Helpful Links

Ipad owners taken for a ride.

Professor

Re: Ipad owners taken for a ride.

I personally think if you can afford the money for an iPad then you probably should be able to afford an extra $29.99 a month in order to lock in your unlimited. Smiley Wink

Message 31 of 68
Guru

theres a difference between a one time charge and monthly recurring charge. Specially if you dont need the 3G access that often.

Message 32 of 68
Tutor

MissAllison wrote:

I personally think if you can afford the money for an iPad then you probably should be able to afford an extra $29.99 a month in order to lock in your unlimited. Smiley Wink

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. What I can afford has nothing to do with anything. You're suggesting I throw away money to keep something that was offered when I bought the device. This is about a service that was a ''breakthrough'' offer only for the iPad. You buy it, you can pick up and drop unlimited data whenever you needed it. 
If you have no problem with companies not delivering what was promised then fine. I'm sure they love you since you'll probably accept anything they do. Roping me into a monthly ongoing fee to hold me hostage in order to keep unlimited isn't the original offer.
For me this is about a feature and or service that was promised and was not delivered. If companies are going to make claims then they need to be accountable for those claims or honor them. Its as simple as that.

Message 33 of 68
Professor

It isn't hard to understand at all. Sell your iPad then. AT&T and Apple didn't say unlimited data was going to be offered for life, then again they didnt say we would only get it for a month either. I don't think they expected the iPad to be as popular as it is. You could imagine the massive overload AT&T is more than likely facing due to all of the iPhone and iPad users. According to several articles that have been posted on several tech blogs a vast majority of people don't even touch 2GB a month. This change isn't going to affect the majority, only the minority.

It's very hard to honor something that your network isn't even capable of handling, hence the changes.

Message 34 of 68
Tutor

MissAllison wrote:

It isn't hard to understand at all. Sell your iPad then. AT&T and Apple didn't say unlimited data was going to be offered for life, then again they didnt say we would only get it for a month either. I don't think they expected the iPad to be as popular as it is. You could imagine the massive overload AT&T is more than likely facing due to all of the iPhone and iPad users. According to several articles that have been posted on several tech blogs a vast majority of people don't even touch 2GB a month. This change isn't going to affect the majority, only the minority.

It's very hard to honor something that your network isn't even capable of handling, hence the changes.

Their network had a hard time handling iPhone data before. They knew they had network problems. That isn't an excuse for baiting and switching the consumer. Remember they aren't telling me I can't have unlimited, they are telling me the only way I can is if I keep my sub ongoing for 360 dollars a year. Excuse me, that isn't what was advertised.

I'm the consumer, AT&T is the company with billions. Why are we making excuses for them? Why is it ok for them to make a claim and not honor it? If they can give me unlimited month to month then they can give me the original agreement to drop and add as I need it.

And I'm sorry, 32 days is hardly a reasonably expectation of service. And me selling the device at a loss isn't either.

Message 35 of 68

MissAllison wrote:

I personally think that if the CEO of a company tells you you will have unlimited data on a device then you should have unlimited data on a device, not for two months and then have it taken from you.

Message 36 of 68
Professor

I guess circumstances change sometimes. Wouldn't you rather be able to use your 3G at a decent speed, instead of the network being bogged down and running at the equivalent or worse of dial up speeds? Would you really even use the 3G anyhow if it was excruciatingly slow?  I think weeding out those that over use and abuse 3G is a lot more beneficial then letting everyone have "unlimited" which we all know isn't truly unlimited anyhow.

Message 37 of 68

Well, I have unlimited, and you can bet those of us that do will now be using our "data cap" of 5GB.

It's gonna crawl now.

Message 38 of 68
Tutor

MissAllison wrote:

I guess circumstances change sometimes. Wouldn't you rather be able to use your 3G at a decent speed, instead of the network being bogged down and running at the equivalent or worse of dial up speeds? Would you really even use the 3G anyhow if it was excruciatingly slow?  I think weeding out those that over use and abuse 3G is a lot more beneficial then letting everyone have "unlimited" which we all know isn't truly unlimited anyhow.

