Infuse screen sensitivity in car cradle

Highlighted
Tutor

Infuse screen sensitivity in car cradle

[ Edited ]

I'm running Gingerbread with the UCKL2 build. I had slight screen sensitivity problems immediately after the upgrade, but was able to resolve them by using SGS Screen Booster.

I'm trying out a car cradle, but am finding the touchscreen terribly unresponsive when in the cradle. I can't even unlock the screen. The phone works fine in my hand, whether held vertically or horizontally.

I'm wondering whether the problem is the Gingerbread upgrade or some kind of "proximity" setting issue that I don't understand.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 6 (376 Views)
Teacher

Re: Infuse screen sensitivity in car cradle

This could be the capacitance problem that others have commented on. Does the cradle let you touch the sides or back of the phone while you use the touchscreen? If so, see if that solves the problem.

Message 2 of 6 (346 Views)

cbitner wrote:

I'm running Gingerbread with the UCKL2 build. I had slight screen sensitivity problems immediately after the upgrade, but was able to resolve them by using SGS Screen Booster.

I'm trying out a car cradle, but am finding the touchscreen terribly unresponsive when in the cradle. I can't even unlock the screen. The phone works fine in my hand, whether held vertically or horizontally.

I'm wondering whether the problem is the Gingerbread upgrade or some kind of "proximity" setting issue that I don't understand.

Any suggestions?

Lots of people reported that the UCKL2 release had pretty severely compromised touchscreen responsiveness, which is apparently why UCKL2 was pulled (it is no longer being offered OTA.)

Leave it to AT&T to not leave well enough alone and insist that Samsung mess around with the touchscreen driver - While a few things were clearly nonoptimal in the codebase for the Rogers UXKG3 release, touchscreen support was NOT one of them.

If you look at all of the code wrapped by #ifdef CONFIG_TARGET_LOCALE_NAATT in the Galaxy S II (SGH-I777) kernel source code you'll be afraid - on the I777 it seems they got lucky and didn't break anything (but didn't seem to fix much either), but if you read the code it's obvious that if you mess up the tuning parameters bad things are going to happen - and that seems to be what happened with UCKL2 on the Infuse.

Message 3 of 6 (340 Views)
Tutor

Yes, touching the back of the phone and using my thumb on the screen seems to help. Not exactly the aid to safe driving I'd expected. Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 6 (294 Views)
Teacher

cbitner wrote:

Yes, touching the back of the phone and using my thumb on the screen seems to help. Not exactly the aid to safe driving I'd expected. Smiley Sad

As entropy512 mentioned, UCKL2 seems especially prone to this problem. UCLB3 is reportedly much better. (I've had no problems using UCLB3 myself.)

Message 5 of 6 (284 Views)

UCKL2 with a Rogers-based custom kernel should be fine too.

Message 6 of 6 (274 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.