Iphone 4 mic doesn't work on phone calls only after iOs 5.1 update

Contributor

Iphone 4 mic doesn't work on phone calls only after iOs 5.1 update

After I updated to iOs 5.1 no one can here me when I make a phone call.  Mic works perfectly with voicememos and videos.  Only when I make phone calls does it not work.  It isn't  muted.  I have done a reset both soft and hard of the phone.  Next step I can try after work today is to Roll back update.  But I am at work so will have to wait after 5.  Does anyone know an email to support at Apple to notify of software issues?  Phone was fine before fireware update. Don't have time yet to go to an Apple store and have them try to tell me it's not their fault.  I'm also going to reset the phone network info after this.

Message 1 of 11 (20,160 Views)
Contributor

Re: Iphone 4 mic doesn't work on phone calls only after iOs 5.1 update

Reset the network info and it did nothing.  Only thing I can think of to do is a firmware roll back when I get home.  Anyone else having such problems?

Message 2 of 11 (20,155 Views)
Master

Reload the new firmware at home or make an appointment at your local apple store and have them check it out. Www.apple.com/retail

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 3 of 11 (20,148 Views)
Contributor

This happened to me yesterday too, I spent a lot of time in the Apple store only to end up after restoring, updating, backing up, resetting to find that the problem was still there. I upgraded to the 4s but now I'm reading there are others having the same issue. I also read that it might be a bad sim card. Can you tell me what I can do about the old phone's sim card? Will AT&T replace it, if it is bad? Will they charge me? I'm already $250 out of pocket that may have been easily fixed by a sim card. I'm hoping I can fix it and either sell the perfectly good iphone 4 and/or return this 4s. Please advise.

Message 4 of 11 (20,121 Views)
ACE - Professor

Troubleshooting

1) use a wired headset - can callers hear you?

2) use a BT headset - can callers hear you?

3) use speakerphone setting - can callers hear you?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 11 (20,112 Views)
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

Troubleshooting

1) use a wired headset - can callers hear you?

2) use a BT headset - can callers hear you?

3) use speakerphone setting - can callers hear you?

Just nitpicking on my part, but technically the speakerphone's primary function when it comes to calls is to allow you to hear the other party through the speaker instead of through the receiver...not unless you're implying that the speaker also doubles as a microphone and/or somehow activates the microphone differently from how it (microphone) would be activated if you weren't using the speakerphone function?

Message 6 of 11 (20,109 Views)
Scholar

Update--gosh darn I just read somewhere that the iPhone (4/4S, not sure about older models) does indeed have two microphones--one on the bottom and the other on top, next to the headphone jack.  The top one is used for noise cancellation, unless the iPhone is used in Facetime and/or speakerphone mode--in which case, noise cancellation is turned off and the top mic becomes the active mic.  Of course if true, then the speakerphone test may still not reveal whether there may be an issue with the bottom mic...

Message 7 of 11 (20,094 Views)
ACE - Professor

Yep, I was just trying to verify if ANY mic was going to work, or if there was some issue with perhaps a third party app grabbing the audio input.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 11 (20,072 Views)
Contributor

Been busy, it does in fact work on speakerphone and I've been using a combo of that and the earbuds to make phonecalls. I don't own a blue tooth headset or have one I can borrow easily to check. 

If they claimed that a faulty sim card is the problem, I highly doubt that.  If the sim card went bad I wouldn't be able to access At&t network at all. 

Tried to restore and that did nothing to help. Even went as far as wiping all content from the phone on my 4th restore.  At this point I just want Apple to be aware of a bug in iOS 5.1 software so that they can work on the fix.  Maybe this weekend I can waste a day with Apple stores and such but I'm highly suspect of the claims I'm hearing over the phone and online.

Message 9 of 11 (20,065 Views)
ACE - Professor

If it works on speakerphone & earbuds, then its possible the headphone jack is stuck such that it thinks there is something in there when there is not... try multiple insert/removes of your headphones.

I've got three iPhone 4s on 5.1, no issue with the mic.It's not likely a bug in iOS5, just whatever problem you're having happened at the same time you installed 5.1.

Have you dropped by an apple store to have someone look at it?

Message 10 of 11 (20,053 Views)
Contributor

I have been having the same problem.  I took it to the Apple store and they reset the network and it worked for about 5 minutes.  I've tried speaker, ear buds, and just the regular mic, and it's pretty much a hit or miss with any of them.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  This didn't start for me either until immediately after I downloaded the 5.1 update.  I believe it is a software issue.  I am pretty much going to stick it out until the next update to be certain before I start spending a bunch of money.

Message 11 of 11 (19,745 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.