Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 22, 2011
1:18:24 PM
View profile
Inspire 4G. Gingerbread ROM. HotSpot & Tethering NOT FUNCTIONING. Mexican Carrier.

I own an unlocked Inspire 4G that I acquired with Expansys to brought back to Mexico with a local carrier (Telcel). My phone was working very good until applied the latest ROM update (gingerbread). Every time I try to use the tethering or Wi-Fi HotSpot I get a message saying that I need to call AT&T to activate those functions. I don't have an AT&T account. I have an unlimited data plan with my carrier. I asked support to HTC and they referred me to you to help me unlock the phone or downgrade the ROM version to the one released on 04.29.2011 that has no problem.

I own an unlocked Inspire 4G that I acquired with Expansys to brought back to Mexico with a local carrier (Telcel). My phone was working very good until applied the latest ROM update (gingerbread). Every time I try to use the tethering or Wi-Fi HotSpot I get a message saying that I need to call AT&T to activate those functions. I don't have an AT&T account. I have an unlimited data plan with my carrier. I asked support to HTC and they referred me to you to help me unlock the phone or downgrade the ROM version to the one released on 04.29.2011 that has no problem.

Inspire 4G. Gingerbread ROM. HotSpot & Tethering NOT FUNCTIONING. Mexican Carrier.

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 22, 2011 5:22:21 PM
(0)
Scholar

I'm no expert but sounds to me that your mexican wireless service must have a deal with at&t when you are away from Mexico and you have to have a tethering plan with at&t. However, that really shouldn't make a difference. Other than bit of lack of wisdom, I have little to offer. You could also try Android Central ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/ ) or phandroid ( http://androidforums.com/ ). They know a lot about unlocking phones. I'm at&t and have my phone insured so I find it beneficial to know nothing about unlocking phones. Smiley Happy

I'm no expert but sounds to me that your mexican wireless service must have a deal with at&t when you are away from Mexico and you have to have a tethering plan with at&t. However, that really shouldn't make a difference. Other than bit of lack of wisdom, I have little to offer. You could also try Android Central ( http://forums.androidcentral.com/ ) or phandroid ( http://androidforums.com/ ). They know a lot about unlocking phones. I'm at&t and have my phone insured so I find it beneficial to know nothing about unlocking phones. Smiley Happy

Re: Inspire 4G. Gingerbread ROM. HotSpot & Tethering NOT FUNCTIONING. Mexican Carrier.

2 of 5 (2,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2011 1:27:27 AM
(0)
Contributor
i have the same problem here. I'm in India and i bought an unlocked HTC inspire 4g. and am able to use it on any carriers that does not have any contract with at&t... Ever thing was working perfectly until i upgraded to the latest version which is Gingerbread 2.3.3. I tried enabling my tethering using wifi hotspot and USB but it keeps referring me at&t to enable tethering for me but since am not a subscriber with that network there was no success. I suppose they should have a different for us that aren't their subscribers
i have the same problem here. I'm in India and i bought an unlocked HTC inspire 4g. and am able to use it on any carriers that does not have any contract with at&t... Ever thing was working perfectly until i upgraded to the latest version which is Gingerbread 2.3.3. I tried enabling my tethering using wifi hotspot and USB but it keeps referring me at&t to enable tethering for me but since am not a subscriber with that network there was no success. I suppose they should have a different for us that aren't their subscribers

Re: Inspire 4G. Gingerbread ROM. HotSpot & Tethering NOT FUNCTIONING. Mexican Carrier.

3 of 5 (2,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2011 8:45:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Aug 23, 2011 at 8:47:58 AM

lpudas wrote:

I'm no expert but sounds to me that your mexican wireless service must have a deal with at&t when you are away from Mexico and you have to have a tethering plan with at&t.

That is not what is happening.  The Inspire's ROM is rigged to only allow tethering (and WiFi hotspot is also a form of tethering) if you have an AT&T tethering plan.  Tethering traffic is sent to a different APN than other data traffic.  Since you don't have access to AT&T's APN, the error message results.

Try getting PDANet or Easy Tether from the market, and see if you can use those to get tethering up and running (only while using an unlocked Inspire on a foreign network, of course).

The other option (although a bit more work) is to root and flash the stock Desire HD ROM, or a custom ROM, to ditch AT&T's limitations and bloatware.  But read up on the process, and know the risks before you start.

lpudas wrote:

I'm no expert but sounds to me that your mexican wireless service must have a deal with at&t when you are away from Mexico and you have to have a tethering plan with at&t.

That is not what is happening.  The Inspire's ROM is rigged to only allow tethering (and WiFi hotspot is also a form of tethering) if you have an AT&T tethering plan.  Tethering traffic is sent to a different APN than other data traffic.  Since you don't have access to AT&T's APN, the error message results.

Try getting PDANet or Easy Tether from the market, and see if you can use those to get tethering up and running (only while using an unlocked Inspire on a foreign network, of course).

The other option (although a bit more work) is to root and flash the stock Desire HD ROM, or a custom ROM, to ditch AT&T's limitations and bloatware.  But read up on the process, and know the risks before you start.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (2,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 23, 2011 9:42:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

See message to me. Maybe it will hgelp.

See message to me. Maybe it will hgelp.

5 of 5 (2,720 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments