Infuse Owners - Don't be so Quick to jump on the "Official Gingerbread" update when it comes out!

Contributor

Infuse Owners - Don't be so Quick to jump on the "Official Gingerbread" update when it comes out!

I have two samsung phones, the Captivate and the Infuse.  Well when the official 2.3.5 Gingerbread update came out for the Captivate the other day, I jumped on it.  So far I have been fairly happy with it except for one major problem.  First the pluses - Much more stable - have not had any problems with force closes or reboots.  Also it is definitely a lot faster than froyo and I like the differences in the battery notification at the top.  Now the one major drawback!  It cannot be rooted by any normal means, I had the 2.2 froyo version rooted and was able to debloat the phone (the upgrade put all the at&t apps back on my phone!)  and use titanium backup and several other root only apps.  Now in order to root the phone, it seems that I must somehow install a custom kernal (hard to do, when the phone will not let you change the root directory permissions so that I can put the kernal on the phone unless it is already rooted!) , then root the phone and then reinstall the original kernal. And not everyone who has done this has had success.  Many people have had to downgrade their operating systems on the Captivate back down to 2.1 in order to be able to root or install clockwork recovery.

After this instance with the Captivate, I decided to go a different route with my Infuse and loaded the newest MiUI Rom (2.3.7 - Gingerbread!).  Once again, very stable!  Very fast!  Also it changes your file storage system to a more efficient system other than what the stock firmware uses.  Only drawbacks (which aren't important to me) are that the hdmi supposedly does not work yet (Never used it anyway) and there are supposedly problems with bluetooth (seems to work fine for me!).   Oh and this rom is rooted when you install it!

So if you are really interested in Gingerbread, do some research (XDA web site!) and don't necessarily settle for waiting to upgrade to a locked system!  (BTW - there are Ice Cream Sandwich ROMS already out there for the captivate and a couple are in beta for the Infuse!)

Message 1 of 4 (484 Views)
Tutor

Re: Infuse Owners - Don't be so Quick to jump on the "Official Gingerbread" update when it

Can you tell me which version of Swype is part of the new Captivate ROM from Samsung? I'm hoping that has been updated, but am also waiting until I can be sure I know how to Root.

Thank you

Message 2 of 4 (464 Views)
Contributor

Re: Infuse Owners - Don't be so Quick to jump on the "Official Gingerbread" update when it

Swype version is 2.29.71.20184. Doesn't seem to have any noticeable improvements.
Message 3 of 4 (451 Views)
Highlighted

As far as custom kernels - nothing prevents you from flashing a custom kernel using Odin/Heimdall, or flashing a prerooted system image using Odin/Heimdall.

Being unable to root without exploits is a fairly common thing.  Was the same for Galaxy S II owners - not a problem for us, we had a clean system dump before launch thanks to a store rep getting a phone early, and I got a clean kernel dump within hours of launch using the aforementioned system image dump.  (Preroot the system image, flash it, dump kernel - now you've got a complete return-to-stock for kernel and system.)

Message 4 of 4 (418 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.