Ipad owners taken for a ride.

Mentor

Ipad owners taken for a ride.

The biggest problem I have with the data plan changes are because of the ipad.  A couple of months ago when Steve Jobs introduced he said users will have the prepaid option $30 for unlimited data & you could stop & start when needed.  Now the ipad 3G barely been released for a month & you change the plans.  Very bad business AT&T.

Message 1 of 68
Contributor

Re: Ipad owners taken for a ride.

I purchased an iPad with 3G so I could get the unlimited wireless.  The order was placed several weeks ago and the iPad is supposed to show up on Jun-9.  So now I can't get the unlimited 3G.  I guess someone lucked out because I'm taking the iPad straight back to Apple.  Why pay the extra money when I've been lied to.  I'll just wait for Verizon to come out with an iPad like device now.  Kiss my backside ATT and Apple.  Hello Verizon.

Message 2 of 68
Guru

Your going to be disappointed when Verizon changes their data plans to something similar to AT&T. Then it would be "Hello Sprint"?

Message 3 of 68
Scholar

If I remember correctly, tiered data plan has been in discussion since early this year (or was it late 2009?), long before the iPad was introduced. AT&T's main goal is to relieve their network from heavy data users so they introduced this new tiered plan. It's unfortunate that it happens after the iPad came out with unlimited data plan. To some of us, this sounds like a bait and switch scam.
Message 4 of 68
Mentor

morph2-7 wrote:
If I remember correctly, tiered data plan has been in discussion since early this year (or was it late 2009?), long before the iPad was introduced. AT&T's main goal is to relieve their network from heavy data users so they introduced this new tiered plan. It's unfortunate that it happens after the iPad came out with unlimited data plan. To some of us, this sounds like a bait and switch scam.

Well someone should have told Steve Jobs before he pitched his ipad & unlimited data plans to everyone.

Message 5 of 68
Scholar

There are not the frequency allocations to the wireless industry to permit unlimited data access.  Even if they grant an entire 100 MHz allocation, there isn't enough.  As these devices become more popular and more people use them, the demands on the bands will only increase.

The RF spectrum used is a resource and it is finite.  All the other carriers will eventually need to move to these types of plans.

Furthermore, it's not like the old AT&T plan was unlimited anyway.  If you consistently hit 5 gigabytes of data transfer per month or more, AT&T was likely to fire you as a customer.  The iPad has WIFI, I'm not seeing the problem here.

Some will argue that it is the principle of the matter.  Is it?  I routinely use less than 250 megabytes of data per month.  Is it fair that I pay the same amount as someone who wants to use 10 times the amount of data?  I think it's perfectly fair that those who use more, pay more given the scarcity of the resource.

Especially on AT&T, where 3G connectivity can be rather scarce.

Message 6 of 68
Mentor

zentec wrote:

The RF spectrum used is a resource and it is finite.  All the other carriers will eventually need to move to these types of plans.

Yeah but try telling that to the customer that just spent $130 more on his 3g ipad thinking he had a unlimited data option.

Message 7 of 68
Scholar

I agree with zentec. The new plan will hurt heavy data users the most. It's actually a better plan for low data users. Problem is, are we going to be able to check (on whatever device we're using) how much data we've been using? Will the "data usage" info be accurate? Will ATT notify us once we're close to that limit? Or will they silently charge us overage fee?

Message 8 of 68
Mentor

morph2-7 wrote:

I agree with zentec. The new plan will hurt heavy data users the most. It's actually a better plan for low data users. Problem is, are we going to be able to check (on whatever device we're using) how much data we've been using? Will the "data usage" info be accurate? Will ATT notify us once we're close to that limit? Or will they silently charge us overage fee?

AT&T will send out text messages when you hit 65% & 90% I believe.  I wish they would have data rollover(5GB max) or have free nights for data or something.  Then I believe it would be less complaining.   That 200 MB number was chosen for a reason.  I currently average 400MB per month.  So I would need the 2GB for $25.  To just save $5 I'll keep my unlimited plan.

Message 9 of 68
Guru

if you buy the ipad before Jun 7th, you can still keep the unlimited data option for it
if you buy AFTER Jun 7th, You HAVE to choose the new plans

Message 10 of 68
Tutor

For me, the problem with this plan revolves around the iPad.  The iPad WiFi + 3G has no real purpose anymore for people with both a smartphone and an iPad.  If the 3G network isn't meant to be used for web surfing, then what is it for?  Rare or emergency use when out of range of a WiFi hotspot?  If that's the case, then the smartphone will do just fine for that.

I performed a test on mine to see how much data going to a list of 8 blogs/news sites would consume.  One round of loading just the home page of each site used up 9 megs of data.  Couple this with mobile safari's tendency to rely on page refreshes and not caching and I will very easily break 2 gigs a month.  No video streaming, no internet radio, no e-mail - Just web browsing will break the new cap.

I don't know how they came up with 2 GB = 4000 page loads.  2 GB won't even get you 3000 page loads of AT&T's own front page.

So far as available spectrum goes, if they don't have the spectrum to support the iPad then they have no business being the exclusive carrier for it.  They want the benefits of exclusivity without being taken to task on actually being able to perform their role in the agreement.  They're entering into deals benefiting themselves with no realistic way to perform their function in the agreement or they're just not upgrading equipment - either way, it is very much their fault.

Message 11 of 68
Tutor

AGreed. This is a complete bait and switch. I bought the iPad for the ability to pick up and drop data as needed. I don't even get 3g here yet. I have no intentions of keeping a 30 dollar unlimited plan so I can keep that pricing while I have Edge. I've had an iPhone for 2 years and I'm still on edge. What has ATT been doing with all its iPhone money all this time?

The iPad was made not to create but to consume data. That's it. Good luck doing that with only 2gigs.

I plan to file a FCC complaint over it, not to mention the BBB. The 3G model was 130 dollars over the wifi model. Now I feel, well baited and switch.

I can't even return it. I've had it for 32 days which puts me outside of a return.  I was told unlimited and the ability to pick up and drop data as needed. That's what I want, or apple can pay the difference between my overages.

So much for ATT improving their image with customers. Word of mouth is worth far more then any advertising.

Message 12 of 68
Teacher

It sucks, but it is what it is.  You can keep the unlimited if you order the iPad before Jun 7.  They are going to grandfather in folks, even if you don't have your iPad yet.  I don't find I use the 3G a whole bunch, but I'm going to keep paying $30/month for unlimited anyway.  I'll keep my plan active and ensured it renewed before the 7th.

Message 13 of 68
Mentor

impaler wrote:

It sucks, but it is what it is.  You can keep the unlimited if you order the iPad before Jun 7.  They are going to grandfather in folks, even if you don't have your iPad yet.  I don't find I use the 3G a whole bunch, but I'm going to keep paying $30/month for unlimited anyway.  I'll keep my plan active and ensured it renewed before the 7th.

With the ipad 3g the attractive feature was if I go on vacation I can buy prepaid unlimited data just for that month I was going on vacation.  Now with the data plan I have to pay $30 each month if I want to keep unlimited.  So instead of just paying $30 for the 1 month I needed the data I'll be forced to $360 year round if I want to keep unlimited data basically locking ipad 3g users into a contract if they want unlimited data.

Message 14 of 68
Teacher

Yup, it sucks.  But it is what it is.

Message 15 of 68
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support