Helpful Links

Insane data usage with the new iPhone 4s

Teacher

Insane data usage with the new iPhone 4s

I have switched to the new iPhone 4s for me and the wife ..from the iPhone 4 .. In one month the amount of data that these phone are reporting are insane .i have been on the phone with every tec from apple and AT&T ..with no resolution .and yes every service is shut down on both phones ..their is a problem that no one has admitted or found ..I have never went over my min or data in 8 yrs that I have been with AT&T their is also another discussion on the apple forums with the same issues and all of them are AT&T phones ..please AT&T find and fix this problem I really don't want to switch to another company
Message 1 of 90
Guru

Re: Insane data usage with the new iPhone 4s

I would take it to an Apple store and have them checked out. My wife and I switched from our iPhone 4 and in 3 weeks we have both used less than 300mb of data. Has to be something withy the phone.
Message 2 of 90
Teacher

That was done already I already spoke with a supervisor from apple and she told me their is a polem with AT&T and the new ios5 she has been in contact with the level 5 techs ..because I'm not the only one that this is happening too ..we just need a fix all AT&T dose is pass us off to tech support and then tell us to call apple ... Never had this problem with my 4 I'm still in my 30 window .and after 8 yrs with AT&T I'm ready to switch to sprint at lest I will have unlimited data
Message 3 of 90
Professor

Problem with AT&T and iOS 5? I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 5 when it came out 3 weeks ago, and I'm now at day 28 of my billing cycle and according to AT&T, I've only used about 500 MB, which is about normal.
Message 4 of 90
Professor

Have you checked to see if something was stuck in the outbox of your email app?  I have heard that this was a problem when people set up the iPhone 4s as a restore from backup of a previous iPhone.

Message 5 of 90
Guru

I would go back to Apple and have them swap out your phones! Because millions have iOS 5 and the 4S and don't have this problem. How about trying a new SIM card? I know at least 15 people with iOS5 and either an iPhone 4 or 4S and no one has this problem.
Message 6 of 90
Expert

Kajphotos wrote:
I have switched to the new iPhone 4s for me and the wife ..from the iPhone 4 .. In one month the amount of data that these phone are reporting are insane .i have been on the phone with every tec from apple and AT&T ..with no resolution .and yes every service is shut down on both phones ..their is a problem that no one has admitted or found ..I have never went over my min or data in 8 yrs that I have been with AT&T their is also another discussion on the apple forums with the same issues and all of them are AT&T phones ..please AT&T find and fix this problem I really don't want to switch to another company

try doing a full reset of the phone back to only the factory supplied applications, run like that for a while and monitor the usage - install nothing that did not come with the original phone. Then start adding applicaiton back in a controlled method and monitor data usage to see when it jumps. Suspect that it is a app running in the background, do you use the beta softwareont ephone - Siri?

Message 7 of 90
Tutor

The reason why you are using so much data is because in your settings the 4s has the icloud set to sync over wifi AND the celluar network. Go to your settings and turn that to WIFI ONLY and that will solve your data problems guarenteed.. Most people have that issue with the 4s..

Message 8 of 90

I have iCloud off and would prefer to sync to iTunes, so the WiFi only settings would only pertain to iCloud users, correct?

Message 9 of 90
Scholar

I think your better of using Wifi with all these new Smartphones

I get 1GB data every month but not always the case I once only had 500mb and myphone

used to chomp thru it like no tomrrow luckily I had it sorted with Vodafone and now the one GB I never

go over with lol

Message 10 of 90
Teacher

Update !!!  after getting tossed around like a pig pong ball and spoken too like a first time user of a iphone ..i recived a call from a apple  level 5 tech wich is the highest ..he told me that att is haveing a problem with the new ios5 reporting data to their servers .. he then called att  while i was on the phone and put us on a three way call and explaned to the att tech  what is going on ... the tech says ( we have been getting alot of calls about this issue but we still havent figured it out ) and that they will upgrade my package at no cost to me untill it gets resolved ..but any way take a look at this straight from the apple forums ...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3410990?start=0&tstart=0

P.S. all the above trouble shooting was done  and all apps were closed it was a ipod touch for a few days ..lol

Message 11 of 90
Scholar

Thats great news it must of been fun
3 way call the prob with all networks is they arent
Trained properly lol and you get all this mis-ends happening

Btw glad ur fixed dont have to worry over ur bill now lol
Message 12 of 90
Contributor

Ok , So many things wrong with this post . 

1. There is no tier 5 support with apple 

2. Apple doesnt do three way calls 

3. There is no unlimited data plan with AT&T 

{Please keep it courteous} , or you have been scammed and provided them with a Credit Card and will be charged {word filter evasion} by them . 

Message 13 of 90

The only unlimited data plan AT&T has are those that are grandfathered into it Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 90
Teacher

Never said that it was unlimited ..read the post it clearly say thay upgraded my plane .these forums are to help each other and make sure us as costermers are protected ..and af far as all of your negative input is totally un called for ..I have way better things to do then make this up ... I'm just posting from my experance I have been with AT&T since 2002 .. And if you take a moment and follow the apple link that I posted you will see what I'm talking about .. Ohh let me quess that is all made up too .do us all a favor keep your negativity to your self ..
Message 15 of 90
Share this topic
Announcements

iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is Here! Learn What’s New and How to Order

The Apple Watch Series 3 is Here! Learn how to have the freedom to go with just your watch!

The iPhone X (10) is on it's way!

Additional Support