What is so hard for you to get. Everyone can still get unlimited, they just can't drop it. How is that saving the network? I might have picked up unlimited a couple times a year. Now going by them I have to keep it 12 months out of the year. If I'm paying for it I'm using it, so how again is that saving the network? By their original agreement I'd have used it less.

And my using 3G or how I wanted to use it and when is my business.

I will state again, this is about honoring what was sold to customers. If you are fine with a company going back on a promise to you that's you. I'm not okay with it. I bought on good faith and in good faith I actually expect them to deliver.

Imagine that.

Message 39 of 68
Contributor

Please, Please, Please!

I've been waiting for my iPad for two weeks now, so I won't get the option for "unlimited".  So my iPad is going back to Apple.  Please make full use of your unlimited data and bring down their network.  I'll catch you later on my new carrier Verizon when you get done messing with AT&T.

Message 40 of 68
Voyager

Well guess what I found? Just from a Google search? It still lists on a .pdf on the att website that you can get the unlimited and the 250 mb plans. Here is the link: http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/pdf/emerging_devices/iPad_fact_sheet.pdf

I have been saving for an i-pad to now find out that you can't get more than 2 gigs? Ok think of it this way, I want to watch Netflix They said you can stream 200 minutes of video and nothing else in 2 gigs. So most movies are 120-160 mins that's only 1 movie. Why even have the netflix app on the i-pad if you can't even watch more than 1 movie a month?

I'm not always around wifi this isn't Eurpoe with mandatory wifi all over the place, nor is this a city that has wifi all over it like in some states. This is Monroe, Michigan (below Detroit) and the only wifi might be Panera bread besides local house wifi.

Which does me no good at all, I wanted to be able to manage my websites with the html, css, php editing app from wherever I am. Being able to upload the pictures directly to my server from the i-pad. I don't understand it at all. Any thoughts on this?

Seriously the i-pad could be a great tool to do all kinds of things. Well I talked to the apple store chat and asked about this whole data plan thing, they told me the above information. But you can see as someone running multiple websites as a webmaster how unlimited 3g would be beneficial. The Apple Chat rep told me how this would be cheaper, I said yes it's cheaper if you never go over the 2 gigs, so instead of paying 30 flat fee, I would have to pay 35 if I went over just for an extra gigabyte. I'm not rich by any means, i've been saving for an i-pad for months now.

Does anyone see my point?

Message 41 of 68
Teacher

First off, it's "iPad", not "i-pad".  Second, if you want to do all this heavy streaming, you need to get WiFi.  Period.  It is what it is.  Even if there was a silent 5GB cap, at those data rates, you'd hit that too, and be in the same situation.

Message 42 of 68
Voyager

That's the best comeback? It doesn't matter how I spelled the i-pad or ipad, or iPad even. I have wifi, if you didn't see what I wrote above about having a home wifi... I hope you never do sales for att because with that I would say why even get the data plan from att then? I might as well get a portable wifi card or use a wifi hotspot from a verizon phone, or I might as well just stay at my house, use my computer and not even bother with an ipad meant for portability to get internet anywhere....

Message 43 of 68
Tutor

AT&T itself originally said the iPad wasn't capped. I wish people would quit saying it. IT was a true unlimited plan. If they couldn't handle unlimited they shouldn't have offered it in the first place. Not that it matters, like I said me and most of the country are still on Edge and even youtube streaming looks like crap. My arguement was the options was taken away after a month. I bought based on one thing, not to start making excuses for the company when they can't deliver it.

If I lose my job and can't afford to pay for a month they aren't going to let me slide so why should I let them?

Message 44 of 68
Teacher

Me?  Work for AT&T in sales?  LMAO, not gonna happen.  Anyway, I think it's ridiculous to whine about it so much--it's a done deal.  And the other carriers will follow suit.  Move on with your life.

Message 45 of 68
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support