Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 16, 2011
8:50:07 PM
Invalid SIM card message

When I put my prepaid sim card in my blackberry I get an "invalid sim card" message. I called customer service and the lady insisted I couldn't use a phone that was previously used with a plan. I know that isn't correct however I still have no idea how to get this sim to work in my bb.........PLEASE HELP ME

When I put my prepaid sim card in my blackberry I get an "invalid sim card" message. I called customer service and the lady insisted I couldn't use a phone that was previously used with a plan. I know that isn't correct however I still have no idea how to get this sim to work in my bb.........PLEASE HELP ME

Invalid SIM card message

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 5:04:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you obtained the SIM card as part of a GoPhone package during the last couple of years, it's likely the SIM is "locked" to the phone it was purchased/activated with.  Contact customer service again - hopefully a different rep will be more knowledgeable and/or forthright re: the issue.  Customer service can (and usually seems to be willing to) unlock the SIM so that it can be used in an alternate device.  (I'm assuming your Blackberry is either an at&t device or that it is unlocked?)

An alternate route if you don't have success with customer service is to visit your local Corporate store and just tell them you need a new SIM, provisioned with your existing prepaid account information, phone number, and balance.  If they try to charge you for the replacement SIM, you should be able to avoid the fee by adding funds to your account while in the store.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

If you obtained the SIM card as part of a GoPhone package during the last couple of years, it's likely the SIM is "locked" to the phone it was purchased/activated with.  Contact customer service again - hopefully a different rep will be more knowledgeable and/or forthright re: the issue.  Customer service can (and usually seems to be willing to) unlock the SIM so that it can be used in an alternate device.  (I'm assuming your Blackberry is either an at&t device or that it is unlocked?)

An alternate route if you don't have success with customer service is to visit your local Corporate store and just tell them you need a new SIM, provisioned with your existing prepaid account information, phone number, and balance.  If they try to charge you for the replacement SIM, you should be able to avoid the fee by adding funds to your account while in the store.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Invalid SIM card message

2 of 5 (8,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 11:20:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you, calling customer service back didn't do any good. This time I was told there is not an option to unlock my sim card. She said my only option is to buy a new sim card that isn't locked and have them transfer my number to it. That's a bunch a crap.........I just bought this card 2 weeks ago.

Thank you, calling customer service back didn't do any good. This time I was told there is not an option to unlock my sim card. She said my only option is to buy a new sim card that isn't locked and have them transfer my number to it. That's a bunch a crap.........I just bought this card 2 weeks ago.

3 of 5 (8,767 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 4:20:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Aug 18, 2011 at 4:24:07 AM

Sorry to hear that.  Did you buy the card as part of a GoPhone package?  With a phone?  And where did you purchase it - from an at&t Coporate store?  at&t on-line?

If it were me, I'd probably still try customer service another time or two before taking a different approach - but that's just me.  Many times it seems to just be the luck of the draw in who happens to take your call. Smiley Sad  And I've found the store personnel even less helpful to deal with re: at&t's prepaid service.  If you obtain another SIM from a store, make certain they don't just pull it out of a GoPhone package; they need to use a stock SIM, provisioned with your existing account information.  Another approach is to obtain a new unactivated SIM from eBay, etc. and have customer service activate it to your existing account.

:And just to be certain - your Blackberry wasn't previously used with an old ATTWS "Blue" plan was it?  If so, it's possible it is locked to the Blue network and would need to be subsidy unlocked in order to use an "Orange" at&t SIM.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Sorry to hear that.  Did you buy the card as part of a GoPhone package?  With a phone?  And where did you purchase it - from an at&t Coporate store?  at&t on-line?

If it were me, I'd probably still try customer service another time or two before taking a different approach - but that's just me.  Many times it seems to just be the luck of the draw in who happens to take your call. Smiley Sad  And I've found the store personnel even less helpful to deal with re: at&t's prepaid service.  If you obtain another SIM from a store, make certain they don't just pull it out of a GoPhone package; they need to use a stock SIM, provisioned with your existing account information.  Another approach is to obtain a new unactivated SIM from eBay, etc. and have customer service activate it to your existing account.

