Infuse 4G update to 2.3 Gingerbread?

Scholar

Infuse 4G update to 2.3 Gingerbread?

Not sure I'd this topic has been started but I wanted to get one going.

Yes the infuse has 2.2.1 and all seems to work well but why not put 2.3 on a phone as good as this is a shame.

And I'd hope 2.3 would have Bluetooth voice over dialing cause that's a glarring omission at this point.

Any news?

Thanks

Bman
Message 1 of 54 (9,923 Views)
Contributor

Re: Infuse 4G update to 2.3 Gingerbread?

Message 2 of 54 (8,875 Views)
Scholar

well that is some positive news. so fingers are crossed! i wonder though, the release says "Captivate 4G." didnt know there was a Cappy 4G? so my other phne the Cappy 3G is a lame duck and will be stuck with Froyo?
Message 3 of 54 (8,820 Views)

Rogers is releasing the Infuse with Gingerbread today and Samsung released kernel sources for the Gingerbread kernel for the Infuse yesterday, so expect Odin-flashable dumps to be available within a few days.

Also a good chance of CM7 within a few weeks now.

Message 4 of 54 (8,781 Views)
Contributor

Sounds promising

Message 5 of 54 (8,728 Views)
Scholar

The biggest thing I want is the Bluetooth over voice dialing.

Especially nice that I will be able to pair to my BlueAnt Q2 headset.

And my wife's Cappy can be upgraded too!

Next we need to know what bugs are in 2.3, and if it's caused headaches for users!

Message 6 of 54 (8,646 Views)
Scholar

Oddly enough, I did a software check tonight justvtobsee if the gingerbread was pushed out to my infuse. And I should say I for this phone 5 weeks ago and never did a software check as it came with 2.2.1.

So update said I had a software update! So I was like cool, gingerbread is coming to my phone! The update was only 8MB, and thought that wasn't enough for a 2.3 update.

So it updated and my phone still says 2.2.1.

So nit sure what that update was for.....
Message 7 of 54 (8,612 Views)
Master

It was probably a maintenance update to fix a bug or two. I sure there is information out there about it. Maybe even on AT& T's support page for the phone.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 54 (8,599 Views)
Scholar

Yeah. I was going to check it out this morning.

Cause I figure the gingerbread update will be like a 100MB download?

Message 9 of 54 (8,586 Views)

That's a fairly old update - been around at least 1-2 months.  From Froyo UCKD5 to Froyo UCKE3.

Rogers Gingerbread is UCKG3.  AT&T Gingerbread doesn't exist yet.

Message 10 of 54 (8,567 Views)
Scholar

You got it. My phone is now UCKE3.

Well, maybe that makes sense since I got the on June 16th and I haven't even thought of doing a software update check till last night just to see if 2.3 came in, which I know wont happen for infuse for a while, but was giving it a shot!

Do you know what it fixed?
Message 11 of 54 (4,429 Views)
Professor

What's stopping you from doing voice dialing via Bluetooth with Froyo?
Message 12 of 54 (4,377 Views)

UCKE3 has a radio firmware update, not sure what else.  The firmware binary plus the updater executable doesn't leave much else for an 8M update.

All of the attention on XDA is on the Rogers UCKG3 Gingerbread release now...  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 54 (4,326 Views)
Contributor

Infuse user both wife and I.  I do pray, that AT&T checks GB good. Cause I have seen some posts on android central and a couple of other sites, that sprint customers are having issues with the GB upgrade. Yes, I know we are AT&T. But I was a Telecom mobile switch engineer and I know the cellular switch end of it can be an RF nightmare sometimes. I would rather have good testing and be a little patient than go through all that frustration.  I know I need to read more, I am new to Android, came from 3gs, and takes some getting used too but loving the freedom this awesome device provides. Amazing device speeds in reaction time... Thx...

Message 14 of 54 (4,189 Views)
Highlighted

The AT&T GB update will be garbage - bloated and laggy.  This is the definition of all factory AT&T firmwares unfortunately.  They always take forever to release updates in the name of "testing" but when the update comes out - it's always bloated and laggy compared to uncustomized "vanilla" firmware for similar hardware.  Really, if AT&T wants the best possible customer experience, then why are they continuing to allow Samsung to use RFS instead of ext4 as the filesystem on their phones - RFS is so notorious for poor performance that "Voodoo Lagfix" (automatic ext4 conversion) is a standard feature in all third-party firmwares for these phones and is #2 on the list of things third-party firmware developers for Samsung devices target (Clockworkmod Recovery being the #1 item...)

The Rogers Gingerbread firmware is awesome, other than the fact that it's missing HDMI/MHL support - this was an explicit conscious decision by Rogers not to have this feature.  Battery life with Gingerbread is FAR better than Froyo.

Message 15 of 54 (4,081 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.