Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 5, 2010
12:16:22 PM
Ipad owners taken for a ride.

The biggest problem I have with the data plan changes are because of the ipad.  A couple of months ago when Steve Jobs introduced he said users will have the prepaid option $30 for unlimited data & you could stop & start when needed.  Now the ipad 3G barely been released for a month & you change the plans.  Very bad business AT&T.

The biggest problem I have with the data plan changes are because of the ipad.  A couple of months ago when Steve Jobs introduced he said users will have the prepaid option $30 for unlimited data & you could stop & start when needed.  Now the ipad 3G barely been released for a month & you change the plans.  Very bad business AT&T.

Ipad owners taken for a ride.

67 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(67)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 1:02:13 PM
(0)
Professor

I personally think if you can afford the money for an iPad then you probably should be able to afford an extra $29.99 a month in order to lock in your unlimited. Smiley Wink

I personally think if you can afford the money for an iPad then you probably should be able to afford an extra $29.99 a month in order to lock in your unlimited. Smiley Wink

Re: Ipad owners taken for a ride.

31 of 68 (1,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 1:06:40 PM
(0)
Guru

theres a difference between a one time charge and monthly recurring charge. Specially if you dont need the 3G access that often.

theres a difference between a one time charge and monthly recurring charge. Specially if you dont need the 3G access that often.

32 of 68 (1,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 1:18:40 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Synergi on Jun 7, 2010 at 1:23:13 PM

MissAllison wrote:

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. What I can afford has nothing to do with anything. You're suggesting I throw away money to keep something that was offered when I bought the device. This is about a service that was a ''breakthrough'' offer only for the iPad. You buy it, you can pick up and drop unlimited data whenever you needed it. 
If you have no problem with companies not delivering what was promised then fine. I'm sure they love you since you'll probably accept anything they do. Roping me into a monthly ongoing fee to hold me hostage in order to keep unlimited isn't the original offer.
For me this is about a feature and or service that was promised and was not delivered. If companies are going to make claims then they need to be accountable for those claims or honor them. Its as simple as that.

MissAllison wrote:

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. What I can afford has nothing to do with anything. You're suggesting I throw away money to keep something that was offered when I bought the device. This is about a service that was a ''breakthrough'' offer only for the iPad. You buy it, you can pick up and drop unlimited data whenever you needed it. 
If you have no problem with companies not delivering what was promised then fine. I'm sure they love you since you'll probably accept anything they do. Roping me into a monthly ongoing fee to hold me hostage in order to keep unlimited isn't the original offer.
For me this is about a feature and or service that was promised and was not delivered. If companies are going to make claims then they need to be accountable for those claims or honor them. Its as simple as that.

[ Edited ]
33 of 68 (1,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 1:41:28 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by MissAllison on Jun 7, 2010 at 1:42:11 PM

It isn't hard to understand at all. Sell your iPad then. AT&T and Apple didn't say unlimited data was going to be offered for life, then again they didnt say we would only get it for a month either. I don't think they expected the iPad to be as popular as it is. You could imagine the massive overload AT&T is more than likely facing due to all of the iPhone and iPad users. According to several articles that have been posted on several tech blogs a vast majority of people don't even touch 2GB a month. This change isn't going to affect the majority, only the minority.

It's very hard to honor something that your network isn't even capable of handling, hence the changes.

It isn't hard to understand at all. Sell your iPad then. AT&T and Apple didn't say unlimited data was going to be offered for life, then again they didnt say we would only get it for a month either. I don't think they expected the iPad to be as popular as it is. You could imagine the massive overload AT&T is more than likely facing due to all of the iPhone and iPad users. According to several articles that have been posted on several tech blogs a vast majority of people don't even touch 2GB a month. This change isn't going to affect the majority, only the minority.

It's very hard to honor something that your network isn't even capable of handling, hence the changes.

[ Edited ]
34 of 68 (1,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 2:05:41 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Synergi on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:06:53 PM

MissAllison wrote:

Their network had a hard time handling iPhone data before. They knew they had network problems. That isn't an excuse for baiting and switching the consumer. Remember they aren't telling me I can't have unlimited, they are telling me the only way I can is if I keep my sub ongoing for 360 dollars a year. Excuse me, that isn't what was advertised.

I'm the consumer, AT&T is the company with billions. Why are we making excuses for them? Why is it ok for them to make a claim and not honor it? If they can give me unlimited month to month then they can give me the original agreement to drop and add as I need it.

And I'm sorry, 32 days is hardly a reasonably expectation of service. And me selling the device at a loss isn't either.

MissAllison wrote:

Their network had a hard time handling iPhone data before. They knew they had network problems. That isn't an excuse for baiting and switching the consumer. Remember they aren't telling me I can't have unlimited, they are telling me the only way I can is if I keep my sub ongoing for 360 dollars a year. Excuse me, that isn't what was advertised.

I'm the consumer, AT&T is the company with billions. Why are we making excuses for them? Why is it ok for them to make a claim and not honor it? If they can give me unlimited month to month then they can give me the original agreement to drop and add as I need it.

And I'm sorry, 32 days is hardly a reasonably expectation of service. And me selling the device at a loss isn't either.

[ Edited ]
35 of 68 (1,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 2:12:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

MissAllison wrote:

I personally think that if the CEO of a company tells you you will have unlimited data on a device then you should have unlimited data on a device, not for two months and then have it taken from you.

MissAllison wrote:

I personally think that if the CEO of a company tells you you will have unlimited data on a device then you should have unlimited data on a device, not for two months and then have it taken from you.

36 of 68 (1,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 2:17:04 PM
(0)
Professor

I guess circumstances change sometimes. Wouldn't you rather be able to use your 3G at a decent speed, instead of the network being bogged down and running at the equivalent or worse of dial up speeds? Would you really even use the 3G anyhow if it was excruciatingly slow?  I think weeding out those that over use and abuse 3G is a lot more beneficial then letting everyone have "unlimited" which we all know isn't truly unlimited anyhow.

I guess circumstances change sometimes. Wouldn't you rather be able to use your 3G at a decent speed, instead of the network being bogged down and running at the equivalent or worse of dial up speeds? Would you really even use the 3G anyhow if it was excruciatingly slow?  I think weeding out those that over use and abuse 3G is a lot more beneficial then letting everyone have "unlimited" which we all know isn't truly unlimited anyhow.

37 of 68 (1,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 2:20:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

Well, I have unlimited, and you can bet those of us that do will now be using our "data cap" of 5GB.

It's gonna crawl now.

Well, I have unlimited, and you can bet those of us that do will now be using our "data cap" of 5GB.

It's gonna crawl now.

38 of 68 (1,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 2:31:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

MissAllison wrote:

What is so hard for you to get. Everyone can still get unlimited, they just can't drop it. How is that saving the network? I might have picked up unlimited a couple times a year. Now going by them I have to keep it 12 months out of the year. If I'm paying for it I'm using it, so how again is that saving the network? By their original agreement I'd have used it less.

And my using 3G or how I wanted to use it and when is my business.

I will state again, this is about honoring what was sold to customers. If you are fine with a company going back on a promise to you that's you. I'm not okay with it. I bought on good faith and in good faith I actually expect them to deliver.

Imagine that.

MissAllison wrote:

What is so hard for you to get. Everyone can still get unlimited, they just can't drop it. How is that saving the network? I might have picked up unlimited a couple times a year. Now going by them I have to keep it 12 months out of the year. If I'm paying for it I'm using it, so how again is that saving the network? By their original agreement I'd have used it less.

And my using 3G or how I wanted to use it and when is my business.

I will state again, this is about honoring what was sold to customers. If you are fine with a company going back on a promise to you that's you. I'm not okay with it. I bought on good faith and in good faith I actually expect them to deliver.

Imagine that.

39 of 68 (1,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2010 5:26:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

Please, Please, Please!

I've been waiting for my iPad for two weeks now, so I won't get the option for "unlimited".  So my iPad is going back to Apple.  Please make full use of your unlimited data and bring down their network.  I'll catch you later on my new carrier Verizon when you get done messing with AT&T.

Please, Please, Please!

I've been waiting for my iPad for two weeks now, so I won't get the option for "unlimited".  So my iPad is going back to Apple.  Please make full use of your unlimited data and bring down their network.  I'll catch you later on my new carrier Verizon when you get done messing with AT&T.

40 of 68 (1,204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 9:08:00 AM
(0)
Voyager

Well guess what I found? Just from a Google search? It still lists on a .pdf on the att website that you can get the unlimited and the 250 mb plans. Here is the link: http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/pdf/emerging_devices/iPad_fact_sheet.pdf

I have been saving for an i-pad to now find out that you can't get more than 2 gigs? Ok think of it this way, I want to watch Netflix They said you can stream 200 minutes of video and nothing else in 2 gigs. So most movies are 120-160 mins that's only 1 movie. Why even have the netflix app on the i-pad if you can't even watch more than 1 movie a month?

I'm not always around wifi this isn't Eurpoe with mandatory wifi all over the place, nor is this a city that has wifi all over it like in some states. This is Monroe, Michigan (below Detroit) and the only wifi might be Panera bread besides local house wifi.

Which does me no good at all, I wanted to be able to manage my websites with the html, css, php editing app from wherever I am. Being able to upload the pictures directly to my server from the i-pad. I don't understand it at all. Any thoughts on this?

Seriously the i-pad could be a great tool to do all kinds of things. Well I talked to the apple store chat and asked about this whole data plan thing, they told me the above information. But you can see as someone running multiple websites as a webmaster how unlimited 3g would be beneficial. The Apple Chat rep told me how this would be cheaper, I said yes it's cheaper if you never go over the 2 gigs, so instead of paying 30 flat fee, I would have to pay 35 if I went over just for an extra gigabyte. I'm not rich by any means, i've been saving for an i-pad for months now.

Does anyone see my point?

Well guess what I found? Just from a Google search? It still lists on a .pdf on the att website that you can get the unlimited and the 250 mb plans. Here is the link: http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/pdf/emerging_devices/iPad_fact_sheet.pdf

I have been saving for an i-pad to now find out that you can't get more than 2 gigs? Ok think of it this way, I want to watch Netflix They said you can stream 200 minutes of video and nothing else in 2 gigs. So most movies are 120-160 mins that's only 1 movie. Why even have the netflix app on the i-pad if you can't even watch more than 1 movie a month?

I'm not always around wifi this isn't Eurpoe with mandatory wifi all over the place, nor is this a city that has wifi all over it like in some states. This is Monroe, Michigan (below Detroit) and the only wifi might be Panera bread besides local house wifi.

Which does me no good at all, I wanted to be able to manage my websites with the html, css, php editing app from wherever I am. Being able to upload the pictures directly to my server from the i-pad. I don't understand it at all. Any thoughts on this?

Seriously the i-pad could be a great tool to do all kinds of things. Well I talked to the apple store chat and asked about this whole data plan thing, they told me the above information. But you can see as someone running multiple websites as a webmaster how unlimited 3g would be beneficial. The Apple Chat rep told me how this would be cheaper, I said yes it's cheaper if you never go over the 2 gigs, so instead of paying 30 flat fee, I would have to pay 35 if I went over just for an extra gigabyte. I'm not rich by any means, i've been saving for an i-pad for months now.

Does anyone see my point?

41 of 68 (1,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 9:15:59 AM
(0)
Teacher

First off, it's "iPad", not "i-pad".  Second, if you want to do all this heavy streaming, you need to get WiFi.  Period.  It is what it is.  Even if there was a silent 5GB cap, at those data rates, you'd hit that too, and be in the same situation.

First off, it's "iPad", not "i-pad".  Second, if you want to do all this heavy streaming, you need to get WiFi.  Period.  It is what it is.  Even if there was a silent 5GB cap, at those data rates, you'd hit that too, and be in the same situation.

42 of 68 (1,385 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 9:22:25 AM
(0)
Voyager

That's the best comeback? It doesn't matter how I spelled the i-pad or ipad, or iPad even. I have wifi, if you didn't see what I wrote above about having a home wifi... I hope you never do sales for att because with that I would say why even get the data plan from att then? I might as well get a portable wifi card or use a wifi hotspot from a verizon phone, or I might as well just stay at my house, use my computer and not even bother with an ipad meant for portability to get internet anywhere....

