Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Insane data usage with the new iPhone 4s

Teacher

Insane data usage with the new iPhone 4s

I have switched to the new iPhone 4s for me and the wife ..from the iPhone 4 .. In one month the amount of data that these phone are reporting are insane .i have been on the phone with every tec from apple and AT&T ..with no resolution .and yes every service is shut down on both phones ..their is a problem that no one has admitted or found ..I have never went over my min or data in 8 yrs that I have been with AT&T their is also another discussion on the apple forums with the same issues and all of them are AT&T phones ..please AT&T find and fix this problem I really don't want to switch to another company
Message 1 of 90
Teacher

Re: Insane data usage with the new iPhone 4s

Ohh and it's not a teir 5 a leval 5 ..witch is from the apple engerneairs dept..I really wish you kids would stop using your parents computers and stay off these forums
Message 16 of 90

Kajphotos wrote:

Never said that it was unlimited ..read the post it clearly say thay upgraded my plane .these forums are to help each other and make sure us as costermers are protected ..and af far as all of your negative input is totally un called for ..I have way better things to do then make this up ... I'm just posting from my experance I have been with AT&T since 2002 .. And if you take a moment and follow the apple link that I posted you will see what I'm talking about .. Ohh let me quess that is all made up too .do us all a favor keep your negativity to your self ..

Not sure if you were responding to me, but I think you misunderstood my post which is not at all intended to be negative in any way. I was responding to jmack42042 who said "There is no unlimited data plan with AT&T "

I'm not a negative person by nature. I'm more a happy, positive person and I replied to jmack saying that the unlimited data plan still exists for those that are grandfathered into it.

Sorry, if you misunderstood Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 90
Expert

@Kajphotos wrote:
Ohh and it's not a teir 5 a leval 5 ..witch is from the apple engerneairs dept..I really wish you kids would stop using your parents computers and stay off these forums

1. Apple IOS engineers are not "level 5"

2. nor do they reference themselves as such when they call you.

3. Nor do they "conference call" an issue.

4. Nor is the issue carrier specific, it has been reported on the developer forums with other carriers

If you take a few minutes to research the issue more diligently you will see it is being reported in a minor way on a small number of phones, from 3GS, 4 and 4S.  There is a very interesting thread going on at one of the European carriers discussing this issue.

Message 18 of 90
Teacher

Sorry kitty007 .. Yea I misunderstood
Message 19 of 90
Teacher

I really wish I could name the names of those I spoke to in question on both ends .and post the case # frome AT&T and apple but that wont be too smart off me ...and just because it has never happened to you DOSENT mean that the issue at hand has not happen to me or any one else .. All I can say it is a issue that has been going on and has impacted many AT&T costermers ..and also I can say a huge thank you to AT&T & APPLE for calling me and AT&T for doing what they did for me ..and as for you WINGRIDER01 ....you should know that every one has differnt issues and experiences in life ..{please keep it courteous} ..it's ones like you that will cause a huge problem to go away instead of gutting it fixed

Message 20 of 90
Expert

@Kajphotos wrote:
I really wish I could name the names of those I spoke to in question on both ends .and post the case # frome AT&T and apple but that wont be too smart off me ...and just because it has never happened to you DOSENT mean that the issue at hand has not happen to me or any one else .. All I can say it is a issue that has been going on and has impacted many AT&T costermers ..and also I can say a huge thank you to AT&T & APPLE for calling me and AT&T for doing what they did for me ..and as for you WINGRIDER01 .  ...you should know that every one has differnt issues and experiences in life ..{please keep it courteous} ..it's ones like you that will cause a huge problem to go away instead of gutting it fixed

considering one of the departments in my company develops specialized vertical market applications for multiple wireless devices - including but not limited to Iphones, ipads and android based systems, can pretty much suspect that we have dealt with the IOS development team aka  "level 5" support a lot more often then you have.

Message 21 of 90
Guru

@wingrider01 wrote:

@Kajphotos wrote:

1. Apple IOS engineers are not "level 5"

2. nor do they reference themselves as such when they call you.

3. Nor do they "conference call" an issue.

4. Nor is the issue carrier specific, it has been reported on the developer forums with other carriers

If you take a few minutes to research the issue more diligently you will see it is being reported in a minor way on a small number of phones, from 3GS, 4 and 4S.  There is a very interesting thread going on at one of the European carriers discussing this issue.

Well whatever it is, OP apparently had a 3-way conversation with two other parties...not unless you're insinuating that OP is making the whole thing up.  Even if OP might have mixed up some of his facts, the main point remains that OP is having an issue with his phone--I mean, why are (some) people making more of a deal over whether OP did or didn't talk to someone who may or may not have addressed him/herself as a  "Tier" or "Level" 5  Apple support person, rather than about the issue for which OP created this thread in the first place?

Message 22 of 90
Teacher

That was well said .. Tonester ! That is the point I'm trying to address I have a lot better things to to then to make this stuff up ..I love all my iPhones that I have had and love AT&T ..it just one off those things that has came about and I'm not the only one ..all I tride to do is help others that might go through this ...
Message 23 of 90
ACE - Expert

So, in following this thread there is one thing I'm not clear on. Is the phone actually using the data or are you reporting some sort of accounting issue (i.e. your bill or online usage says you are using more data than what your phone shows)? If it is the former and the phone is actually using that much data, I just don't see how that could be an issue with AT&T (or any carrier). The carrier does not dictate to the phone when or how much cellular data to use, that is totally controlled by the phone. Besides, if other 4s users on other carriers are experiencing the same issue, that pretty much proves it is not a carrier issue.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 24 of 90
Teacher

I will keep you all posted when the issue gets resolved . As per AT&T the data updates through the night. And it's sending huge amounts of data too and From the phones to the data servers its a lil bug between ios5 and AT&T and other unnamed Carriers .. But I will keep every one posted with the final Out come . As I also just recived another call from Apple in re: to this matter just now @ 5.00 pm Thanks for all the input . again all I'm trying to do is make this known and maybe if it happens to any one else I hopefully have a answer for them as soon as this gets resolved
Message 25 of 90
Expert

@Kajphotos wrote:
@I will keep you all posted when the issue gets resolved . As per AT&T the data updates through the night. And it's sending huge amounts of data too and From the phones to the data servers its a lil bug between ios5 and AT&T and other unnamed Carriers .. But I will keep every one posted with the final Out come . As I also just recived another call from Apple in re: to this matter just now @ 5.00 pm Thanks for all the input . again all I'm trying to do is make this known and maybe if it happens to any one else I hopefully have a answer for them as soon as this gets resolved

send huge amounts of data in the middle of the night complaint is not limited to a iphone under any version of the IOS,there have been threads all over the other smartphones models about the exact same thing. have seen it on the focus (window 7.5), the inspire (android 2.3.4).

Message 26 of 90
Teacher

Well I can't speak for others ..but I can say it has affected me and my wife's new iPhone 4s and it never happend to my iPhone 4 .. And all I can say is what was told to me ..buy both company's . I thought these forums were to help & sheare issues with each other ..I will never post anything again .... How ever I will follow up with the issue at hand
Message 27 of 90
Expert

@Kajphotos wrote:
Well I can't speak for others ..but I can say it has affected me and my wife's new iPhone 4s and it never happend to my iPhone 4 .. And all I can say is what was told to me ..buy both company's . I thought these forums were to help & sheare issues with each other ..I will never post anything again .... How ever I will follow up with the issue at hand

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/Overnight-Data-on-Bill/m-p/1934469/highlight/true#M11...

this is what you are talking about right? There are similiar posts on other carriers forums also

Message 28 of 90
Teacher

Wrong .. Totally different
Message 29 of 90
Teacher

Ok I got a text today telling me that my case # and the problem was investigated and resolved ..upon me calling to find out what it was that was found ..and they told me their is a small problem with the new iOS and the way it transmist data .it is not affecting the whole network but just some costermers .. They are working on a solution with apple to fix this minor glitch ... They also strangely told me with the new ios5.0.1 should also help and just keep my eye on it and if any changes to please call them .. But to me it's weird that last night the new iOS update came out and today I got the text .... Well thanks to AT&T & apple for sticking it out ith me
Message 30 of 90
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support