Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 5, 2010
12:16:22 PM
Ipad owners taken for a ride.

The biggest problem I have with the data plan changes are because of the ipad.  A couple of months ago when Steve Jobs introduced he said users will have the prepaid option $30 for unlimited data & you could stop & start when needed.  Now the ipad 3G barely been released for a month & you change the plans.  Very bad business AT&T.

The biggest problem I have with the data plan changes are because of the ipad.  A couple of months ago when Steve Jobs introduced he said users will have the prepaid option $30 for unlimited data & you could stop & start when needed.  Now the ipad 3G barely been released for a month & you change the plans.  Very bad business AT&T.

Ipad owners taken for a ride.

67 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(67)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2010 8:25:01 PM
(0)
Master
I don't mind the new data rate plans. When I get the iPad I'm sure I'll do just fine with the $25/2Gb plan. Smiley Happy
I don't mind the new data rate plans. When I get the iPad I'm sure I'll do just fine with the $25/2Gb plan. Smiley Happy

Re: Ipad owners taken for a ride.

61 of 68 (1,280 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2010 12:16:24 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by Caretaker on Jun 14, 2010 at 6:19:17 AM

I was promised that if I spent an additional $130 for a 3G enabled iPad, I would have the privilege of choosing a $15/month 250mb plan or a $30/month Unlimited Data plan.

I was promised that either of these plans were without a contract, and I was promised that I could start, and stop, either of these plans as needed.

Based on these advertised promises, I chose to purchase a 3G enabled iPad, and spent the additional $130 to enjoy the benefits advertised above. These benefits were, to me, an amazing selling point, especially the no contract and ability to start and stop 3G service as needed.

Now, after the purchase, I am told I no longer have the ability to start and stop 3G Unlimited Data service as needed. I am now locked into maintaining the $30 Unlimited Plan indefinitely, ($360 a year), and the very amazing reason I chose to buy the 3G enabled iPad, namely to start and stop Unlimited Data service as needed, is taken away.

To me this is a clear case of false advertising. I looked online, and found a law firm that may file a class action lawsuit against ATT. Their website is:

{ Please keep it spam free }

I am not looking for some monetary settlement, pain and suffering, etc. I am not asking for a dime. All I am asking for is that ATT honor their promises to those who purchased iPads based on what ATT promised in their advertising to those looking to buy an iPad.

Namely:

Honor your promise to me that I may start and stop either Unlimited Data for $30/Month, or start and stop 250MB of Data for $15/month.

ATT this is what you promised, and this is why I bought a 3G enabled iPad.

I was promised that if I spent an additional $130 for a 3G enabled iPad, I would have the privilege of choosing a $15/month 250mb plan or a $30/month Unlimited Data plan.

I was promised that either of these plans were without a contract, and I was promised that I could start, and stop, either of these plans as needed.

Based on these advertised promises, I chose to purchase a 3G enabled iPad, and spent the additional $130 to enjoy the benefits advertised above. These benefits were, to me, an amazing selling point, especially the no contract and ability to start and stop 3G service as needed.

Now, after the purchase, I am told I no longer have the ability to start and stop 3G Unlimited Data service as needed. I am now locked into maintaining the $30 Unlimited Plan indefinitely, ($360 a year), and the very amazing reason I chose to buy the 3G enabled iPad, namely to start and stop Unlimited Data service as needed, is taken away.

To me this is a clear case of false advertising. I looked online, and found a law firm that may file a class action lawsuit against ATT. Their website is:

{ Please keep it spam free }

I am not looking for some monetary settlement, pain and suffering, etc. I am not asking for a dime. All I am asking for is that ATT honor their promises to those who purchased iPads based on what ATT promised in their advertising to those looking to buy an iPad.

Namely:

Honor your promise to me that I may start and stop either Unlimited Data for $30/Month, or start and stop 250MB of Data for $15/month.

ATT this is what you promised, and this is why I bought a 3G enabled iPad.

[ Edited ]
62 of 68 (1,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2010 4:35:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T Slammed Me

I bought an iPad before the change in 3G plans and signed-up for the $30/month unlimited plan. This past weekend I received an e-mail from AT&T that my unlimited plan had been cancelled due to lack of use or by my request. I DID NOT cancel my 3G unlimited plan. I wanted to keep the unlimited plan. AT&T supervisors deny any knowledge of my account, even though they sent the e-mail message, and they kept my money.

See below:

AT&T Slammed Me

I bought an iPad before the change in 3G plans and signed-up for the $30/month unlimited plan. This past weekend I received an e-mail from AT&T that my unlimited plan had been cancelled due to lack of use or by my request. I DID NOT cancel my 3G unlimited plan. I wanted to keep the unlimited plan. AT&T supervisors deny any knowledge of my account, even though they sent the e-mail message, and they kept my money.