That's the best comeback? It doesn't matter how I spelled the i-pad or ipad, or iPad even. I have wifi, if you didn't see what I wrote above about having a home wifi... I hope you never do sales for att because with that I would say why even get the data plan from att then? I might as well get a portable wifi card or use a wifi hotspot from a verizon phone, or I might as well just stay at my house, use my computer and not even bother with an ipad meant for portability to get internet anywhere....

43 of 68 (1,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 11:56:58 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Synergi on Jun 9, 2010 at 11:58:22 AM

AT&T itself originally said the iPad wasn't capped. I wish people would quit saying it. IT was a true unlimited plan. If they couldn't handle unlimited they shouldn't have offered it in the first place. Not that it matters, like I said me and most of the country are still on Edge and even youtube streaming looks like crap. My arguement was the options was taken away after a month. I bought based on one thing, not to start making excuses for the company when they can't deliver it.

If I lose my job and can't afford to pay for a month they aren't going to let me slide so why should I let them?

AT&T itself originally said the iPad wasn't capped. I wish people would quit saying it. IT was a true unlimited plan. If they couldn't handle unlimited they shouldn't have offered it in the first place. Not that it matters, like I said me and most of the country are still on Edge and even youtube streaming looks like crap. My arguement was the options was taken away after a month. I bought based on one thing, not to start making excuses for the company when they can't deliver it.

If I lose my job and can't afford to pay for a month they aren't going to let me slide so why should I let them?

[ Edited ]
44 of 68 (1,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 12:08:32 PM
(0)
Teacher

Me?  Work for AT&T in sales?  LMAO, not gonna happen.  Anyway, I think it's ridiculous to whine about it so much--it's a done deal.  And the other carriers will follow suit.  Move on with your life.

Me?  Work for AT&T in sales?  LMAO, not gonna happen.  Anyway, I think it's ridiculous to whine about it so much--it's a done deal.  And the other carriers will follow suit.  Move on with your life.

45 of 68 (1,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 12:38:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

impaler wrote:

Yep and that kind of talk is why big corporations just run over people.

impaler wrote:

Yep and that kind of talk is why big corporations just run over people.

46 of 68 (1,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 1:33:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

Nah.  No corporation is holidng the cards, I am.  I am with AT&T only because they have the iPhone.  If I didn't like the practice that much, I'd dump the phone and carrier, and go with someone else.  I prefer Sprint's plans, but they don't have the iPhone, so I'm willing to live with it right now. 

In life, people or companies only run over you if you let them.  If you live your life getting run over, then I feel sorry for you.  I'm done discussing this.

Nah.  No corporation is holidng the cards, I am.  I am with AT&T only because they have the iPhone.  If I didn't like the practice that much, I'd dump the phone and carrier, and go with someone else.  I prefer Sprint's plans, but they don't have the iPhone, so I'm willing to live with it right now. 

In life, people or companies only run over you if you let them.  If you live your life getting run over, then I feel sorry for you.  I'm done discussing this.

47 of 68 (1,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 1:35:14 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by mod.moose on Jun 9, 2010 at 2:03:46 PM

therob512 wrote:

That's the best comeback? It doesn't matter how I spelled the i-pad or ipad, or iPad even.

You're certainly free to spell it however you want to...{Please keep it courteous and do not go around the word filter}.  Just sayin'...

therob512 wrote:

That's the best comeback? It doesn't matter how I spelled the i-pad or ipad, or iPad even.

You're certainly free to spell it however you want to...{Please keep it courteous and do not go around the word filter}.  Just sayin'...

[ Edited ]
48 of 68 (1,089 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 4:20:35 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by mod.moose on Jun 9, 2010 at 4:29:09 PM

I bought the iPad hardware on May 21.  The hardware was delivered to my home on June 8, conveniently one day after the unlimited for $29.99 went away.

I spent several hours trying to reason with AT&T phone reps today, but they don't think they have a problem.  I don't have service

{chrisbob, You have received information in your private message box --> . It Should Be Gold. Please read.}

I bought the iPad hardware on May 21.  The hardware was delivered to my home on June 8, conveniently one day after the unlimited for $29.99 went away.

