Inspire won't stop vibrating

Teacher

Inspire won't stop vibrating

In the middle of the night last night while I was sleeping, my HTC Inspire started vibrating and wouldn't stop - even when I turned it off.  I had to take out the battery to get it to stop.  While it was on, I even tried to turn it on silent, turn of any vibration settings, but nothing worked except taking out the battery.

Today I have searched online and it seems when phones do this it is because of water damage.  I just checked my phone, and it does show water damage.  However, I've NEVER dropped mine in liquid or spilled anything on it.  Plus, it started doing the vibrating in the middle of the night while I was sleeping and it had been setting on my night stand. 

I've had it 5 weeks so there's not a chance of exchanging it even if they would overlook the red damage sticker (even though I have never had it in liquid of any sort).  I just read the HTC warranty pamphlet that comes with the phone, and it states that there are no coverage/benefits if the phone has had exposure to moisture or dampness.

Has anyone else had this problem and been able to correct it?  Am I out of luck?  I'm hoping to find some type of solution, because there's NO WAY I can afford to buy another one out of contract.  I did get it from Amazon Wireless, and Amazon is better than most companies when dealing with customer service issues, so I'm hoping they will still exchange it even though it's been over 30 days by about a week.

Message 1 of 9
Professor

Re: Inspire won't stop vibrating

I have no idea if Amazon handles things differently.  But normally, warranty issues go to HTC.  And if they see the moisture damage indicators have turned color, they won't touch it, and they will send it back to you.  HTC will NOT overlook the moisture damage stickers.  Its one of the first things they look at, and they are strict about this policy.

You're not the first person that has had the stickers change color, despite having no obvious exposure to moisture.  I've seen this posted here and elsewhere before.  Is it possible the phone was exposed to high humidity/condensation?

If for some reason the phone is misbehaving due to moisture damage, one thing to try is to take the battery out and let the phone dry completely for a couple day.  Some people swear by the trick of putting the phone in a plastic bag full of uncooked rice.  The theory is that the starch from the rice will absorb all the moisture in the air around it. I know you said you didn't spill any liquid on the phone.  But at this point, it can't hurt.

Message 2 of 9
Teacher

The most moisture it could have been exposed to was just basically being in the house and in my purse/tote bag.    This makes me sick that I will either have to go back to using my old, regular phone or fork out $400 to $500 to replace it (which I don't have).

I guess it's taught me a lesson that I should get my phones through AT&T (even though it's more expensive) and take out the insurance plan. 

Amazon has responded and no luck there.  They told me to contact AT&T.  I'm sure they would tell me to go to HTC.    I will have to try the rice thing when I get home.  I had the battery out all night and during the morning at work, I've had it out and had the phone and battery setting under a lamp.

Bad thing is that I just upped my data plan on Friday because of how much I had been using it with the Incredible.  Argh!!!  Sorry to complain so much, but this is just added on to all of the issues I've been having over the last few weeks --- lighting hit my phone line at home and I had to get my satellite receiver replaced and home phone/internet still having issues, problems with both of my lawn mowers, electric went out for a couple of days, my dog (under 30 pounds) broke a window when she slammed into it to chase a cat out of the yard, and now my phone.  Ugh!

Thanks for your advice.  I will try the rice thing and hopefully in a couple of days things will look brighter.  (Somebody told me a little while ago to play the lottery because my luck was bound to change.)

Message 3 of 9
Teacher

One quick (and maybe stupid) question --- when I put the phone in the rice, do I leave off the battery and sim card covers and stick it in like that so that the rice actually goes inside those compartments?

Message 4 of 9
Professor

Yikes, sorry to here you've had such bad luck lately!

I'd leave the battery cover on when you put it in the bag of rice.  I don't think you want the rice getting into places it doesn't belong.  And under a lamp (like you mentioned), or other warm (not too hot) place is a good idea also.  I've heard the top of the refrigerator mentioned.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 9

I would leave everything as open as possible, but carefully place the phone in with the rice, so it stays on top. Shaking it up could get some rice dust in the phone, which would be bad. So as gently as you can I would just let it rest on top of the rice.

Message 6 of 9

This rice trick works.

Also, if you have one of the ZipLoc Vacuum type bags, put the rice and phone in there and then get the air out as much as possible.  Leave it in for several days.  Do not put the battery in the bag.

Message 7 of 9
Professor

I knew there would be some rice bag experienced folks on here!    :-)

Message 8 of 9
Teacher

I was planning to put it in the rice as soon as I got home from work this evening.  However, I work in the environmental industry, and somebody with one of the labs here just gave me some dessicant to use.  I put the phone in a thin, canvas-type bag and then put it into a ziploc bag with the dessicant and set it in my car for heat from the sun.  Now the rough part will be making myself wait for at least a couple days.  I'm crossing my fingers!!!

Message 9 of 9
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support