Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 14, 2011
7:52:10 AM
Inspire 4G - Thank You So Much AT&T Day Support (can't wait for contract to end)
I recently contacted AT&T Support because of a location where I had 3-4 bars on the signal strength indicator but I was getting consistent very low data rates (70 to 900 kbps down and 35 to 170 kbps up). At other locations I was getting 3000+ kbps down and 1800+ kbps up. The guy I spoke with, from the beginning treated this as a problem with the phone. When in his troubleshooting chart he reached the point where you check the software versions he stated that he cannot go any further until I do a factory reset and install the latest system update available for my phone. I finally broke down and did the update even though I heard of others having various problems with it. Well... Now the updated radio has less sensitivity. I am getting no signal in areas where I used to get low signal. Probably this is the reason for decreased battery life. My disconnects have increased substantially to the point where over half of my calls get dropped. Now, what's the fix? HTC said that I can send in the phone and they can put back the version it was sold with. I'll be without the phone for several days and I stand a good chance to get a refurbished device in place of my phone which I treated with gloves. Or I can go to XDA Developers and in the process probably void the warranty. Thank you so much, AT&T. Cannot wait for the contract to end.
I recently contacted AT&T Support because of a location where I had 3-4 bars on the signal strength indicator but I was getting consistent very low data rates (70 to 900 kbps down and 35 to 170 kbps up). At other locations I was getting 3000+ kbps down and 1800+ kbps up. The guy I spoke with, from the beginning treated this as a problem with the phone. When in his troubleshooting chart he reached the point where you check the software versions he stated that he cannot go any further until I do a factory reset and install the latest system update available for my phone. I finally broke down and did the update even though I heard of others having various problems with it. Well... Now the updated radio has less sensitivity. I am getting no signal in areas where I used to get low signal. Probably this is the reason for decreased battery life. My disconnects have increased substantially to the point where over half of my calls get dropped. Now, what's the fix? HTC said that I can send in the phone and they can put back the version it was sold with. I'll be without the phone for several days and I stand a good chance to get a refurbished device in place of my phone which I treated with gloves. Or I can go to XDA Developers and in the process probably void the warranty. Thank you so much, AT&T. Cannot wait for the contract to end.

Inspire 4G - Thank You So Much AT&T Day Support (can't wait for contract to end)

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2011 6:56:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Fuzzy John wrote:
I recently contacted AT&T Support because of a location where I had 3-4 bars on the signal strength indicator but I was getting consistent very low data rates (70 to 900 kbps down and 35 to 170 kbps up). At other locations I was getting 3000+ kbps down and 1800+ kbps up.

Signal strength is independent of data speed.  Of course, really poor signal means you will probably get slow or no data.  But you can have good signal strength and still have slow data, if the network is congested.  Since you mentioned you get faster speeds in other locations, network congestion was probably the cause.

Fuzzy John wrote:
 Or I can go to XDA Developers and in the process probably void the warranty.

Warranty is only void if you try to send the phone in for service in rooted condition and with a custom ROM.  People have had success returning their phones to stock condition before sending the phone in for service, if that is ever needed. Rooting and flashing ROMs has its risks.  But really, the risk is low, and in your case it seems like it may be a good option (to rollback to the shipped ROM, load a custom ROM, or change radios).

Fuzzy John wrote:
I recently contacted AT&T Support because of a location where I had 3-4 bars on the signal strength indicator but I was getting consistent very low data rates (70 to 900 kbps down and 35 to 170 kbps up). At other locations I was getting 3000+ kbps down and 1800+ kbps up.

Signal strength is independent of data speed.  Of course, really poor signal means you will probably get slow or no data.  But you can have good signal strength and still have slow data, if the network is congested.  Since you mentioned you get faster speeds in other locations, network congestion was probably the cause.

Fuzzy John wrote:
 Or I can go to XDA Developers and in the process probably void the warranty.

Warranty is only void if you try to send the phone in for service in rooted condition and with a custom ROM.  People have had success returning their phones to stock condition before sending the phone in for service, if that is ever needed. Rooting and flashing ROMs has its risks.  But really, the risk is low, and in your case it seems like it may be a good option (to rollback to the shipped ROM, load a custom ROM, or change radios).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Inspire 4G - Thank You So Much AT&T Day Support (can't wait for contract to end)

2 of 3 (378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2011 11:45:43 AM
(0)
Professor

Fuzzy John wrote:

If you did the OTA upgrade, that could be part of the problem. I am surprised that the OTA option was offered with this major upgrade, since it doesn't wipe user data. I would try another hard reset now that you have installed the new software. After that is complete, remove the battery for a few minutes, reinsert, and restart. If this doesn't improve things, then sadly, the radio may have not flashed properly during the upgrade process. The upgrade does install a different radio. Your options would be to do the warranty exchange or root the phone and take care of it yourself. Rooting would likely void the remainder of the warranty, although you could always return to stock to get that back.

Fuzzy John wrote:

If you did the OTA upgrade, that could be part of the problem. I am surprised that the OTA option was offered with this major upgrade, since it doesn't wipe user data. I would try another hard reset now that you have installed the new software. After that is complete, remove the battery for a few minutes, reinsert, and restart. If this doesn't improve things, then sadly, the radio may have not flashed properly during the upgrade process. The upgrade does install a different radio. Your options would be to do the warranty exchange or root the phone and take care of it yourself. Rooting would likely void the remainder of the warranty, although you could always return to stock to get that back.

Re: Inspire 4G - Thank You So Much AT&T Day Support (can't wait for contract to end)

3 of 3 (351 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments