Helpful Links

Iphone 4 antenna issue fixed

Teacher

Iphone 4 antenna issue fixed

Ok, so I'm too lazy to search the threads.  Can anyone tell me if the Iphone 4 antenna issue has been fixed?  I'm looking to upgrade, so I want to make sure it is before I do.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 19
Professor

Re: Iphone 4 antenna issue fixed

Define "fixed". Apple says it's no problem and there is nothing to fix. The issue is related to the design of the phone and the external antenna. That has not changed.
Message 2 of 19
Professor

tj4ndirish wrote:

Ok, so I'm too lazy to search the threads.  Can anyone tell me if the Iphone 4 antenna issue has been fixed?  I'm looking to upgrade, so I want to make sure it is before I do.  Thanks.

Sure. You either don't completely wrap it in sweaty meat when you use it, or you put it in a $3 gel case that you would put it in anyway, and it works great. There will never be any hardware mods to the one year production cycle iPhones.

If you're waiting for some actual hardware change, that would be called "the iPhone 5" - expect it to arrive June of 2011. Just like every other year.

Message 3 of 19
Scholar

On the two iPhone 4 phones that we own we've never been able to produce the problem either without a case or with one and both of us have really tried out of curiosity.

Message 4 of 19
Scholar

tj4ndirish wrote:

The "antenna issue" was a media storm in the US, not a defect in the phone. The stories stopped months ago and the iPhone 4 continues to sell millions.
Message 5 of 19
Master

Re: Phone 4 antenna issue fixed

Sure your can hold an iPhone 4 in such a way and make the bars drop.  You can do this too on other phones that are not made by Apple.  Even when the bars drop, the real question is do you drop your call?  If you are in a weak signal area then maybe?   If you are like most people, you put your iPhone in a case to protect it and never touch the metal bands around the outside.  Will calls drop this way? Sure if you are in a weak signal area.  All carriers have weak areas where calls will drop and the media took advantage of jumping on the band wagon to highlight an issue with an industry leader.  It makes their ratings go up and if they are wrong they can correct the story later.  Maybe you will see the correction or maybe not.

If you want an iPhone 4, go get it and enjoy it!  If the antenna issue is truly bad for you, you have 30 days to return it and revert back to your current phone.  As you can tell for me and others, this was a non-issue.  For others it was an issue and not one to be discounted based on their personal experience.   They should have taken advantage of the 30 day return policy.  No one should hold onto a phone that causes them trouble and makes it become unusable.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 6 of 19
Teacher

Thanks all for your input.  I guess I'm guilty of believing everything I hear.  I've sold my iphone 3gs and will be getting my iphone 4 today.  Looking forward to playing with it.  Thanks again!

Message 7 of 19
Master

Inappropriate comment edited. Per the Guidelines, make sure to keep all posts courteous.

Message 8 of 19
Teacher

BrianfromNO wrote:

Inappropriate comment edited. Per the Guidelines, make sure to keep all posts courteous.

Hmmm, don't think I expected anyone to jump.  Just hoping for assistance which I got with a little less attitude than yours.  Thanks though.

Message 9 of 19
Scholar

Too bad you couldn't have held onto your 3GS a little bit longer.  Part of the enjoyment of the iPhone (or any tech device) is having the newest one -- the closer you get that to product launch, the longer that enjoyment will last before the newer better one is out.  Typically, though nothing has been announced, that's in June for iPhones.

This last year, many of us got a free ticket to upgrade before our contracts permitted -- I'm thinking that won't be an option this year Smiley Sad

Regarding the antenna, I can make a bunch of bars drop with the 'death-grip', but, I've never lost a call because of it.  I've lost many a calls though to another issue, and that's the screen coming back on while I've got it held against my face -- my cheek presses the end call button.  Supposedly addressed in one of the updates, but I have the most current OS version, and still regularly run into this.  Never had it happen with my 3GS.

Message 10 of 19
Professor

@benjitek, sorry to hear that you're having the proximity sensor issue.  You probably did not have the issue with the 3GS because they moved the PS for the iP4 to accommodate the FFC.  Some people have been successful in getting around the PS issue by holding the phone differently (I know it's a pain), using the Bluetooth device to make calls or using the speakerphone.

HTH

Message 11 of 19
Scholar

21stNow wrote:

[BLAH BLAH BLAH] ...Some people have been successful in getting around the PS issue by holding the phone differently (I know it's a pain), using the Bluetooth device to make calls or using the speakerphone... [BLAH BLAH BLAH]

Not really a solution, or even a workaround.  For the customer, it's a hardware defect -- pure 'n simple.  It's pretty much common sense you'll have to do one of the above to deal with the issue, no further info was needed; merely stating fact, not soliciting additional info -- but -- thanks for stopping by Smiley Wink

Still like the device, just pointing it out to someone who is new to it.

Message 12 of 19
Professor

benjitek wrote:

21stNow wrote:

[BLAH BLAH BLAH] ...Some people have been successful in getting around the PS issue by holding the phone differently (I know it's a pain), using the Bluetooth device to make calls or using the speakerphone... [BLAH BLAH BLAH]

Not really a solution, or even a workaround.  For the customer, it's a hardware defect -- pure 'n simple.  It's pretty much common sense you'll have to do one of the above to deal with the issue, no further info was needed; merely stating fact, not soliciting additional info -- but -- thanks for stopping by Smiley Wink

Still like the device, just pointing it out to someone who is new to it.

And I was just merely trying to be helpful.  You just can't be nice to some people.

Message 13 of 19
Scholar

21stNow wrote:

...and I was just merely trying to be helpful...

I'm sure your intentions were good, perhaps another topic...

Message 14 of 19
Professor

The defect is on every smartphone. You just don't usually notice it on a very good signal region of 5 bars plus. If your indoors or your outdoors has 4-2 bars, the signal issue is more noticeable while holding any smartphone on the bottom region with your palm.

3G/3GS/i4 just recently noticed it after the new signal bars patch on 4.0.1/4.1, but every smartphone whether it's Windows Mobile, Palm, Blackberry, Droid, or textphone all can experience the same problem. Holding the phone on the talk area with an enclosed palm that shields the base of the antenna with your body current.

Adding a padded case or electric tape (black tape) can shield the current issue. Most cases are designed to prevent touching the problem area. Usually silicon rubber but you can also use a plastic case.

I utilize a PowerMat i4 case and Energizer PowerSkin Battery Pack for i4 which both keep the phone from dropping the signal.

Message 15 of 19
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support