:And just to be certain - your Blackberry wasn't previously used with an old ATTWS "Blue" plan was it?  If so, it's possible it is locked to the Blue network and would need to be subsidy unlocked in order to use an "Orange" at&t SIM.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (8,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 5:03:49 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by OnlytheShadowKnows on Aug 18, 2011 at 5:10:29 AM

ashleyraye wrote:

As hme83 correctly pointed out (he always does!), it could be your phone and not the SIM which is defective:

1. Try the prepaid SIM on another cellphone which you may have access to.  If it works, then it is the BB, right?
  2. If it is the BB, browse your device menues to see if it is network locked.  This is not difficult to do, but it is hidden as a "Mobile Equipment Personalization" (MEP) sub-menu under the SIM menu.  It depends on model of BB on "How to unveil the hidden MEP submenu?"  For examples on "How To?", GOTO:http://www.mobile2mobile.net/Unlock_codes/blackberry.html
  3. If all of the above is good-to-go, then it could also be that the SIM was not seated properly (ie the gold contacts were not making proper contact).  Check for dirt, and if so, clean the gold contacts with an eraser to secure the SIM contacts properly to the system board.

BTW, if you find that the BlackBerry is locked, you can unlock it by code using eBay for less than one dollar ($.99 is the oging rate) I have bought unlocks for two BlackBerries, and one Moto, with no issues as long as you buy from listings with >99.6% feedback.

If all of the above fails, then procure an unactivated AT&T SIM on eBay (couple of bucks with free shipping) and activate it under http://wireless.att.com/activations selecting the GoPhone Plan (check it out, now, from your desktop to get a feel for what is required), where you will be able to assign your old number to the new SIM.

And, if you activate via the web, you do not need to go to the corporate retail store and deal with knuckle-dragging sales assistants, which make no commission off prepaid (they probably get demerits *grin*), and thus have little incentive to help your cause, unless they are really friendly (or you are really nice looking to the assistant *grin*).

Good luck.

ashleyraye wrote:

As hme83 correctly pointed out (he always does!), it could be your phone and not the SIM which is defective:

1. Try the prepaid SIM on another cellphone which you may have access to.  If it works, then it is the BB, right?
  2. If it is the BB, browse your device menues to see if it is network locked.  This is not difficult to do, but it is hidden as a "Mobile Equipment Personalization" (MEP) sub-menu under the SIM menu.  It depends on model of BB on "How to unveil the hidden MEP submenu?"  For examples on "How To?", GOTO:http://www.mobile2mobile.net/Unlock_codes/blackberry.html
  3. If all of the above is good-to-go, then it could also be that the SIM was not seated properly (ie the gold contacts were not making proper contact).  Check for dirt, and if so, clean the gold contacts with an eraser to secure the SIM contacts properly to the system board.

BTW, if you find that the BlackBerry is locked, you can unlock it by code using eBay for less than one dollar ($.99 is the oging rate) I have bought unlocks for two BlackBerries, and one Moto, with no issues as long as you buy from listings with >99.6% feedback.

If all of the above fails, then procure an unactivated AT&T SIM on eBay (couple of bucks with free shipping) and activate it under http://wireless.att.com/activations selecting the GoPhone Plan (check it out, now, from your desktop to get a feel for what is required), where you will be able to assign your old number to the new SIM.

And, if you activate via the web, you do not need to go to the corporate retail store and deal with knuckle-dragging sales assistants, which make no commission off prepaid (they probably get demerits *grin*), and thus have little incentive to help your cause, unless they are really friendly (or you are really nice looking to the assistant *grin*).

Good luck.

[ Edited ]
5 of 5 (8,756 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments