Ipad data plan for iphone (no previous service)

Contributor

Ipad data plan for iphone (no previous service)

Is it possible to get the ipad data plan for an iphone?

I mean, I have a iphone currently without service and I was thinking that it would be very nice if I can just get the internet service on my iphone so that I can have internet everywhere I go. Since it is possible for the Ipad, could I get the same service on my iphone?

Thank You

Message 1 of 9 (1,190 Views)
Master

Re: Ipad data plan for iphone (no previous service)

[ Edited ]

chales wrote:

No, it is not. The iPhone data plan, and the iPad data plan's are separate.

Message 2 of 9 (1,170 Views)

chales wrote:

I mean, I have a iphone currently without service and I was thinking that it would be very nice if I can just get the internet service on my iphone so that I can have internet everywhere I go. Since it is possible for the Ipad, could I get the same service on my iphone?

Thank You

No, that's not possible because you need the iPhone Data Plan to access data from AT&T's network using a iPhone. However, because you already have a iPhone, you can go on AT&T's monthly service month-to-month without a contract because you already have the iPhone. You could just get a phone number, add the iPhone Data Plan (either $19.99 for the original iPhone or $29.99 for the iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS) and add the cheapest voice plan. You can also have AT&T block messaging to/from your iPhone so you won't encounter unwanted messaging charges and use a application to text. Add tax for the service and call that a activated iPhone on AT&T's network, plus you can make a few calls Smiley Wink Please note that the original version of the iPhone requires a two year contract upon activation.

Message 3 of 9 (1,165 Views)
Master

sonic11900 wrote:
Please note that the original version of the iPhone requires a two year contract upon activation.

The OP has their own iPhone, therefore the two year contract upon activation would not apply.

Message 4 of 9 (1,161 Views)

[ Edited ]

Irish Rose wrote:

sonic11900 wrote:
Please note that the original version of the iPhone requires a two year contract upon activation.

The OP has their own iPhone, therefore the two year contract upon activation would not apply.

Actually, you have to sign a two year contract to activate a original iPhone, while this is not true with the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3GS, it is required to activate a original iPhone.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1381

And yes, I understand the rules for the original iPhone are weird Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 9 (1,148 Views)
Contributor

Hi there,

Thank you for your response

You said I can get a data plan (internet) for the Iphone?  Does that mean that I don’t have to sign up for a calling plan if I don’t want to? Can I just get internet on my iphone?  

Message 6 of 9 (1,088 Views)
Professor

chales wrote:

Hi there,

You said I can get a data plan (internet) for the Iphone?  Does that mean that I don’t have to sign up for a calling plan if I don’t want to? Can I just get internet on my iphone?  

Unless you are Deaf and can provide legal/medical documentation to prove it, all iPhones must have a voice and data plan.

Message 7 of 9 (1,080 Views)
Master

sonic11900 wrote:

Actually, you have to sign a two year contract to activate a original iPhone, while this is not true with the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3GS, it is required to activate a original iPhone.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1381

And yes, I understand the rules for the original iPhone are weird Smiley Wink

Thanks, but the OP never stated which model iPhone that they have....... Btw, that is very weird, I would not want to put a two year contract on a phone like the 2G, let alone, be forced into signing one even though I am bringing in my own device.. But I guess, a policy, is a policy, no matter how unfair that it seems......

Message 8 of 9 (1,048 Views)
Master

chales wrote:

Hi there,

Your iPhone has WiFi, so you should be able to access the internet on it now via a WiFi connection without even needing a SIM card in it. However, if you want 3G data then the above post is correct, you will need a voice plan and a data plan to get AT7T service.

Message 9 of 9 (1,048 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.