See below:

63 of 68 (1,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 5:33:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

You are correct, and the same thing happened to me, under a month after my iPad purchase. The ability to toggle unlimited data was the only reason I purchased the iPad, and now ATT will lose a customer with multiple iPhones, uverse service and an iPad over this once my uverse contract is up. I'll be switching back to comcast and getting clear data service with google voice and text4free which will enable me to operate both the iPhone and the iPad for $55/monthly with 3g and "4G" coverage from Clear. I didn't sign on for a $30/monthly plan that has to be paid every month in order to keep it. Also, they lie when they state that users need under 2gigs a month. Just last night I used a half gig to watch 1/3 of a netflix movie on the iPad. I only wish Clear still offered their ispot service for $25 because I'd jump on it right now even though I'm not in a "4g" area. The only thing that sucks is that I actually don't mind ATTs wireless service, I just don't like being screwed over. Now that I see that 2gigs won't get me through a week of netflix when I'm traveling, which is every 2 months for 1 week, I'm really upset. There's no way I will pay for unlimited service every month when I don't need it. I want what I was promised or I will rejoin comcast triple play and drop ATT wireless when my contracts are up.

You are correct, and the same thing happened to me, under a month after my iPad purchase. The ability to toggle unlimited data was the only reason I purchased the iPad, and now ATT will lose a customer with multiple iPhones, uverse service and an iPad over this once my uverse contract is up. I'll be switching back to comcast and getting clear data service with google voice and text4free which will enable me to operate both the iPhone and the iPad for $55/monthly with 3g and "4G" coverage from Clear. I didn't sign on for a $30/monthly plan that has to be paid every month in order to keep it. Also, they lie when they state that users need under 2gigs a month. Just last night I used a half gig to watch 1/3 of a netflix movie on the iPad. I only wish Clear still offered their ispot service for $25 because I'd jump on it right now even though I'm not in a "4g" area. The only thing that sucks is that I actually don't mind ATTs wireless service, I just don't like being screwed over. Now that I see that 2gigs won't get me through a week of netflix when I'm traveling, which is every 2 months for 1 week, I'm really upset. There's no way I will pay for unlimited service every month when I don't need it. I want what I was promised or I will rejoin comcast triple play and drop ATT wireless when my contracts are up.

64 of 68 (732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2011 8:00:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

stevemcmahon40 wrote:

... Also, they lie when they state that users need under 2gigs a month. Just last night I used a half gig to watch 1/3 of a netflix movie on the iPad. ...

Funny how that works,  I watched a couple hours of Netflix on my iPhone in the last week and I didn't use any cellular data to do it,  I did it all on wifi, which didn't use any of my cellular data plan...  I've had an iPhone for a little over 2.5 years now, and in my heaviest usage month, I only used 1.1GB of data.  Most months I'm below 700MB, and if you take that one month out of the picture, I've averaged about 450MB a month for that 2.5 years.  I don't even worry about my data usage, I just leave my wifi on all the time and use it when available just because it's faster, and I still don't use that much data in comparison to the way you make it sound that all customers will use their data plan...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

stevemcmahon40 wrote:

... Also, they lie when they state that users need under 2gigs a month. Just last night I used a half gig to watch 1/3 of a netflix movie on the iPad. ...

Funny how that works,  I watched a couple hours of Netflix on my iPhone in the last week and I didn't use any cellular data to do it,  I did it all on wifi, which didn't use any of my cellular data plan...  I've had an iPhone for a little over 2.5 years now, and in my heaviest usage month, I only used 1.1GB of data.  Most months I'm below 700MB, and if you take that one month out of the picture, I've averaged about 450MB a month for that 2.5 years.  I don't even worry about my data usage, I just leave my wifi on all the time and use it when available just because it's faster, and I still don't use that much data in comparison to the way you make it sound that all customers will use their data plan...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

65 of 68 (698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2011 3:35:56 AM
(0)
Professor

stevemcmahon40 wrote:

Also, they lie when they state that users need under 2gigs a month. Just last night I used a half gig to watch 1/3 of a netflix movie on the iPad.  Now that I see that 2gigs won't get me through a week of netflix when I'm traveling, which is every 2 months for 1 week, I'm really upset.

The solution here is to pick better hotels to stay in, one's that offer Wi-Fi.  As a benefit, streaming over Wi-Fi will almost always result in better quality.

stevemcmahon40 wrote:

I only wish Clear still offered their ispot service for $25 because I'd jump on it right now even though I'm not in a "4g" area.

That would not do you a lot of good as the iSpot only worked on the 4G network for clear, it would not revert back to 3G.

stevemcmahon40 wrote:

Also, they lie when they state that users need under 2gigs a month. Just last night I used a half gig to watch 1/3 of a netflix movie on the iPad.  Now that I see that 2gigs won't get me through a week of netflix when I'm traveling, which is every 2 months for 1 week, I'm really upset.

The solution here is to pick better hotels to stay in, one's that offer Wi-Fi.  As a benefit, streaming over Wi-Fi will almost always result in better quality.

stevemcmahon40 wrote:

I only wish Clear still offered their ispot service for $25 because I'd jump on it right now even though I'm not in a "4g" area.

That would not do you a lot of good as the iSpot only worked on the 4G network for clear, it would not revert back to 3G.

66 of 68 (671 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 12:39:57 PM
(0)
Former Moderator
Moved to new thread.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

67 of 68 (332 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2011 2:18:48 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

68 of 68 (334 Views)