I spent several hours trying to reason with AT&T phone reps today, but they don't think they have a problem.  I don't have service

{chrisbob, You have received information in your private message box --> . It Should Be Gold. Please read.}

[ Edited ]
49 of 68 (1,060 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 8:09:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi .. can anyone verify this .. i ordered a 3g/wifi ipad from the apple store on june 5.. based on internet postings that at&t would honor the $29 unlimited data plan if one ordered before the 7th.. but did not receive it until after the 7th .. i am not expecting to receive it for several more days.. so my question /s  ... so does anyone know if this is true? If it is true .. how does one initiate it? In the good old days .. of a month or so ago .. one just had to select the unlimited data plan from the ipad app ..

but who knows now .. if anyone can enlighten me on this subject .. much appreciated.

Hi .. can anyone verify this .. i ordered a 3g/wifi ipad from the apple store on june 5.. based on internet postings that at&t would honor the $29 unlimited data plan if one ordered before the 7th.. but did not receive it until after the 7th .. i am not expecting to receive it for several more days.. so my question /s  ... so does anyone know if this is true? If it is true .. how does one initiate it? In the good old days .. of a month or so ago .. one just had to select the unlimited data plan from the ipad app ..

but who knows now .. if anyone can enlighten me on this subject .. much appreciated.

50 of 68 (1,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 11:37:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

Impaler I'm glad its no problem for you to dump a device you paid 700 bucks for after one month. I'm glad you think people should give up instead of make them honor what they agreed too. Good for you..

Kbnet, the option is gone for me. But it is still there for other people. I had the 15 dollar plan for 250mb and since I didn't pick the unlimited before the time expired it went away for me. Other people who haven't picked one at all still had the option at least they did yesterday. Hope that helps.

Impaler I'm glad its no problem for you to dump a device you paid 700 bucks for after one month. I'm glad you think people should give up instead of make them honor what they agreed too. Good for you..

Kbnet, the option is gone for me. But it is still there for other people. I had the 15 dollar plan for 250mb and since I didn't pick the unlimited before the time expired it went away for me. Other people who haven't picked one at all still had the option at least they did yesterday. Hope that helps.

51 of 68 (1,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 3:32:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

satchev wrote:

Synergi wrote:

Great point, except the iPad wasn't around in 2008. Steve Jobs said unlimited data for 29.99. For the people that skipped the WiFi model, I promise that statement he made is what sold it.

No one skipped the Wi-Fi model.  ALL iPads have Wi-Fi.

There is NOTHING that stops you from using Wi-Fi on the iPad with 3G.  If your intention is to only use the cellular data connection on the iPad and not turn on the Wi-Fi, then I say 1) you are a fool and 2) I hope you pay AT&T a TON of money in overage charges.

Why would you want to use the cellular connection as opposed to Wi-Fi?  Wi-Fi is faster the majority of the time.  The intent of providing a cellular connection is so that you will  have data access when you are not near Wi-Fi.  I bet if you stop actually review your data usage, you will see that you could easily be under the 2Gb cap.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have wifi hotspots on every corner of the city. In all my years I rarely get any free wifi excpet when I go to the Apple Store. Also, you can't use wifi at work, in the bus/train, and many other places. With my iPhone I'm using the 3G network almost excuslively. Sure, I have wifi at home, but why would I want to use an iPad or iPhone on wifi at home when I have my MacBook Pro? The iPad is designed to be mobile, and 3G allows it to function that way.

satchev wrote:

Synergi wrote:

Great point, except the iPad wasn't around in 2008. Steve Jobs said unlimited data for 29.99. For the people that skipped the WiFi model, I promise that statement he made is what sold it.

No one skipped the Wi-Fi model.  ALL iPads have Wi-Fi.

There is NOTHING that stops you from using Wi-Fi on the iPad with 3G.  If your intention is to only use the cellular data connection on the iPad and not turn on the Wi-Fi, then I say 1) you are a fool and 2) I hope you pay AT&T a TON of money in overage charges.

Why would you want to use the cellular connection as opposed to Wi-Fi?  Wi-Fi is faster the majority of the time.  The intent of providing a cellular connection is so that you will  have data access when you are not near Wi-Fi.  I bet if you stop actually review your data usage, you will see that you could easily be under the 2Gb cap.

