than the standard iphone 4 in real world situations. Do you guys feel that the 4s is worth the extra $100 over the standard iphone 4? Either one will be a nic upgrade from my old 3gs. My 3gs still functions fine but I really love the retina display, faster speed, and better camera that the iphone 4 offers over the 3gs. But the 4s tops the iphone 4 in all of those categories except the display and it has Siri to boot. I just can't decide if it is worth another $100. I am a disabled vet and my disability checks aren't near what my active duty military checks were so that extra $100 is pretty substantial to me. That being said, I would hate to save the money now and regret it later. Thanks for the help!!

I am ready to upgrade from my 3GS to either the iphone 4 or 4s. I just don't know which one to get. I do love the features that the 4s has to offer but I really love the price of the iphone 4. The biggest thing for me that the 4s offers is the dual core processor. But I don't know how much better it performs than the standard iphone 4 in real world situations. Do you guys feel that the 4s is worth the extra $100 over the standard iphone 4? Either one will be a nic upgrade from my old 3gs. My 3gs still functions fine but I really love the retina display, faster speed, and better camera that the iphone 4 offers over the 3gs. But the 4s tops the iphone 4 in all of those categories except the display and it has Siri to boot. I just can't decide if it is worth another $100. I am a disabled vet and my disability checks aren't near what my active duty military checks were so that extra $100 is pretty substantial to me. That being said, I would hate to save the money now and regret it later. Thanks for the help!!

Iphone 4 or 4S??

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 2:12:31 AM
(0)
Professor
Another issue to consider is whether you need the extra capacity.. I think the only iPhone 4 available is the 8GB phone for $99, while the smallest 4S is 16GB is $199.
Another issue to consider is whether you need the extra capacity.. I think the only iPhone 4 available is the 8GB phone for $99, while the smallest 4S is 16GB is $199.

Re: Iphone 4 or 4S??

2 of 6 (392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 4:10:53 AM
(0)
Scholar

While I can appreciate the financial aspect, if you consider the cost difference over the 2years of the contract, it's less than $5/month to move up from the 8GB iPhone 4 to the 16GB iPhone 4S.

Also consider the 4 is only available in 8GB.  If you need or want more storage, the 4S is the only option new.  Might also be a good idea to keep an eye on the online store for AT&T for a few days/weeks to see if any refurb 4's show up in the larger capacity.  that way you'd get a like new phone in a larger capacity at a lower price. 

From my perspective, I've had my 3GS for a little over 2yrs... it still works perfectly fine although a little slower than I like and battery life is becoming an issue.  For those reasons I'm considering upgrading and will go with a 4S because I expect to have it for 2+yrs and want the latest model/version I can get to last that length of time.  The 4 is a perfectly fine device... but just not certain I would still be happy with it in 2yrs when the model is 3yrs old, if that makes any sense.

While I can appreciate the financial aspect, if you consider the cost difference over the 2years of the contract, it's less than $5/month to move up from the 8GB iPhone 4 to the 16GB iPhone 4S.

Also consider the 4 is only available in 8GB.  If you need or want more storage, the 4S is the only option new.  Might also be a good idea to keep an eye on the online store for AT&T for a few days/weeks to see if any refurb 4's show up in the larger capacity.  that way you'd get a like new phone in a larger capacity at a lower price. 

From my perspective, I've had my 3GS for a little over 2yrs... it still works perfectly fine although a little slower than I like and battery life is becoming an issue.  For those reasons I'm considering upgrading and will go with a 4S because I expect to have it for 2+yrs and want the latest model/version I can get to last that length of time.  The 4 is a perfectly fine device... but just not certain I would still be happy with it in 2yrs when the model is 3yrs old, if that makes any sense.

3 of 6 (382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 6:31:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

branboss wrote:

I would go with the 4S.  I consider myself a medium level user and I've already used up 7.8G of my storage.  The 4S is faster on program loads, and if you like weather radar, the extra speed is nice.  For me it was worth the upgrade.

branboss wrote:

I would go with the 4S.  I consider myself a medium level user and I've already used up 7.8G of my storage.  The 4S is faster on program loads, and if you like weather radar, the extra speed is nice.  For me it was worth the upgrade.

4 of 6 (362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 7:00:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Essentially, both phones have the same design and offer about the same features, so there's not much of a difference between the two. If I had to choose, I would take the 4S because it's faster, has iOS 5 installed out of the box, better camera, and has Siri integration.

If cost is a factor, then I would choose the iPhone 4. Sometimes newer isn't always better. I'm getting along fine with a 3GS I purchased right before Halloween. As a matter of fact, tomorrow will be the first month I've had it.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Essentially, both phones have the same design and offer about the same features, so there's not much of a difference between the two. If I had to choose, I would take the 4S because it's faster, has iOS 5 installed out of the box, better camera, and has Siri integration.

If cost is a factor, then I would choose the iPhone 4. Sometimes newer isn't always better. I'm getting along fine with a 3GS I purchased right before Halloween. As a matter of fact, tomorrow will be the first month I've had it.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2011 11:22:47 AM
(0)
Contributor
I ended up getting the 4s. I like the extra speed. Plus if Apple comes out with a software update, I know the 4s will handle it. Thanks for all the help!!
I ended up getting the 4s. I like the extra speed. Plus if Apple comes out with a software update, I know the 4s will handle it. Thanks for all the help!!

6 of 6 (269 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments