Infuse 4G and HSPA+

Mentor

Infuse 4G and HSPA+

[ Edited ]

In the "About Phone" settings on my officially Gingerbread-updated Infuse, I usually see UMTS, which I know is 3G. I rarely see HSDPA, and when I do, it's only for a very short period of time.

An app called "Network Signal Info" shows that when my phone is in HSDPA, the speed is 7.2 mbps.

The Infuse 4G is capable of 21.1 mpbs down and 5.76 up, but speed tests I've done have never, ever exceeded 7 mbps down and 2 mbps up. Sometimes they're as low as 2.xx down and about 0.8 up. Why is that? I'm aware of the network load and everything, but I've still never gone faster than 7 up and 2 down.

Just to inform you, most of the time I'm in Western MD, in the 21532 ZIP code. Typing that ZIP code into the coverage map shows that I should be getting 4G speeds. Isn't there supposed to be the "enhanced backhaul" that lets the phone connect to actual HSPA+, not HSDPA? I've never seen HSPA+ on the phone.

Could someone please give me an insight on this? Why does the Infuse never download faster than 7.2 mbps and upload faster than 2 mbps?

Message 1 of 3 (507 Views)
Master

Re: Infuse 4G and HSPA+

The About screen on all Android phones are known to be misleading or inaccurate. So don't sweat by it.

UMTS will only give you about 300kbps of download speed. Download some speed test app and check the speed yourself.

Message 2 of 3 (467 Views)
Mentor

Re: Infuse 4G and HSPA+

foxbat121 wrote:

The About screen on all Android phones are known to be misleading or inaccurate. So don't sweat by it.

UMTS will only give you about 300kbps of download speed. Download some speed test app and check the speed yourself.

I've done that; in fact, I used various speed test websites, like speakeasy.net, speedtest.net (the app), testmy.net, and even the AT&T speed test site. Results varied across each site.

I'm mostly concerned with download speeds. The speakeasy.net  test results show that my download speeds are anywhere between 5-8 mbps, while my upload speed test results are anywhere from 0.9 to about 1.9 mbps. Speedtest.net results never went past 5 mbps down and 1.7 mbps up, and as for testmy.net, I'd be lucky to get even 4 mbps (it said that my download speeds were as low as 1.6 mbps and never higher than 4 mbps). The AT&T speed test reported similar results to speakeasy.net.

If I download an app larger than 1 MB from the Play Store, it downloads anywhere from 600 KB to almost 1 MB per second, which means my connection is anywhere from 5-8 mbps.

Are these the speeds that I should be getting? I think the speeds should be faster than this.

Message 3 of 3 (451 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.