Ipad owners taken for a ride.

Scholar

Re: Ipad owners taken for a ride.

BIGWHITE2K9 wrote:

Yeah but try telling that to the customer that just spent $130 more on his 3g ipad thinking he had a unlimited data option.

There was never an unlimited data option for the iPad.  Never.  Ever.  It was capped at 5 gigabytes. 

Message 16 of 68 (1,505 Views)
Scholar

morph2-7 wrote:

I agree with zentec. The new plan will hurt heavy data users the most. It's actually a better plan for low data users. Problem is, are we going to be able to check (on whatever device we're using) how much data we've been using? Will the "data usage" info be accurate? Will ATT notify us once we're close to that limit? Or will they silently charge us overage fee?

Download the AT&T app; it is accurate and it beats having to look at bill summaries or detailed billing.

Message 17 of 68 (1,504 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Show me where it said there was a 5G cap. That is not how it was sold to us. We were told unlimited. People have purposely gone way over 5G to test it fine without overages.

What it is is complete BS.

Message 18 of 68 (1,490 Views)
Tutor

Then perhaps they should keep their $30 5 Gig tier. 2 GB isn't suitable for simple web browsing.
Message 19 of 68 (1,440 Views)
Scholar

Synergi wrote:

Show me where it said there was a 5G cap. That is not how it was sold to us. We were told unlimited. People have purposely gone way over 5G to test it fine without overages.

What it is is complete BS.

Try Google.

'The new unlimited data plans are said to include a 5GB “soft” cap in order to discourage excessive use – “users will not be billed overages but people with constant overages will be contacted to try to reassess the users needs.'

That is from 2008.  Anyone who made a moderately informed decision about purchasing an iPhone in the last two years has undoubtedly learned that there is a soft cap.  And you still technically have unlimited access, the only limitation is how many $10 bills you run through for each gigabyte after your initial 2 gig.

I don't agree with the pricing points.  But then I also don't agree that this media is appropriate for "unlimited" use either.

Message 20 of 68 (1,419 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Great point, except the iPad wasn't around in 2008. Steve Jobs said unlimited data for 29.99. For the people that skipped the WiFi model, I promise that statement he made is what sold it. The question is why did AT&T even agree to support the iPad with a unlimited data plan when they don't have the 3G network to support it. Their 3g map is sadly empty.

At any rate, we were baited and switched, false advertised or plainly mislead. I've already filed a complaint, I hope everyone else that doesn't agree with this does the same.

Message 21 of 68 (1,771 Views)
Expert

Synergi wrote:

Great point, except the iPad wasn't around in 2008. Steve Jobs said unlimited data for 29.99. For the people that skipped the WiFi model, I promise that statement he made is what sold it. The question is why did AT&T even agree to support the iPad with a unlimited data plan when they don't have the 3G network to support it. Their 3g map is sadly empty.

At any rate, we were baited and switched, false advertised or plainly mislead. I've already filed a complaint, I hope everyone else that doesn't agree with this does the same.

It is not a bait and switch, ATTM is allowing you to keep the data plan you have as long as the service stays active, if the service is terminated in any way then when it is started again you have to pick from the current line up of service and features, it has always been like this for all wireless carriers, it is nothing new.

The views and opinion expressed herein are not necessarily those of anyperson, even containing that there of, of the message poster.
Message 22 of 68 (1,766 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

That's nice of AT&T but that isn't the original way it was sold. It was stated we could pick up and drop between unlimited data and the 250MB plan as we needed it. With this new plan we are forced to keep it ongoing if we want to keep unlimited.

How is that not bait and switch 32 days after the product is released?

Apple described it as a “breakthrough deal” And flexible terms with AT&T, leading consumers, like myself to believe that Apple had locked in the terms and price.
A key, heavily advertised, feature was the ability to jump between plans or have no 3G plan as dictated by needs and budget.
The change in the plans has significant impact on the value of the device and the manner in which it can be used.
I want AT&T and Apple to honor the advertised deal.

Message 23 of 68 (1,752 Views)
Professor

Synergi wrote:

Great point, except the iPad wasn't around in 2008. Steve Jobs said unlimited data for 29.99. For the people that skipped the WiFi model, I promise that statement he made is what sold it.

No one skipped the Wi-Fi model.  ALL iPads have Wi-Fi.

There is NOTHING that stops you from using Wi-Fi on the iPad with 3G.  If your intention is to only use the cellular data connection on the iPad and not turn on the Wi-Fi, then I say 1) you are a fool and 2) I hope you pay AT&T a TON of money in overage charges.

Why would you want to use the cellular connection as opposed to Wi-Fi?  Wi-Fi is faster the majority of the time.  The intent of providing a cellular connection is so that you will  have data access when you are not near Wi-Fi.  I bet if you stop actually review your data usage, you will see that you could easily be under the 2Gb cap.

Message 24 of 68 (1,727 Views)
Tutor

I'm aware it has Wifi, That wasn't my point and I think you know it. The point is I bought it for what it was advertised for. Flexible, unlimited data, pick and drop at will.  But I guess its alright to advertise one thing and for you to call people a fool for actually expecting to get it? 

For the record, I've used 14mb of my iPad data plan because I do have wifi at home. That isn't the point. The point is I want the options that were used as a selling point. I want the offer honored that swayed me into buying this device in the first place. 

All over the net people are scrambling to pick up an ongoing unlimited data plan they didn't originally want because they don't want to lose it. That, isn't right. It's a contract, without having a contract. Well done.

Message 25 of 68 (1,717 Views)
Tutor

Your argument on using wifi as opposed to the 3G connection assumes there is an available wifi connection. I doubt many people at all would stick with their cellular connection if there is an available wifi signal nearby. The average web page isn't the 300 kb AT&T assumes it to be when they make statements about how many web pages you could view with their new cap.

Data use statistics for a phone are not relevant to estimated data usage on a tablet built to offer full versions of web sites.
Message 26 of 68 (1,692 Views)
Teacher

It is NOT AT&T's fault. It is the customers fault who fail to listen. Due to hackers and people who tether their iPad and iPhone to a computer takes the AT&T network and uses it for internet. People were using their at&t data plans for their computers internet which you shouldn't. So AT&T removed the unlimited so whoever over uses will get charged. It doesnt matter anyways the prices are better starting at $15-29 dollers instead of $30-45!

Message 27 of 68 (1,625 Views)

palterrz wrote:

It is NOT AT&T's fault. It is the customers fault who fail to listen. Due to hackers and people who tether their iPad and iPhone to a computer takes the AT&T network and uses it for internet. People were using their at&t data plans for their computers internet which you shouldn't. So AT&T removed the unlimited so whoever over uses will get charged. It doesnt matter anyways the prices are better starting at $15-29 dollers instead of $30-45!

I seriously doubt this is true.  If I wanted AT&T access, I'd just sign up for U-verse, get a tremendous amount more bandwidth via Wifi from the 2-Wire cable-modem, for near the same price as the "unlimmited" plan.

The iPad hasn't been out long enough for enough hackers to beging hacking it to use as a tethered device, plus any hacker worth his salt is going to be using free Wifi hotspots, or hacking into his neighbor's Wifi and using that for free.

"Paying" actual money for a service just to hack it is NOT something smart hackers do.

You are making an assumption.  I find your reasoning rather silly.

Message 28 of 68 (1,615 Views)

I'm going to keep my unlimited data plan and keep on using it on my IPad too.  If AT&T want's to nickel and dime its customers those of us who have unlimited will use unlimited.

Deal with it.

Message 29 of 68 (1,606 Views)
Tutor

It just boggles my mind people think its ok to be promised a feature and the company not follow through with it. I don't even have 3G in my area, a lot of people don't have 3g yet. Having the ability to turn on unlimited when we got it was a nice option and a promised one. 32 days is not acceptable or reasonably and I have filed a FTC complaint against both companies over it.

Holding me hostage to 30 a month to keep unlimited while I'm on Edge is also not acceptable and I'm sorry, it is bait and switch and AT&T isn't doing me any favors by offering it.

Give me what was offered. Honor your side of it.

Message 30 of 68 (1,561 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.