Ipad Stolen in South Florida

Contributor

Ipad Stolen in South Florida

I had a ipad1 stolen out of a hotel room in West Palm Beach. I was able to data wipe it. However, Apple says that if anyone finds it, they can just hook it up to an itunes account and away they go. They apparently will not freeze the serial number.

I cancelled my AAT account for that device. So if someone trys to initiate 3G service with that serial number, can they use the device? I guess the question is, does ATT block stolen items? Even if I have the original receipt and police report? How does ATT handle this?

Message 1 of 4 (860 Views)
Guru

Re: Ipad Stolen in South Florida

Look over in the iPhone forum.  Apple basically doesn't care which is a disgrace.  See if the police department will subpoena the information on the person attempting to register the unit. 

Message 2 of 4 (847 Views)
Professor

Just like any other personal property, it's not up to the manufacturer to keep your device secure or to keep the thief from using it. Once you pay for it, it becomes your responsibility.

Message 3 of 4 (833 Views)
Employee

at&t like most carriers don't block devices when reported lost/stolen. it would be a nightmare if they did because you could say it's stolen if you sold it to someone and now it's a brick.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 4 (794 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.