Helpful Links

Ipad data plan for iphone (no previous service)

Contributor

Ipad data plan for iphone (no previous service)

Is it possible to get the ipad data plan for an iphone?

I mean, I have a iphone currently without service and I was thinking that it would be very nice if I can just get the internet service on my iphone so that I can have internet everywhere I go. Since it is possible for the Ipad, could I get the same service on my iphone?

Thank You

Message 1 of 9
Master

Re: Ipad data plan for iphone (no previous service)

chales wrote:

No, it is not. The iPhone data plan, and the iPad data plan's are separate.

Message 2 of 9

chales wrote:

I mean, I have a iphone currently without service and I was thinking that it would be very nice if I can just get the internet service on my iphone so that I can have internet everywhere I go. Since it is possible for the Ipad, could I get the same service on my iphone?

Thank You

No, that's not possible because you need the iPhone Data Plan to access data from AT&T's network using a iPhone. However, because you already have a iPhone, you can go on AT&T's monthly service month-to-month without a contract because you already have the iPhone. You could just get a phone number, add the iPhone Data Plan (either $19.99 for the original iPhone or $29.99 for the iPhone 3G/iPhone 3GS) and add the cheapest voice plan. You can also have AT&T block messaging to/from your iPhone so you won't encounter unwanted messaging charges and use a application to text. Add tax for the service and call that a activated iPhone on AT&T's network, plus you can make a few calls Smiley Wink Please note that the original version of the iPhone requires a two year contract upon activation.

Message 3 of 9
Master

sonic11900 wrote:
Please note that the original version of the iPhone requires a two year contract upon activation.

The OP has their own iPhone, therefore the two year contract upon activation would not apply.

Message 4 of 9

Irish Rose wrote:

sonic11900 wrote:
Please note that the original version of the iPhone requires a two year contract upon activation.

The OP has their own iPhone, therefore the two year contract upon activation would not apply.

Actually, you have to sign a two year contract to activate a original iPhone, while this is not true with the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3GS, it is required to activate a original iPhone.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1381

And yes, I understand the rules for the original iPhone are weird Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 9
Contributor

Hi there,

Thank you for your response

You said I can get a data plan (internet) for the Iphone?  Does that mean that I don’t have to sign up for a calling plan if I don’t want to? Can I just get internet on my iphone?  

Message 6 of 9
Professor

chales wrote:

Hi there,

You said I can get a data plan (internet) for the Iphone?  Does that mean that I don’t have to sign up for a calling plan if I don’t want to? Can I just get internet on my iphone?  

Unless you are Deaf and can provide legal/medical documentation to prove it, all iPhones must have a voice and data plan.

Message 7 of 9
Master

sonic11900 wrote:

Actually, you have to sign a two year contract to activate a original iPhone, while this is not true with the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3GS, it is required to activate a original iPhone.

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1381

And yes, I understand the rules for the original iPhone are weird Smiley Wink

Thanks, but the OP never stated which model iPhone that they have....... Btw, that is very weird, I would not want to put a two year contract on a phone like the 2G, let alone, be forced into signing one even though I am bringing in my own device.. But I guess, a policy, is a policy, no matter how unfair that it seems......

Message 8 of 9
Master

chales wrote:

Hi there,

Your iPhone has WiFi, so you should be able to access the internet on it now via a WiFi connection without even needing a SIM card in it. However, if you want 3G data then the above post is correct, you will need a voice plan and a data plan to get AT7T service.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support