Not everyone is lucky enough to have wifi hotspots on every corner of the city. In all my years I rarely get any free wifi excpet when I go to the Apple Store. Also, you can't use wifi at work, in the bus/train, and many other places. With my iPhone I'm using the 3G network almost excuslively. Sure, I have wifi at home, but why would I want to use an iPad or iPhone on wifi at home when I have my MacBook Pro? The iPad is designed to be mobile, and 3G allows it to function that way.

52 of 68 (1,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 3:39:06 AM
(0)
Mentor

I agree. Problem is I haven't bought my iPad yet so even if I think I can afford the $30 a month, I may not have that option anymore. Too bad as I wanted the iPad so I don't have to lug my MacBook Pro and USB modem around anymore. With a 2Gig cap it makes the iPad much less attractive. My 4G Clear USB Wireless card contract cost $40 for unlimited data. Sure. It's $10 more, but at least its unlimmited.

I agree. Problem is I haven't bought my iPad yet so even if I think I can afford the $30 a month, I may not have that option anymore. Too bad as I wanted the iPad so I don't have to lug my MacBook Pro and USB modem around anymore. With a 2Gig cap it makes the iPad much less attractive. My 4G Clear USB Wireless card contract cost $40 for unlimited data. Sure. It's $10 more, but at least its unlimmited.

53 of 68 (1,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 4:00:11 AM
(0)
Contributor

thanks Synergi .. hope you are right .. I work with some disabled people on the week ends and do not have wifi .. but a lot of free time .. so i wanted the 3g to pass the time some what .. though i doubt I would use more than 4gb a month anyway .. 2 seems kind of skinny ..  i guess when my ipad finally arrives I will find out if I have the option or not ..

thanks Synergi .. hope you are right .. I work with some disabled people on the week ends and do not have wifi .. but a lot of free time .. so i wanted the 3g to pass the time some what .. though i doubt I would use more than 4gb a month anyway .. 2 seems kind of skinny ..  i guess when my ipad finally arrives I will find out if I have the option or not ..

54 of 68 (1,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2010 7:03:04 AM
(0)
Mentor

That's like my situation where I go to a vacation condo several times a year if I am lucky and the total reason I bought the 3G version is because the cell plan for it was touted as being able to turn it off and on at will!  That is not the case!  FALSE ADVERTISING IMHO.  The condo I go to does not have Wifi, phone, internet or TV.  This device was perfect for it and now it's not!  I feel cheated and lied to.  I am NOT going to pay $30 each month to be able use it once in a while. Which in effect would be getting locked into a contract only without a term of course.  It just sucks they way they did this so soon after the launch.  I haven't even received my iPad yet and they already changed to plan!

That's like my situation where I go to a vacation condo several times a year if I am lucky and the total reason I bought the 3G version is because the cell plan for it was touted as being able to turn it off and on at will!  That is not the case!  FALSE ADVERTISING IMHO.  The condo I go to does not have Wifi, phone, internet or TV.  This device was perfect for it and now it's not!  I feel cheated and lied to.  I am NOT going to pay $30 each month to be able use it once in a while. Which in effect would be getting locked into a contract only without a term of course.  It just sucks they way they did this so soon after the launch.  I haven't even received my iPad yet and they already changed to plan!

55 of 68 (1,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2010 7:04:57 AM
(0)
Mentor

Well if that's the case then even ATT is lying because that's what they call it!  DUH!

It's a soft cap and you know it!

Well if that's the case then even ATT is lying because that's what they call it!  DUH!

It's a soft cap and you know it!

56 of 68 (1,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2010 7:07:37 AM
(0)
Mentor

Why would they when they can get $50 for 4 GB? *sarcasim

Why would they when they can get $50 for 4 GB? *sarcasim

57 of 68 (1,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2010 7:11:42 AM
(0)
Mentor

Why do people keep SPEWING this and still not get it

wilcre wrote:

It is not a bait and switch, ATTM is allowing you to keep the data plan you have as long as the service stays active, if the service is terminated in any way then when it is started again you have to pick from the current line up of service and features, it has always been like this for all wireless carriers, it is nothing new.

The views and opinion expressed herein are not necessarily those of anyperson, even containing that there of, of the message poster.

THAT IS NOT WHAT WAS ADVERTISED!

Let me state that again, THAT WAS NOT WHAT WAS ADVERTISIED!

Why do people keep SPEWING this and still not get it

wilcre wrote:

It is not a bait and switch, ATTM is allowing you to keep the data plan you have as long as the service stays active, if the service is terminated in any way then when it is started again you have to pick from the current line up of service and features, it has always been like this for all wireless carriers, it is nothing new.

The views and opinion expressed herein are not necessarily those of anyperson, even containing that there of, of the message poster.

THAT IS NOT WHAT WAS ADVERTISED!

Let me state that again, THAT WAS NOT WHAT WAS ADVERTISIED!

58 of 68 (1,068 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2010 2:33:16 PM
(0)
Teacher

Synergi  -- I have been reading all of your posts and this entire thread and while I definitely side with you, can you support your claims that Steve Jobs was offering this on & off type of service? 

What did you tell the BBB or whomever.  Do you have links, etc?  I am just curious how you can prove your impression of what you heard and back it up with fact.

Personally, although the iPad looked awesome (but like a big iPhone), I opted for a Netbook that I could lug around on vacations with me.  Not as beautiful for sure, but no contracts and not as expensive.  And I can create and consume.

iPad seemed really fishy to me from the start -- there are always snags with Apple products it seems.  I was a first adopter of the first iPhone at about $599 with a 2-year contract.  Within 2-3 months Apple changed it's pricing and we first adopters were quite furious!!!  How does Apple repay:  after some armtwisting they paid with a $100 (or near it) Apple gift certificate.  What can you really get from Apple for $100 and wouldn't the cash have been nice.

Apple leaves a lot of us griping and it's love -- hate.  I'm just really curious to see where you got your information and if it is written anywhere.  My sister got an iPad and I know she is probably using the heck out of it ... but I think consumers like her don't think about overages or what not.  She has money, she buys the new toy.  That's like a lot of Apple adopters.

Ok, I'm with you -- I just know Apple fans are defensive (I know, I am one of them).  And although I believe you, I would love to see where the information you report is documented.

Synergi  -- I have been reading all of your posts and this entire thread and while I definitely side with you, can you support your claims that Steve Jobs was offering this on & off type of service? 

What did you tell the BBB or whomever.  Do you have links, etc?  I am just curious how you can prove your impression of what you heard and back it up with fact.

Personally, although the iPad looked awesome (but like a big iPhone), I opted for a Netbook that I could lug around on vacations with me.  Not as beautiful for sure, but no contracts and not as expensive.  And I can create and consume.

iPad seemed really fishy to me from the start -- there are always snags with Apple products it seems.  I was a first adopter of the first iPhone at about $599 with a 2-year contract.  Within 2-3 months Apple changed it's pricing and we first adopters were quite furious!!!  How does Apple repay:  after some armtwisting they paid with a $100 (or near it) Apple gift certificate.  What can you really get from Apple for $100 and wouldn't the cash have been nice.

Apple leaves a lot of us griping and it's love -- hate.  I'm just really curious to see where you got your information and if it is written anywhere.  My sister got an iPad and I know she is probably using the heck out of it ... but I think consumers like her don't think about overages or what not.  She has money, she buys the new toy.  That's like a lot of Apple adopters.

Ok, I'm with you -- I just know Apple fans are defensive (I know, I am one of them).  And although I believe you, I would love to see where the information you report is documented.

59 of 68 (1,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2010 7:10:18 PM
(0)
Guru
I buy that tethering an iPhone can result in unexpected data consumption, but watching Netflix movies on an iPad was an advertised and acceptable usage. Steve Jobs was speaking about ATT's deal as their partner on a joint venture. ATT should be bound.
I buy that tethering an iPhone can result in unexpected data consumption, but watching Netflix movies on an iPad was an advertised and acceptable usage. Steve Jobs was speaking about ATT's deal as their partner on a joint venture. ATT should be bound.

60 of 68 (976 Views)