Internet button is too easy to hit...charges applied.

Highlighted
Contributor

Internet button is too easy to hit...charges applied.

We have been having trouble with accidently accessing the Internet by pushing the Internet Access button.  Why couldn't there be another step in order to access the Internet, so this accidental accessing could be avoided?  Another solution could be, a time grace period before charges are applied.  Hope you can get this problem solved so we don't have this accidental billing charge.  Thanks, lespunhappy.

Message 1 of 5 (680 Views)
Master

Re: Internet button is too easy to hit...charges applied.

I will admit, it's a very poor design on many feature phones. The phone manufacturers probably think it's a convenient feature having the browser button so easy to access, but in reality, it's not.

You could block data on the phone line so you will not keep getting charged $2 data fees, but that would disable your ability to send and receive MMS messages.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 5 (668 Views)
ACE - Expert

Wild Banchi wrote:
I will admit, it's a very poor design on many feature phones. The phone manufacturers probably think it's a convenient feature having the browser button so easy to access, but in reality, it's not.

You could block data on the phone line so you will not keep getting charged $2 data fees, but that would disable your ability to send and receive MMS messages.

Actually, it is not the manufacturer's fault, this is AT&T modification to the default firmware. I remember having an SE Z750 that came with one of the buttons hard-wired to launch the browser, that association disappeared as soon as I flashed it with unbranded firmware and the button became configurable (it was not in AT&T version). I'm pretty sure it was specifically requested by AT&T to help them sell data plans -- a lot more people will choose to add a data plan to avoid these charges than will choose to ask for a data block.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5 (662 Views)
Professor

Another option you could try would be to go to the network settings and screw up the server settings so that the internet is not accessable.
Message 4 of 5 (656 Views)
Master

dmapr wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

Actually, it is not the manufacturer's fault, this is AT&T modification to the default firmware. I remember having an SE Z750 that came with one of the buttons hard-wired to launch the browser, that association disappeared as soon as I flashed it with unbranded firmware and the button became configurable (it was not in AT&T version). I'm pretty sure it was specifically requested by AT&T to help them sell data plans -- a lot more people will choose to add a data plan to avoid these charges than will choose to ask for a data block.

Yes, I figured that AT&T would have had a partnership with the manufacturers to design the browser button in an easily accessible spot. Just another way for AT&T to find a way to charge customers... Smiley Indifferent

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 5 (651 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.