Iphone 4 and 4G

Mentor

Iphone 4 and 4G

I just upgraded to an iphone 4.  Now AT&T has announced that it is starting to install its 4G system.  I know that this is going to take quite a while, but I still have a couple of questions.

1. will my iphone still work on 4G?

2. will I have to upgrade to a newer phone to take advantage of the 4G capabilities?

Of course, if the answer to #1 is no, then #2 is moot.

Message 1 of 7 (7,701 Views)
Professor

Re: Iphone 4 and 4G

cobrasvt wrote:

I just upgraded to an iphone 4.  Now AT&T has announced that it is starting to install its 4G system.  I know that this is going to take quite a while, but I still have a couple of questions.

1. will my iphone still work on 4G?

2. will I have to upgrade to a newer phone to take advantage of the 4G capabilities?

Of course, if the answer to #1 is no, then #2 is moot.

This has already been answered, but I'll answer it again.

1) Your iPhone will continue to work on the AT&T network EXACTLY as it does today.  Just like the original iPhone worked perfectly fine on the EDGE network despite AT&T's roll-out of the 3G network.  Just like every other 3G  phone currently on the market reverts to EDGE when 3G is not available.  Nothing will change because of the roll-out of the 4G network.  The only change you may see is slightly faster connection speeds due to the upgraded backhual that is also being implemented.  However, your device is still limited to it's max theoretical download speed of 7.2Mbps.

2) YES!. 4G as being implemented by AT&T is a combination of HSPA+ and later this year LTE.  The iPhone4 does not have the hardware to take advantage of these network enhancements.

Message 2 of 7 (7,686 Views)
Mentor

Thanks.

Message 3 of 7 (7,668 Views)
Contributor

I beleive that the service in my area has been upgraded to 4G. My iPhone4 gets no data service at all unless I can connect to nearby Wi-Fi. I was under the impression that it would fall back to a 3G or even Edge service, that's what I have been reading, but I get no data service at all. Next to the AT&T bars there is nothing.

Is there any way to check why it isn't switching to a fallback service? Have others reported the same problem?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 7 (6,053 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

If you are not getting data, try basic troubleshooting of reset, restart, restore.

Also try, Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network settings.

Would also be a good idea to call AT&T to see if they are experiencing network issues in your area.

Message 5 of 7 (6,040 Views)
Contributor

Ah! Shoot! I always forget to try the simplest things. The resetting on Network Settings worked. It's now falling back to the 3G.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 7 (6,037 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

You do realize that it is not "falling back" to 3G.  The iPhone 4 is a 3G phone, that is not capable of 4G speeds.

Message 7 of 7 (6,035 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.