Infuse 4G update to 2.3 Gingerbread?

Scholar

Infuse 4G update to 2.3 Gingerbread?

Not sure I'd this topic has been started but I wanted to get one going.

Yes the infuse has 2.2.1 and all seems to work well but why not put 2.3 on a phone as good as this is a shame.

And I'd hope 2.3 would have Bluetooth voice over dialing cause that's a glarring omission at this point.

Any news?

Thanks

Bman
Message 1 of 54 (9,926 Views)
Contributor

Re: Infuse 4G update to 2.3 Gingerbread?

Is it possible to put Rogers ROM on ATT Phone?

Message 16 of 54 (3,979 Views)

aalmousa wrote:

Is it possible to put Rogers ROM on ATT Phone?

Yes.  Infused v2 on XDA was based on the Rogers ROM.  Some small kernel source tweaks were needed to get the Rogers kernel to play with the AT&T bootloaders - yay open source!

Unfortunately for a variety of reasons, the guy that released Infused v2 temporarily pulled his ROMs.  Some aspects of the Rogers firmware base don't get along with AT&T users:

1)  Rogers firmware is completely missing HDMI support

2)  The Rogers modem and RIL have data speed issues in some AT&T areas.

That said, I used a Rogers-derived firmware on my phone for two weeks and loved it.  I'm running an unofficial CM7.1 development/test release now.

The nice thing about Samsung phones is that they are REALLY difficult to hardbrick.  In fact it's nearly impossible to hardbrick an Infuse.  (Only one person has ever done it, and they volunteered to run an exceptionally dangerous experiment.)

Message 17 of 54 (3,768 Views)
Scholar

Entropy512 wrote:

The nice thing about Samsung phones is that they are REALLY difficult to hardbrick.  In fact it's nearly impossible to hardbrick an Infuse.  (Only one person has ever done it, and they volunteered to run an exceptionally dangerous experiment.)

I would love to hear about the "exceptionally dangerous experiment!" Sounds like you tried to nuclear fission or something! hehe.

Well, I am HOPING GB isn't fat and bloated cause since my "maintenance update" on 2.2 my phone is now routinely locking up on the data service. Before the update, never did a hard reboot. After update, pulling the battery 1 or twice a day.

Message 18 of 54 (3,767 Views)

BMan17 wrote:

Entropy512 wrote:

I would love to hear about the "exceptionally dangerous experiment!" Sounds like you tried to nuclear fission or something! hehe.

Well, I am HOPING GB isn't fat and bloated cause since my "maintenance update" on 2.2 my phone is now routinely locking up on the data service. Before the update, never did a hard reboot. After update, pulling the battery 1 or twice a day.

Well, a common theme on Samsung Galaxy S and similar devices is that running Gingerbread kernels with Froyo bootloaders causes weird "rainbow" artifacts in some cases.

So multiple attempts were made to flash a Rogers bootloader to an AT&T device.  In general the device refused to flash - it seems to be set up well to protect against hardbricking.  So after multiple go arounds, one of the devs figured out a way to flash the BML5 partition, and when that got flashed - brick.

So odin/heimdall seem to be unable to accidentally flash bootloaders, and if you can't damage the bootloader, you can't hardbrick the device into an unrecoverable state.  It's ALWAYS recoverable unless your USB port encounters a hardware failure.

Message 19 of 54 (3,662 Views)
Contributor

gingerbread isn't even out yet, you sound rediculous..how do you know what its gonna be like?

Message 20 of 54 (3,142 Views)
Contributor

Well we didn't seem to make the August deadline for the 2.3 update! Seems we are the poor stepchild, since some of the others got theirs. If there is anyone from ATT monitoring this thread, please give us an idea of when we might expect the update so we don't have to deal with hearsay and unrequited expectations.

Thanks
Message 21 of 54 (5,809 Views)
Master

Samsung has gotten a reputation in the USA of being slow with the phone updates especially when the phone is question is tied to a carrier and their bloatware.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 22 of 54 (5,802 Views)
Scholar

Yeah. I tried it yesterday and nothing. We're left out in the cold. And now the new Galaxy SII coming out it looks extremely similar to the Infuse. And will have 2.3.4!!
Message 23 of 54 (5,800 Views)
Contributor

Once again ATT delivers on their promise.........

Smiley Mad

Message 24 of 54 (5,498 Views)
Highlighted

LilyDi wrote:

gingerbread isn't even out yet, you sound rediculous..how do you know what its gonna be like?

Gingerbread has been out for months on other devices, so we know what general features can be expected.

Also, Gingerbread has been out for the Infuse since late July in Canada - Rogers released the infuse on their network with Gingerbread (2.3.3 to be specific) - many people are running Rogers-derived firmware on our phones, with the main limitations being that the Rogers RIL doesn't do HSPA+ and Rogers didn't release their device with MHL/HDMI support so it's completely missing from the firmware.

So we know what Gingerbread is going to be like - it's going to be like the Rogers release, plus AT&T bloat, plus proper HSPA+ and HDMI support.

Message 25 of 54 (5,454 Views)
Tutor

Still waiting........ :-(

Message 26 of 54 (5,350 Views)
Contributor

is there a way to push ATT to do it? just curious
Message 27 of 54 (4,673 Views)
Guru

Not really. They'll get around to it when they're ready.
Message 28 of 54 (4,648 Views)
Scholar

I tried my daily software update hoping that 2.3 will finally come through.

But no, I did get an update, but looks like just a maintenance update for 2.2.1

Build and kernal are now i997UCKH1  & 2.6.32.9

Is the Infuse the last of the phones to get the 2.3 update from the late July press release?

Message 29 of 54 (4,097 Views)
Contributor

I just got the same update.  It's about 14.2mb. Not sure what it provided.

Message 30 of 54 (4,083 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.